Atmosphere versus Absynth

Author
Steve Mac
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 730
2007/04/02 22:33:10 (permalink)

Atmosphere versus Absynth

Is anyone familiar enough with these two (Absynth 4, by the way) to do a comparison. I already own Atmosphere, and am considering Abby for additional textural sounds (recognizing that I could tweak Atmosphere all day long!).

Thanks a lot,

Steve McNamara ~~ SignatureTunes Studios~~SoundClick

9 Replies Related Threads

rjt
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Atmosphere versus Absynth 2007/04/03 10:36:58 (permalink)
    I have both. They can be pretty similar in regards to textures, ambiances and drones. Atmo is stronger regarding general pads and Absyn in instrument emulations etc. If you find yourself using Atmo a lot, another great synth to explore is Ultrafocus. These three are the core of my atmospheric/textural/cinematic/new age etc. etc. songs.

Take care.

Talk is cheap; supply outweighs the demand.

Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people look bright before you hear them speak.

Jerry Jones bought the Dallas Cowboys, Andy Reid owns them!!

cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Atmosphere versus Absynth 2007/04/03 10:48:09 (permalink)
    How weird - I just posted the same question on the Rapture v. Absynth thread.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: Atmosphere versus Absynth 2007/04/03 10:57:28 (permalink)
    http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/atmos_gear.html

Notice one of the synths used to make some of the patchs is Absynth (this is actually answering on the question on the other thread).

Atmosphere doesnt have patchs of its own , per se, its a rompler (quite highly configurable by the looks of it). Absynth is a true synth in that it generates the sound the way a synth would. 2 different ways of doing things. Absynth is infinitely more customisable than Atmosphere, but to roll your own sounds you need to have a bit of techno knowledge. Atmosphere works quicker out of the tin and has some limits set upon it (like it needs space to hold all those loops)

Depends what you need.
    rjt
    RE: Atmosphere versus Absynth 2007/04/03 14:13:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: syrath

Atmosphere doesnt have patchs of its own , per se, its a rompler (quite highly configurable by the looks of it). Absynth is a true synth in that it generates the sound the way a synth would. 2 different ways of doing things. Absynth is infinitely more customisable than Atmosphere, but to roll your own sounds you need to have a bit of techno knowledge. Atmosphere works quicker out of the tin and has some limits set upon it (like it needs space to hold all those loops)

True on both counts: Atmo is a bit of rompler and Abs is more of a true synth. However, you can do a lot with Atmo, each sound combines up to two "romples" (is that a word??) and you can tweak envelopes etc. Plus, many of the romples (it is a word now!!) in Atmo are made of several synths. Abs can be pretty deep, but like a lot of synths, you can also start with tweaking and it comes with a lot of patches, plus access to many more on the NI website (in the user's group.)

Take care

Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people look bright before you hear them speak.

syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: Atmosphere versus Absynth 2007/04/03 14:19:21 (permalink)
    If atmosphere is anything like Stylus RMX then its far from being "limited" by being a rompler. Its more a case of Atmosphere is used to shape what is already there, IE from tis vast library of sounds. Whereas Absynth is a place where you have to craft the sound from scratch. Both come with their presets, both are very capable, and both have their place in peoples synth collections.
    rjt
    RE: Atmosphere versus Absynth 2007/04/03 17:15:28 (permalink)
    Atmosphere is very, very different from RMX, which I also own (as well as Triology--can you tell I like Spectrasonic synths!!) Atmo is much more like a Rompler with the ability to combine two of the romples, change some filter, amp envelope settings etc.

Steve Mac
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 730
    RE: Atmosphere versus Absynth 2007/04/05 21:23:52 (permalink)
    If you find yourself using Atmo a lot, another great synth to explore is Ultrafocus

Thanks RJT for the info, but it appears this product is discontinued:

http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/product.cfm?pid=4704

I'll check the manufacturer's website to see if there is a newer product that does the same thing.

Steve McNamara ~~ SignatureTunes Studios~~SoundClick

rjt
    RE: Atmosphere versus Absynth 2007/04/05 23:48:50 (permalink)
    That's too bad.... I always thought that was a highly underated romp-a-sizer. It, like Atmosphere, had an amazing number of samples. You could combine two of them together into one sound, and had about as much sound editing power as Atmosphere. The sounds (IMHO) were a bit more varied and brighter. Plus, they were broken down by synthesis type (for example there would be FM and under that would be a folder of leads, pads, drones, etc. etc.) I don't think it ever competed well with Atmosphere, although I thought it could do as much.

I looked on their website and I think "Synths Anthology" may be version two of Ultrafocus. Drop them an e-mail. If they have a demo, try it out. You may be surprised.

Take care

rjt
    RE: Atmosphere versus Absynth 2007/04/05 23:59:16 (permalink)
    Okay, did more snooping on the plugsound website and Synths Anthology is the updated Ultrafocus. You need an I-lock and if you have Ultrafocus (registered) the update is fairly inexpensive. They said there are improved effects etc. I would definitely give this a listen as it fits someplace between Atmo and Abby. Atmo is almost all pads (and a few leads)... while Abby, well, it is a full blown synth. Ultra-focus does good synth basses, pads, leads, etc. But can't tweak like Abby. Anyway, something to think about!

Take care

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1