programs.lst in rapture program folder?

Author
Pablo1234
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 192
2007/04/04 13:07:50 (permalink)

programs.lst in rapture program folder?

I was wondering how I could edit this file with notepad or something. I downloaded xp1 and xp2 and have a bunch of files I made and I would like to make my own default program list to load when I open Rapture. If this isn't the right file, how would I do this?

15 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: programs.lst in rapture program folder? 2007/04/04 14:24:03 (permalink)
    I would like to make my own default program list to load when I open Rapture. If this isn't the right file, how would I do this?
    I suppose that you could edit the program.lst in Notepad. That looks like it'd be very difficult.

Have you tried adding your own programs and rearrangements to the Programs folder, and then pressing F5 to refresh the Program Browser? If I'm not mistaken, this gets you where you want to be, and the programs.lst file gets updated as well.
    Pablo1234
    RE: programs.lst in rapture program folder? 2007/04/04 14:52:19 (permalink)
    ya I have no problems with updateing it, but I was wondering if I could edit this file without corupting it. I was going to write a VB program to edit it with a litsbox showing all files in the directory and notes that would get saved as an xml or ini file. This way when I am in the program browser I only have the patches I wan't and my app would have a list of all programs pluss notes with a checkbox next to them. When checkbox is enabled it would put the file name in the program.lst file. Also I wan't to be able to organize my files the way I wan't buy selecting a catogory and my ap would move the file to the corasponding folder. Its not much work doing this in VB but I'm just not sure how editing this file would work as it has null carages and such. If nobody knows I'm just gona give it a try and see.

On a side note, I am wondering if their is a more acurate way to set the pitch modulation step? I noramly would click the bar and select set snap and then just move it till I get it wher I wan't but they don't seem to have a value box anywhere. Any Ideas what I am not seing or is their no value displayed per step?
    b rock
    RE: programs.lst in rapture program folder? 2007/04/04 15:03:00 (permalink)
    If nobody knows I'm just gona give it a try and see.
    I honestly can't tell you one way or another.
    Any Ideas what I am not seing or is their no value displayed per step?
    No, there's no absolute value per-step as such. It's all relative to the Depth that you have set. You're not missing any indicator. For what it's worth, I adjust steps the same way that you are. Sometimes I might builld a "stepped" .wav in an audio editor, and Extract Shape from Sample File as an alternate route, but most of the time it's by mouse and ear. I supplement that with the keyboard shortcuts and the context menu items.
    post edited by b rock - 2007/04/04 15:05:50
    Pablo1234
    RE: programs.lst in rapture program folder? 2007/04/04 15:12:39 (permalink)
    ahh ok, I'm primaraly a guitar player and Was just wondering becuss I use the Pitch step gen for some droning sounds that I play over, also makes good base lines. I made 4 difrent patches I run at the same time on difrent chanels with difrent base riffs and I use each for a difrent part in the song, and its synced with tempo so I can get funky with it and still always be on time. Its a fun feature but hard to draw the things out. I may try it with the wave editor like you wher saying, thinking square wave steps like a noise pattern then hu?
    b rock
    RE: programs.lst in rapture program folder? 2007/04/04 15:58:41 (permalink)
    I may try it with the wave editor like you wher saying, thinking square wave steps like a noise pattern then
    Yes. The advantage (if you know exactly the results that you're looking for) is that you can set Regions (in Sound Forge, anyway) to divide into a number of selection "steps". Then you use Volume levels in each Region to dial in whatever you need in detail for each "step level".

What to keep in mind is the desired Depth at the results. With a two-octave destination, you can go halfway up in the .wavfile, and get an octave. You get the idea. I didn't mention this specifically, but doing the same type of operation for a user defined LFO can be even more versatile.

Set up your audio editor "steps", load it as an LFO, and use Copy LFO to Step to get it into the step generator. The advantage here is that you can adjust the phase of the LFO with Shift+drag on the waveform GUI itself, and have that reflected in the Copy operation to the step generator. Adjustable 'start and stop' points.

I'm also primarily a guitarist.
    Pablo1234
    RE: programs.lst in rapture program folder? 2007/04/04 16:20:59 (permalink)
    Very cool, its funny how I compleatly understood what you just said after only playing with rapture for a few days on the demo and I just installed it this morning. Its a pritty impressive app whitch seams limitless. I was playing with the piano sounds earlyer to try to get a supertramp sound from "Goodbye Stranger" and couldn't even come close, But I did make 4 other patches in the process lol.
    b rock
    RE: programs.lst in rapture program folder? 2007/04/04 17:30:41 (permalink)
    Very cool, its funny how I compleatly understood what you just said
    It's funnier than you may know. I don't get that kind of answer very often.
    Come back to this thread if you get stuck. It doesn't appear like that's going to be necessary, though.
    Pablo1234
    RE: programs.lst in rapture program folder? 2007/04/04 17:55:56 (permalink)
    I am kind of stuck trying to fuiger out if the amplitud of my waveform is 100% and -100% and 0 is center pitch. This is what I think - If I have a squar wave that is 0db for 20ms and then gose high to 12db for 20ms then moves to -12db for 20ms (scale set to 1200cents) - I set my steps to 4. If I play a C4 I would get a pulse of C4 - C5 - C3 - C4 octives of each other.

On a side note I dl'ed you patches and am playing with "TB Zero G-String". Wow it has 128 steps hahaha, its crazy. I love the wigle element in it. I'm trying to break it down how you built this one and I'm blown away with how many things are going on and you havent even used all the elements.
    post edited by Pablo1234 - 2007/04/04 18:03:28
    b rock
    RE: programs.lst in rapture program folder? 2007/04/04 18:22:38 (permalink)
    This is what I think -
    The process sounds about right. Maximum and minimum waveform values yield maximum and minimum Depth in the end product.
    Two things, though (unless I'm missing something):

1). You're really trying to span a total range of two octaves. So set the Depth to 2400 cents in an Extract Shape operation. The Step Gen "adds" to the base note input value in only one direction: Up. So, to get C4 - C5 - C3 - C4 from a base note of C4, set the Transpose to -12 in the Multisample editor window.

Now (RP 1.1), you can do a lot of the same types of things using tempo-synced Pitch EGs, the Snap toggle, and looping back from the sustain point. Again, the EG is uni-directional, but this time, you can travel up OR down (positively or negatively).

2). If you're just doing the same process in a user-defined LFO, the Depth of 1200 cents is correct. It's bidirectional travel. Up an octave, and down an octave, alternating with waveshape around a center base note value. In this case, you wouldn't need a Copy LFO to Step operation at all.
    TB Zero G-String
    I "bookended" that patch set with a couple of similar showcase presets. To isolate or mix down the Elements easily, use channel aftertouch, and two controls set to mod wheel (CC#1), and CC#2. Or just shut down an Element switch or two.

If you want a complete analysis, start another thread (on any preset), and I'll break it all down in detail. Or just have fun exploring the process.
    Yes, fine-tuning 128 steps with trills, octave jumps, and such was a real ****.
    post edited by b rock - 2007/04/04 18:37:05
    Pablo1234
    RE: programs.lst in rapture program folder? 2007/04/04 18:33:47 (permalink)
    OK thats what I thought, I real am looking at doing more than octives like C4 - D4 would be 0db and 2db step, correct? thats with a 1200 cent range. 100 cents being a half step. I play around with modes alot when I drone so I kinda need to be in control of th harmonic content in the steps. Would be coule to be able to set up a kind of step that would stay in key with my mode. Like running through an arpegio 1-3-5 type thing but make the 3 go flat when I play a certin note.
    b rock
    RE: programs.lst in rapture program folder? 2007/04/04 18:46:52 (permalink)
    like C4 - D4 would be 0db and 2db step, correct? thats with a 1200 cent range. 100 cents being a half step.
    Again, it does sound like the right track, but we may be using different editors or approachs. Set your Depth, then divide the maximum and minimum .wav limits by an appropriate amount. Depth of 1200, 100 cents per-semitone, and you've got 12 distinct levels to hit from absolute minimum to absolute maximum. A few times around the block, and it'll all be second-nature to you.
    I play around with modes alot
    Oh, man. Don't get me started on Scala. Just click on that diagonal line in the Pitch Keytrack (below the LFO), and see what you've got to choose from. It's not all modes there, but it's not that hard to roll your own with the Scala (free) application.
    Pablo1234
    RE: programs.lst in rapture program folder? 2007/04/04 19:06:38 (permalink)
    O wow, this si getting crazy. My brain hurst lol. Now I need to fuiger out how to use them properly. I see their are difrent vertions of each type of scale ie cromatic verses diatonic and such. I'm gessing I need to set them for each element? I looked for Scala on google and found some interesting info on a french opra house, a telecomunications firm and a part of the auditory canal but no free program to roll my own. Ya have a link to it for me? Any sugetions in implementing theis files? any pitfalls or traps with them?
    b rock
    RE: programs.lst in rapture program folder? 2007/04/04 19:30:13 (permalink)

Everything that you ever wanted to know about Scala, and the free download of the Scala application. You can take this as deeply or as simply as you want to venture. Modes are just re-arranging around the equal temperament of MIDI's default mapping. I've got a primer thread around here somewhere (Scala 101, maybe?).

Yes, if you want to use the same Scala file across multiple Elements, you've got to load the same .scl in each (or Copy/Paste Elements). I've got some tips on speeding up that process around here as well (something like RP/DP: Bloopers, Outtakes, and Practical Jokes?).

This is embarrassing. I don't even know where my own stuff is at. Overcome by volume.

If you want to see one unconventional use for Scala, check out the TB Honky Tonk Scala preset from the same patch set. Six slightly different Scala files, loaded across all 6 elements, to create a detuning effect that's key- and chord-dependent.
    post edited by b rock - 2007/04/04 19:35:44
    Pablo1234
    RE: programs.lst in rapture program folder? 2007/04/04 20:47:45 (permalink)
    I found it, their is a link in the chm doc under the microtuning section. I am gona play with it eventualy but I think I'm better off starting from the front of the program and working my way through all the options and such. Seams complicated and I don't know enough about synth programing yet to be jumping ahaid of all the other stuff.
    post edited by Pablo1234 - 2007/04/04 20:49:13
    Pablo1234
    RE: programs.lst in rapture program folder? 2007/04/06 02:47:08 (permalink)
    I have given up on making a patch that sounds like the Goodbye strangers Supertramp sound, I downloaded Mr.Tram and its scary awesome.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1