Glass Window in my Booth

Author
jscotty
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2007/04/14 23:27:28 (permalink)

Glass Window in my Booth

I am planning on building a 4x6 recording booth with a 6 foot glass window (using one of the sections of the double-payne glass from my old patio door) and for deadening material I have a bunch of seat cushions that came from hotel ballroom chairs. They are 18"x18" and they are about 4 inches thick. The cloth covering appears to have a burlap-like cloth even though its not burlap. So this leads me to a few questions:

#1. Will this glass window affect the recording adversely? I like to be able to see the person inside as I am recording them from the outside plus I want to resemble the "real" studio look.

#2. Will the 4 inch seat cushions be thick enough to get a good sound or should I double up on the layers? I had planned on installing them tightly side-by-side. Should I put spacing between the cushions before I attach them to the walls? Sound isolation is not as much of an issue for me as the ability to get a good recording.

#3. I don't want the booth to get too "stuffy" inside. Can I go with an open ceiling if I make my walls 6.5 feet tall or will a closed in ceiling give me a better sound?

#4. Does building a 4-wall booth make sense or am I better off just building a half-wall partition?

This booth will be built in a commercial office building. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

5 Replies Related Threads

DW_Mike
    Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6907
    RE: Glass Window in my Booth 2007/04/15 22:15:08 (permalink)
    Hey jscotty, check out some of these. You might get some ideas of what you need.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=vocal+isolation+booth&btnG=Google+Search

Mike

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
    GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
    32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
    2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
    1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
    Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
    Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
    Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
    Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Glass Window in my Booth 2007/04/16 11:45:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jscotty

I am planning on building a 4x6 recording booth with a 6 foot glass window (using one of the sections of the double-payne glass from my old patio door) and for deadening material I have a bunch of seat cushions that came from hotel ballroom chairs. They are 18"x18" and they are about 4 inches thick. The cloth covering appears to have a burlap-like cloth even though its not burlap. So this leads me to a few questions:

#1. Will this glass window affect the recording adversely? I like to be able to see the person inside as I am recording them from the outside plus I want to resemble the "real" studio look.

#2. Will the 4 inch seat cushions be thick enough to get a good sound or should I double up on the layers? I had planned on installing them tightly side-by-side. Should I put spacing between the cushions before I attach them to the walls? Sound isolation is not as much of an issue for me as the ability to get a good recording.

#3. I don't want the booth to get too "stuffy" inside. Can I go with an open ceiling if I make my walls 6.5 feet tall or will a closed in ceiling give me a better sound?

#4. Does building a 4-wall booth make sense or am I better off just building a half-wall partition?

This booth will be built in a commercial office building. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

How much isolation are you trying to acheive? What kind of money are you looking to spend on this? I am building my studio and there are a few things I kinda screwed up on but can't turn back now. My local glass supplier advised me to use laminated glass instead of tempered (probably what's in your patio door). The glass worked wonders. As far as absorbing the sound within the booth, I don't think the cushions is going to cut it. You probably want to make the room completely dead and most of the wall surfaces will need to be a broadband absorber. The open ceiling will allow sound to escape so that will breech all of the measures you've taken to isolate booth.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    piano_red
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Glass Window in my Booth 2007/05/01 10:42:43 (permalink)
    One thing I have seen done on booth or control room glass is its tilted so if you get a reflection it will bounce either up or down to an absorbing material - if you are wanting a dead booth. If using separate windows creating your own air gap between them, sometimes the control room will be straight up and the recording room will have a slant - so the air gap is bigger at the bottom than the top. This is probably more of an issue on larger areas but its worth thinking about. Good luck.

fwc
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Glass Window in my Booth 2007/05/01 11:07:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jscotty

I may depend on the size of the glass and how it's installed. Most of those windows are designed so there are two glass panels and the one inside the studio or booth is tilted out at the top or maybe both. Some other tips I've seen is to use two different thickness of glass so they can't resonate at the same frequency. You also want to float the glass in a gasket of some kind to keep it from making direct contact with the frame. You can also keep the size down by making it wide but not very tall and at eye level in the center.

Another idea would be to use monitors and video cameras just make sure your LCD monitors don't make any noise. The video rig would give you a high tec look rather then the old school "real" studio look.

Oh, and the video system could double as a security system... or at least tell everyone it does...
    post edited by ohhey - 2007/05/01 11:24:51
    bwmac
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 146
    RE: Glass Window in my Booth 2007/05/01 11:20:42 (permalink)
    I think what you are planing will work fine, but who knows untill you try, right.
    I was surprised how dead some foam and hanging blankets make an area.
    The angleing of the walls is a great plan. It should look like draculas coffin,
    if you know what I mean

The size will be importent as the reverb or natural acoustic will be directlly proprotional
    to the size vs padding. I think the pillows that you plan on useing should work. IMO
    You can put a dryer vent size hole on the back behind a cushion and attach a
    dryer flex hose to a small fan or ac or dehumidifier unit for fresh air.
    Please let us or me know how it turns out with maybe a picture of it or two as you build.
    Brad
    post edited by bwmac - 2007/05/01 11:28:37

bwmac
    ASUS M2N-E bios-10 AMD 64 X2 6000 ~ 4G 800 DDR2
    windows XP PRO 64 EDITION SONAR 6 PRODUCER
    MOTU 828 mkll.

ITS A LONG WAY TO THE TOP, IF YOU ROCK AND ROLL

Its not about the money, Its about the music.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1