Can I get some critical evaluations of my first major piece?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
droddey
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5147
RE: Can I get some critical evaluations of my first major piece? 2007/05/12 18:04:53 (permalink)
Well, it is supposed to be a contemplative tune, not a hooky type tune, so I guess it's doing what it's supposed to be doing if you think it has no real hook. And this is just the opening part. The subsequent parts will get more full and have more going on. And I'm still going to be adding a few more 'accents' in this opening part yet. But yeh, it's supposed to be a bit 'Floydian', with a fairly long intro to warm it up before it gets into the meat of the tune.

I find it interesting that you don't think it flows, when I'm thinking that it flows too much :-) Maybe we disagree on what flowing is, but if anything it seems to get a little 'audio wallpaper' in nature due to lack of rough edges. There again, that'll change as it moves forward and gets more agressive.

The akward part you could expand on a bit, since it's definitely not supposed to be awkward, so that's bad. What do you find awkward about it?

Having said all of that, it *is* a proof of concept in recording. Everything I've do so far is, until I feel I'm ready to start working on something that's going to take some real sweat and tears. I want to know that I'm not wasting my time before I go down that road. But, it's supposed to a pretty proof of concept :-)

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: Can I get some critical evaluations of my first major piece? 2007/05/12 20:46:55 (permalink)
Just on a whim I speeded it up 20 percent - mangles the drums slightly - but must say, sortof does it for me, it's certainly a decent tune, just a bit too contemplative at that speed for my taste. Maybe when the drums come in after the intro (19 secs), it could just a bit of extra 'body' of a bass over the piano chords, but that's arbitrary. Nice.

[edit: forget the bass, but do check the tempo change, it's a snap in Audacity without changing pitch]
post edited by Roflcopter - 2007/05/12 20:52:14

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
kwhetzel
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Can I get some critical evaluations of my first major piece? 2007/05/12 21:14:48 (permalink)
Very nice and relaxing. Love the DimPro sax. Can't believe that it sounds that realistic. For some reason, this songs makes me think of the movie "Sideways". Don't know why. Probably because of the sax.
droddey
RE: Can I get some critical evaluations of my first major piece? 2007/05/12 21:52:26 (permalink)
I love Sideways, BTW. A favorite movie of mine.

On the extra body on the piano, the Dim Pro pianos are just weak really. I've got a great sounding, much more full bodied SoundFont piano, but the silly sfz soundfont player won't play it right. It chokes all the notes. I'd love to switch over to that one because it would sound hugely better.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
pistolpete
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1584
RE: Can I get some critical evaluations of my first major piece? 2007/05/12 22:04:07 (permalink)
I thought the textures were really cool. It was pretty good.
I did think the sax didn't sound very realistic because the notes were held pretty long, however it sounded good. Most people wouldn't notice anyways.
droddey
RE: Can I get some critical evaluations of my first major piece? 2007/05/12 22:10:40 (permalink)
My saxophonist is a circular breather :-)

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
droddey
RE: Can I get some critical evaluations of my first major piece? 2007/05/13 04:54:02 (permalink)
Man, you learn something every day. I found today, just by wandering across a thread on the SONAR forum, that SONAR doesn't really support stereo panning in the on-track pan controls. All it's doing is just throwing out as much of the channel on the other side as you've panned away from. This has been at the core of so many of my problems and I didn't know it.

This is why instruments sounded so bad when panned fairly hard either direction. And things like why does the stupid piano sound whimpy when it first comes in, but then sounds more full later. It's because the piano is pretty wide across the image and when I panned it right during the intro, the left side, where the low notes are, was just being thrown away.

So, it turns out that by just grabbing a simple little free plugin, I can get the kind of panning that SONAR should be providing already. It basically splits the stereo into two monos (internally), and lets you pan each side as you would like. This has made a HUGE difference. Check this version out and compare it to the preview #12 above.

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/TmpAudio/PainSongPreview13.wma

So not only does this allow panning correctly, but it also provides a very simple and straightforward way to control the stereo image width of each track. I was using the Waves stereo image on the piano before, but that was kind of overkill and introduces it's own kinds of artifacts because it's really for expanding mono tracks via pysychoacoustic tricks, AFAIK. This little utility does it simply and straightforwardly.

So in this version I was able to put each instrument where I want it, at the width I want it, and they don't lose body and sound quality when panned because they aren't losing half of their stereo signal (which was one reason the sax was sounding so crappy compared to the original version I had back when.) The level of clarity is improved immensely as well because the instruments are pushed into their respective areas in the mix.

I really, really wish I'd known this a long time ago, because I've suffered so much over this, thinking it was me and my lack of understanding of how to get a good sound, when it was the dang tools.
post edited by droddey - 2007/05/13 16:13:45

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1