sfz's and linking eg's and filters in Rapture

Author
Dan_E10
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
2007/04/26 17:13:11 (permalink)

sfz's and linking eg's and filters in Rapture

I started trying to learn to do some simple things with sfz files in Rapture. I was trying to recreate a sound from Arturia's Moog Modular V demo. It used two sawtooth waves slightly detuned and a third saw one octave below the other two. They are all routed into the same amp eg and filter in the Moog demo. I wasn't succesful in finding a way to chain the filters and eg's between different elements in Rapture so I set it up as a two element patch with one set to multi 3 and the other transposed an octave down. It got to be a bit of a pain tweaking one set of eg's and filter cutoffs and then copying them to the second element. So, I set up an sfz file so I could load 3 sawtooth waves into one element and only have to worry about tweaking one set of filter and amp eg's. This worked pretty well, however it seems Rapture will only transpose the waves up 2 or 3 octaves. Then the pitch of the higher saws saturate instead of continuing to ascend with higher keys. This brings me to my questions. With sfz's is this behavior normal or have I set up things incorrectly? Alternatively, is there a way to link up filters and eg's between elements in rapture so I could just fiddle with one set of dsp and load these waves as wavetables instead? I know this is kind of defeating some of the purpose and power of having 6 elements with separate dsp chains, but it would make doing some simple analog type patches a bit easier.
thanks,
Dan

4 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: sfz's and linking eg's and filters in Rapture 2007/04/26 17:27:21 (permalink)
    Rapture will only transpose the waves up 2 or 3 octaves. Then the pitch of the higher saws saturate instead of continuing to ascend with higher keys
    Did you have oscillator=on after your <region> sample=xxxx.wav?
    is there a way to link up filters and eg's between elements in rapture so I could just fiddle with one set of dsp and load these waves as wavetables instead?
    If most of the changes are minor ones to the EGs, I use Copy/Paste Envelope, etc. If the Elements are closely related, except for minor transpose and multisample adjustment, I build one Element in a complete state. Then I use Copy/Paste Element to duplicate it, and make the isolated changes.

That way, you're bringing the filters, DSP settings, envelopes, and all with you. It's less repetitive work.
    Dan_E10
    RE: sfz's and linking eg's and filters in Rapture 2007/04/27 10:05:57 (permalink)
    Awesome, thanks Tom! I didn't have oscillator set at all in my sfz. Adding oscillator=on did the trick. It also seemed to change the transposition or root key somehow. Does this command cause it to treat the sample as a single cycle then, ignoring the root key? I don't see anything about the oscillator command in the sfz spec over at the rgc audio website (http://www.rgcaudio.com/sfzformat.htm) but I did find some references to the sfz format being expanded at some point. Is oscillator a newer command? Where else can I get sfz info other than at RGC's site?
    thanks,
    Dan
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: sfz's and linking eg's and filters in Rapture 2007/04/27 11:36:55 (permalink)
    It also seemed to change the transposition or root key somehow.
    Is it a stock wavetable that you're using? I get some unusual results from homemade wavetables, centered around the file length. Without any external .sfz adjustments, you should be coming in centered on middle C [MIDI Note 60].
    Is oscillator a newer command? Where else can I get sfz info other than at RGC's site?
    'Oscillator=' is newer than that reference. Simon Cann's [Cakewalk] Synthesizers book has an extensive reference section in the back. Just heed the written disclaimer, and realize that not everything listed is going to work in every (or perhaps any current) synth. It requires more than a little experimentation.

I don't know if you have Dimension Regular/ LE / Pro or not, but I learned the most from examining the provided .sfz files there. Check out some of the stuff that Rene and Chad Beckwith [Cakewalk] have put together, especially in Pro's Expansion Packs. That's where a lot of the newer stuff gets 'broken in' and revealed. A great deal of it is directly transferrable to Rapture.
    Dan_E10
    RE: sfz's and linking eg's and filters in Rapture 2007/04/27 19:04:24 (permalink)
    Is it a stock wavetable that you're using?

It is one of the stock wavetables, 018 - saw ober.wav. I think I'll break down and get Simon's book, everyone here has really raved about it. I do have Dimension LE so I'll take a look at some of those sfz's and do some more experimenting.
    thanks!
    Dan
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1