Transfering Tracks

Author
ping
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
2007/05/01 04:39:52 (permalink)

Transfering Tracks

Hi there

I am a new user of Sonar 5 and I am about to start the process of transfering my 16 track masters from my Fostex D-160 into Sonar

How do I set it up so that I can record 16 MONO tracks all at once and is it possible to monitor the process?

I am using 'Lightpipe' into RME Hammerfall into 2.8Ghz PC then 'Lightpipe' to Ramsa DA7 digital mixer

Thanks in advance for any help or tips

Cheers
AF

If I knew then what I know now!

2 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Transfering Tracks 2007/05/01 11:30:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ping

Hi there

I am a new user of Sonar 5 and I am about to start the process of transfering my 16 track masters from my Fostex D-160 into Sonar

How do I set it up so that I can record 16 MONO tracks all at once and is it possible to monitor the process?

I am using 'Lightpipe' into RME Hammerfall into 2.8Ghz PC then 'Lightpipe' to Ramsa DA7 digital mixer

Thanks in advance for any help or tips

Cheers
    AF

Yes, you can do all that. RME has a great software mixer that comes with the Hammerfall you can use to montior with or you can use input monitoring in Sonar. If you do all 16 at once the latency won't matter, they will all be delayed by the same amount but will record with the same starting time stamp no matter what you hear. Using the RME mixer you will get no latency at all.

In Sonar the inputs of the RME will show up as both stereo pairs and mono left and right for each pair. That will create a huge list of inputs so you just have to get them right and select the correct one for each track. I would make a template of that once you get it done so you can start the next song with the same settings.

As always make sure the Sonar project is the same sample rate as your source, but record at 24 bit if you can, I think the RME will let you do that even if the source is 16bit, it will just add zeros to pad the rest. That way if you edit those wav files you will be working with all those values and get better sounding files in the end. That also lets you add new tracks at 24bit to the project.

Also make sure everything is working off the same sample rate clock. It could be a trick since you have more then two devices. I would connect the Fostex directy to the RME and use the RME software mixer to set your monitoring levels and come out of the RME to the Ramsa if needed to monitor all you need is stereo since the RME software mixer is doing the monitor mix so you could use SPDIF out of the RME to the Ramsa or ADAT.
    post edited by ohhey - 2007/05/01 11:40:11
    ping
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Transfering Tracks 2007/05/02 02:40:35 (permalink)
    Hi Frank

Thanks for the info - much appreciated

Cheers
    AF

If I knew then what I know now!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1