Ways to capture electro-acoustic guitar sound

Author
Siman.M
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2007/05/02 06:29:43 (permalink)

Ways to capture electro-acoustic guitar sound

When I'm recording electric guitar I usually just mic up the amp and run that through a mixer then to the sound card. But when I do this with my electro acoustic it loses so much tone and sounds horrible. How do you capture your acoustic guitar sound?

6 Replies Related Threads

artsoul
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1985
    RE: Ways to capture electro-acoustic guitar sound 2007/05/02 06:32:41 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Ways to capture electro-acoustic guitar sound 2007/05/02 07:29:47 (permalink)
    Use 2 mic's t recourd acoustic/electric guitar. A large condenson 6" from the hole off axiss and a sm57 dynamic micby the neck and mic itt as close as you can , like 3-6 inches.
    You can also usse the pickup in the guitar for a total of 3 tracks. Record tham on fdferent tracksand mnever bounce them together, always keep them seperate, Each mice will go into its owun track in sonar, so you will have a total of 3 tracks in sonar for acoustic guitar.. Yoy can use these 3 tracks to get a nice sound without using EQ, because of the different places of the mic's. Mix it to your liking and your off to record another track.
    CJ

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Spinedoc
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 574
    RE: Ways to capture electro-acoustic guitar sound 2007/05/02 20:49:50 (permalink)
    search for "Mama Bear", a hardware DI box that is getting good press
    jungfriend
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 746
    RE: Ways to capture electro-acoustic guitar sound 2007/05/03 02:20:57 (permalink)
    If you have a good sound coming out of the amp then you need to experiment with microphones and mic placement until you find the right combination/sweet spot(s). If the sound coming out of the amp is not so good then no combination of mics and placement is going to make it much better. Most electric guitar amps don't really have the tonal range to handle acoustic guitar properly. They squish the highs and lows and focus on midrange, and this is mostly because the speaker cabinets use only one kind of speaker. Without a tweater to get the highs and woofer to get the lows you end up losing a lot of the tonal range of acoustic guitar. This is why many acoustic players plug into the board for live performances; that way they can use the wider tonal range of P.A. speakers. Either that or they use an acoustic guitar amp that has a different speaker configuration than an electric amp.

When I am tracking electric/acoustic guitar (I have several: Gibson L5, Gibson L4, Gibson ES347, Taylor T5 Thinline, Gibson ES175) I usually roll the treble off on the guitar, and then use an A/B/Y splitter. I send one output to my PODxT PRO, and the other into a DI (I use a UA LA610 these days). I don't track in stereo. I prefer two mono tracks, but there are plenty of people who like stereo effects on their guitars. On the POD I have a preset that I have modified to my taste. Pretty clean with a slight delay, and then with the LA610 I like to add a little tube warmth. I don't use any reverb or chorus, but sometimes I like to pitch shift the POD track a little to fatten up the sound. To my ears this makes a really good guitar sound, and captures the guitar well without drowning it in too many recording techniques.

Hope that helps,
    Paul

Sonar X2 PE, ADK Core i7 920 3.6ghz 12gb, UAD-2 Quad,  2x20"+2x19" LCDs, Focal CMS 50, POD HD500, Layla 3G, PoCo mkII PCI-e, Tranzport, Edirol M-16DX, Remote SL61, Mackie MCU, NI Kore 2, NI Komplete, NI Maschine, etc.
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Ways to capture electro-acoustic guitar sound 2007/05/03 10:01:49 (permalink)
    I do a DI in stereo right up the middle. 1 LCD mic near the bridge panned hard left in mono. 1 SCD near where the neck joins the body, pointed slighty towards the sound-hole, panned hard right in mono. Also, take in consideration that you're going have to play with the mic positionong a bit,( distance, etc. ) to find that "sweet spot". After all that, mixing it all together for a nice blend of sounds. Remember that, even if one track sounds "ugly" by itself, the total mix of all the guitar tracks will compliment each other. You're definitly going to have to experiment a bit on this one. Room acoustics, type of guitar, mics, playing style, are all a factor. I also leave my keyboard amp on as I'm DI'ing, so the mics can pic up the sound as well. Whatever works.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Ways to capture electro-acoustic guitar sound 2007/05/03 20:17:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Siman.M
    How do you capture your acoustic guitar sound?

two mics in an x-y configuration, one SD condenser, one dynamic. the mics line up at the point where the neck hits the soundhole, the condenser points toward the sound hole and the dynamic points toward the neck.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1