An old...new song...of sorts...????

Author
wickerman
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1039
2007/05/03 20:58:35 (permalink)

An old...new song...of sorts...????

Seems we all like to post in waves....get it??? waves??? Yeah - I'm full of horrible puns.

I was diggin through the folders that are the music I've done for years now and found something I did on Guitar Tracks 2 back in 2002 - as a matter of fact this was my first ever digital recording. I don't have the original project - just the mixed down wav - so I imported and cleaned it up a little bit.

This was done right after I was left as the only member of wickerman, used a computer mic and my acoustic - 4 tracks of just a short instrumental.

Everknown (redux 2007)

Take a listen, just thought I'd share something from the past.

10 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: An old...new song...of sorts...???? 2007/05/04 11:28:48 (permalink)
    Terry - for recording with a computer mic I think this is fantastic! It absolutely would have been better with better equipment, but for what you were working with I think it's great!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: An old...new song...of sorts...???? 2007/05/04 12:23:14 (permalink)
    That was nice Terry, i enjoyed, It is always fun to go back and listen to old stuff we did when just starting out in this hobby.

Here's one i did in 2002 with Acid Pro, there is no midi just guitar and loops for drums, the mix is all wrong, and the drums are off in the beginning but it was a blast to do, the song was done in one evening, in response to someone on the forum asking the question "how many old farts does it take to rock and roll", then someone else suggested we do a contest to do a song with that as either the title or subject matter. http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=133130&T=6103
    post edited by Robomusic - 2007/05/04 12:25:42

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    wickerman
    RE: An old...new song...of sorts...???? 2007/05/04 18:34:19 (permalink)
    Thanks, I didn't have the slightest clue what I was doing. The mixdown even still had my verbal count off at the beginning...so you know I didn't know what I was doing - didn't know how to edit it out. That was maybe about 3 weeks into having GT2. I think all I figured out was how to add a CW effect and adjust my levels similer to my old Fostex tape machine. I still am a bit suprised that the guitar sounds as good as it does (relatively speaking of course) being that it is such a puny little PC mic. It is fun to go back and listen to some old stuff.

Rob - that was good, for sure shows you the road map of where you were at then, even if we're too blind to see it on new projects as we try to improve.

Now when did you and fanzzz do that collab and did I miss the post on it? Sounds good.
    Robomusic
    RE: An old...new song...of sorts...???? 2007/05/05 16:21:38 (permalink)
    It was just a deal where i offered to remix his song about a couple months back he was using edirol and stuff so i offered to mix the midi files using the sampler in my MTS program and see how it came out.

Music Town
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: An old...new song...of sorts...???? 2007/05/06 00:01:28 (permalink)
    Terry, great job...had an old lead zepplin feel to it. As far as the equipment goes, and the lack of mixing experience, I think it just speaks volumes to the argument that talent is the true driving factor. I can think of many songs I have heard from people with a list of top dollar equipment on super fast computers with all the lastest software...two thousand dollar mics...you know what I mean, but they sound like trash. But give you a computer mic, an old acoustic, a thirty dollar program, and we get high quality MUSIC...Actually picked play all on your motagator site, so I'm listening to your stuff as I type...you really have a great sound...great feel for mixing, too...keep them coming. If only we could get you a singer, That young fella fanzz seems to have disapeared...need some one with a rough edge to their voice...I'd like to think I could, but everything I touch comes out country, plus, you need a younger sound, not an old frog...Oh, and I like the new graphic...have I seen that some where?
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    wickerman
    RE: An old...new song...of sorts...???? 2007/05/07 18:16:25 (permalink)
    Sounds good.

Thanks Al - I would love to just send a track off to someone and say 'there - sing on it'...lol. I'm picking up that mic I talked about in another thread here this week. So I'm going to have to try to quit beating around the bush and figure out vocals. The graphic is new, I created that image...the first all original thing I've ever done in PS!

I just record for my own pleasure - but it's cool to someone else out there likes the stuff you're doing. These forums have been one of THE most useful places I've found for recording. So thanks for all the great tips, tricks and ideas...and songs.
    shredheadinstead
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 478
    RE: An old...new song...of sorts...???? 2007/05/09 01:51:53 (permalink)
    I agree with Gambler. It did have kind of a Zeppelin vibe to it. Great tune. Amazingly down, and to say you used a computer mic is phenomial. There was like no feedback or anything. No dog barking in the background, etc. Sounded great. The best stuff we great unfortunetly is sometimes forgotten; it's not until we discover it, that it sowly than begins to makes sense. I'd say this is the result when I listened to this tune by you. I'd go ahead abd post this on Acidplanet.com Terry. I'll give you a nice review and try and get you up on the charts!
    Robomusic
    RE: An old...new song...of sorts...???? 2007/05/09 11:30:47 (permalink)
    Boy do i remeber those charts. there was a time i thought that was really cool to climb those charts, (former three time number 1 in classic rock YEAH) The highest i ever made on the main combined charts was No. 7

Just call me a no hit wonder

Music Town
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: An old...new song...of sorts...???? 2007/05/09 12:44:40 (permalink)
    Ahhhh, you're still a hit in our book, Rob! sniff, sniff....WE LOVE YOU, MAN!!!!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    shredheadinstead
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 478
    RE: An old...new song...of sorts...???? 2007/05/11 06:08:04 (permalink)
    You will always be a hit Robo. Youre especially a hit here in the world of the MC3 forum. That's for sure. You and Beegle can share the trophy.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1