OT: New Rush CD and others

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Clydewinder
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 941
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/09 22:59:06 (permalink)
that mastering engineer is lame, there's still some white spots left on the beginning and a little sliver in the middle.

never mind, i fixed it on my monitor with a fat blue crayon.

The Poodle Chews It.

ohhey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11676
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/10 10:18:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Clydewinder

that mastering engineer is lame, there's still some white spots left on the beginning and a little sliver in the middle.

LOL ! that is great... they should put that in the next Spinal Tap movie... "hey... you missed a spot".
jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/10 18:16:15 (permalink)

- jack the ex-cynic
ohhey
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/10 22:27:34 (permalink)

Hey ! maybe that will be the user interface for the next compressor / smasher plugin, you just paint in what you want the waveform to look like and it comes up with the settings to make it happen
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/11 00:13:15 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ohhey

Hey ! maybe that will be the user interface for the next compressor / smasher plugin, you just paint in what you want the waveform to look like and it comes up with the settings to make it happen

What a top-notch idea. It should also come pre-loaded with presets. My Favorites would be "Tootsie Roll", "Log-O-Sound", and "You-Know-What".

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
ohhey
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/11 10:16:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: losguy

What a top-notch idea. It should also come pre-loaded with presets. My Favorites would be "Tootsie Roll", "Log-O-Sound", and "You-Know-What".

Well.. it looks like a Tootsie roll, but doesn't smell like one.. I think we know what that preset it.
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/11 10:48:00 (permalink)
Well.. it looks like a Tootsie roll, but doesn't smell like one.. I think we know what that preset it.

Yup.

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
rpmartino
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/16 10:37:32 (permalink)
I've been looking for discussion online about the production of the new Rush CD, was a bit surprised to see the negativity here. To my ears S&A is like day and night compared to Vapor Trails... it's rich, detailed, punchy, and while loud, not clipping harshly like VT. I can actually hear changes in dynamics. I love it.... the sound and songwriting have a fresh quality that keeps me going back often to listen again.
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/16 17:16:24 (permalink)
the sound and songwriting have a fresh quality that keeps me going back often to listen again.

Hi Geddy! (you can't fool us with that 'rpmartino' stuff )

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Hansenhaus
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1866
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/28 00:41:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rpmartino

I've been looking for discussion online about the production of the new Rush CD, was a bit surprised to see the negativity here. To my ears S&A is like day and night compared to Vapor Trails... it's rich, detailed, punchy, and while loud, not clipping harshly like VT. I can actually hear changes in dynamics. I love it.... the sound and songwriting have a fresh quality that keeps me going back often to listen again.

Dude if you think SnA sounds punchy then your ears are in dire need of education. It may be better than Vapor Trails but it still sucks hard. The waveform doesn't lie. There is no dynamic range and very little punch or clarity. However, if you enjoyed it then more power to you.

Eric Hansen
My Website 
Live Videos
Acoustic Guitar Pickups
 ---------------
Core i7 2600K
Intel DP67BG 
16GB RAM
RME HDSP9652 (ASIO)
Windows 10 x64
Sonar Platinum x64 (English)

rpmartino
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/28 11:10:52 (permalink)
Well I've gone back to listen some more just to make sure my ears aren't lying to me... what can I say I think it still sounds great, both through my Tannoy monitors and my Sony headphones. I acknowledge Vapor Trails was a disaster and was downright fatiguing to listen to, but this is like night and day to me. Yes, it's a loud hard rock, intense sound but in this case it works: I still hear the punch of the bass and drums, and dynamics between "wall of sound" and quieter acoustic passages is there. I don't hear any clipping (which happens throughout VP), and rather than want to turn it off like VP I keep wanting to come back to this one.

I really like the combination of the heavy guitars and acoustic, I think the arrangements are colorful and glad that Alex has gone back to some of his interesting guitar sounds, I didn't care for the raw grungy tones on VP. What can I say? The music can be dense at times yet I can still hear everything that's going on. I literally get a "rush" (ha ha) from the music, it really hits the spot, and the production has a big part in that: it's easily their best sounding album since the Terry Brown days. It's kind of silly to suggest that people are enjoying the album out of ignorance (I DO listen to a lot recordings, from homemade to professional with a critical ear and help develop audio plug-ins for a living) but I'm always open to learning more, I'm happy to check out any other modern hard rock recording that demonstrates a better sense of dynamics/punch/clarity and balances multiple layers of sound more successfully.

Another recent recording I think sounds pretty nice is Pure Reason Revolution's The Dark Third. Wonderful sense of drive and intensity mixed with more atmospheric moments. Any Dave Meegan fans here? His work with Marillion (notably Brave, Afraid of Sunlight and Marbles) is fantastic.
post edited by rpmartino - 2007/05/29 11:45:28
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2007/05/28 15:16:29 (permalink)
Never heard of Dave Meegan, but if he produced 'Brave' then he's damn good...that's a superb piece of work.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
ed97643
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1610
RE: OT: New Rush CD and others 2008/05/24 13:47:03 (permalink)
Dave Meegan is my #1 favorite guy for sound. +100000 to him.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1