Question About MC3 --> Sonar

Author
cbk780
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2007/05/05 11:17:19 (permalink)

Question About MC3 --> Sonar

Hi:

I am a Sonar 6 user. I have a MIDIed grand piano and want to record MIDI tracks on it and then import them into Sonar.

I am looking for the simplest possible software to place on a laptop since all I will be doing is recording a single MIDI track and I don't want to be fussing with software while playing.

I'd appreciate answers to the following questions:

1. Would MC3 be good for this?

2. What format does MC3 save the MIDI file in? Is this easily imported into Sonar 6?

3. Can anyone recommend a really simple 1x1 MIDI interface (e.g. Uno) that works well with MC3?

Thanks a lot.

Charlie
post edited by cbk780 - 2007/05/05 11:18:04

5 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Question About MC3 --> Sonar 2007/05/05 12:12:01 (permalink)
    Charlie - MC3 is based on Sonar 4 and is not really any "easier" than S6 is. It simply has less of what S6 does, so in that respect it's easier because you don't have too much stuff that you can mess with, but other than that, the major differences between the two are the audio engine and the limitations placed on MC like restricted to 2 simultaneous inputs. MC saves in the same formats that S6 does. CWP, MIDI format 0 or 1, CWB, etc and exports the same way.

FWIW - the EULA allows you to use S6 on different machines as long as you're not using them on different machines at the same time. That's what I do when I travel - I have S6 loaded on laptop for when I'm in the hotel room with not much else to do but work on mixing and editing MIDI.

any USB/MIDI interface should be fine UNLESS you have a Yamaha keyboard. Yamaha keyboards are notorious for needing proprietary USB/MIDI cables, so if you have a yamaha, I'd recommend a yamaha USB/MIDI cable. I use an UNO myself, but I don't use it on Yamaha keyboard.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    cbk780
    RE: Question About MC3 --> Sonar 2007/05/05 16:57:56 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for your response.

I was hoping that MC3 might be both less of a load on the laptop and have a simpler UI. But I get the sense that you thinkI should do as well with Sonar on the laptop. Probably a good idea.

BTW, I have been using Cakewalk products since the DOS days. I miss the simplicity of the old DOS Cakewalk MIDI programs. Not nearly as capable as what we have today (no audio for example) but really nice for simple MIDI recording.

My keyboard, is an acoustic grand with a PianoDisc installed. A lovely device but for some reason it only records disks in a proprietary format and only low density (720K) disks. So you cannot read them on a PC. How foolish!

Thanks again.

Charlie
    post edited by cbk780 - 2007/05/05 17:00:47
    Beagle
    RE: Question About MC3 --> Sonar 2007/05/05 17:38:42 (permalink)
    well, if you're looking for lower CPU load, then MC should be much lower than S6...there seems to be a consensus that Sonar 4 based products used less CPU than S6 based products (especially evident on the SHS forum when they went from SHS4 to SHS6). Since MC is based on S4, then I would have to assume that the CPU useage would be less than S6.

DOS! I remember DOS! I didn't use CW on DOS, but I used a lot of other things on it.

does your keyboard at least have an audio output so that you can record into S6 or MC?

cbk780
    RE: Question About MC3 --> Sonar 2007/05/05 20:47:01 (permalink)
    does your keyboard at least have an audio output so that you can record into S6 or MC?

Actually the "keyboard" is an acoustic piano. So it is quite audible. But with the PianoDisc I had added to it, it also records and plays MIDI. It like the pianos that self-play that you see in hotel lobbies.

My desire is to be able to improvise on it. Record the MIDI and then take that into the studio for editing.

So no audio is neeeded.

That's why Sonar (and most everything else on the market) is too much. All I need is simple, one track MIDI recording.

Charlie
    Beagle
    RE: Question About MC3 --> Sonar 2007/05/05 23:31:42 (permalink)
    then MC will be great even tho it's too much - it's only $29 download!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1