Vocal track

Author
atreal1_1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
2007/05/09 13:06:37 (permalink)

Vocal track

First let me say that I did a search of all Yep's posts (he's always involved in this type of conversation) and didn’t find anything like this question, even though I remember this being discussed on this board. Anyhow...

I was listening to a mix that I quickly went through not too long ago, and then right after I listened to a Nine inch Nails song Fragile, off an album by the same name. http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B00001P4TH001006/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_006/104-4406375-9116750 fragile
Here is a link to the song, hopefully it works. **of course this is extremely low quality** Regardless, his voice has a presence about it, that's just right in your face, and seems dry yet a little wet at the same time, if thats possible. When I compared it to my vocal track, I got a sense that there was no focus like that of the other song. Not only that, but I could sense that there was a problem with the EQing (or lack of) of the voice. All I had really done was a bit of low-end cut, and added an exciter lightly. I found that I would usually do more harm than good when making changes to the equalization of a vocal track, so I stoped trying, but now Im ready to try again. I like the volume that I had the voice at, but it just didn’t have the same punch. I could probably make the voice a little more dry, but what other tips are there for eqing a vocal, or just making it more focused, clear, or I believe the word intelligibility might have something to do with it? All advice will be much appreciated, and I thank everyone for their time. thanks guys!

11 Replies Related Threads

Jonny M
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Vocal track 2007/05/10 16:55:15 (permalink)
    Try these links here:

http://www.recordingwebsite.com/rwtip/archive/rw15r.html
    Gives you ideas as to what result cutting/boosting frequencies will have on certain frequencies

http://www.independentrecording.net/
    Second link. Tells you the general frequency ranges of common instruments. Useful for using parametric EQ (such as Sonitus EQ in Sonar) as you can get an idea as to what ranges to set the bands for different instruments.

Bear in mind that when EQing, it's better to cut surrounding frequencies than boost.
    DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: Vocal track 2007/05/11 10:25:01 (permalink)
    Besides the links posted and the advice given above by Jonny, there are a few other key factors involved in the texture of a vocal track; besides the singer, the next important link in the chain would be the type of mic you are using, and also any other peripherals that add to the sonics of a track: pre's, dynamic processors, etc.

you didn't make mention of this in your post.

I'm not hearing much reflection at all on Reznor's voice here. It sounds as if his proximity is pretty close. Also, don't discount that being on the level he is at, that he has access to some pretty nice gear.

The use of exciters is and has been a hotly debated topic for some time now. You'll either run into people that swear by them or people that hate them. LOL.. I happen to be one of the latter, so I won't get into that topic too deeply here.

Basically, if you have an understanding of EQ/Tonal principles and dynamics, you really don't need one. Most of the time, all they do is brittle things up and make things harsh.

I'm not saying to not use it.... if it works for you and you're digging it then go for it.... But I loathe them.

Check out the links that Jonny supplied above... this is good stuff.

You might also want to look into doing some research on tonal and dynamic processing apps; how they work, what they do and what they don't do.
    If you do a google search on EQ and recording technigues, and do the same for Compression, dynamics, you'll have a boatload of info returned to you.

Look to the trades for the most accurate info regarding this (Mix, SOS, Recording mags, etc)

Also, providing info on the type/model mic you are using, your position on the mic, the room you are in, the audio I/O you have, and external pre's or processing (if any) might help us help you a bit more.

FWIW

-D.

http://www.donnythompson.com
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Vocal track 2007/05/11 10:59:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DonnyAir

Most of the time, all they do is brittle things up and make things harsh.

I'm not saying to not use it.... if it works for you and you're digging it then go for it.... But I loathe them.

FWIW

-D.

Donny, loathe is such a strong word.
    I agree with you though. If I need something to sound harsh and peaky, I'll do it myself the old fashioned way.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    DonnyAir
    RE: Vocal track 2007/05/11 12:18:56 (permalink)
    Donny, loathe is such a strong word.

LOL... perhaps you are right.

Okay.

I really really really don't care for them.

Better?

RnRmaChine
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 420
    RE: Vocal track 2007/05/11 15:04:46 (permalink)
    I have to agree with Donny for the most part, I don't really hate exciters but I have yet to find one I would actually use.

As far as getting a vocal to stand out like his in the song you linked. It shouldn't be hard really. Unless you are trying to do it with a SM58 or some other "live" mic.
    ANY Large Diaphram condensor/tube mic should get you close. It's sounds like he is very close to the mic (using the proximity effect as Donny stated and probably in a vocal booth that has no reflections) and mild FX to keep it rich. Granted he is probably on a $1000+ mic and $1500+ mic pre. It is hard to guess at what mic he is on... maybe if I owned the album. I couldn't possibly guess what mic pre.

On a vocal like that your best bet is to have the main track dry and mono. Send to a buss (stereo) with tempo set delay almost no feedback and bring it into the mix slowly. Cut the presence a few db (around 5k) on the buss track and you will not really hear any delay but the vocal will get thicker. You might want to do a shelving cut in the high frequency range too. It really depends on what you are going for. There are many ways to thicken a vocal (if this is what you are after), this is just one of them. Whatever the engineer used I guarentee there is plenty of effect in there!! (as opposed to no effect at all). It is just done in a VERY talented manner.

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Dual Processors - Intel Xeon X5670 - 6 cores/cpu = 12core w/Hyperthreading = 24core
    24GB 10600 DDR3 1333 RAM
    1110w PSU
    Geforce GTS 450
    128GB SanDisk SSD OS/C:drive
    WD Blue HDrives Sample, Audio, Storage.
    atreal1_1
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Vocal track 2007/05/11 23:04:09 (permalink)
    Thanks to all, its great to know that there is a knowledgeable support network here whenever I’m in need. In the last two days I read up a bit, and did some experimenting. With the tips provided here I was able to reproduce the effect I was looking for! It just took some drying up, and some boosting of the highs, and all the sudden everything just cleared up. The presence was definitely felt. My problem is I doubt myself, and I always assume that there is some special trick that only the top dollar studios have. Usually that’s not the case. I mean granted, Trent’s voice sound a bit smoother cause of his gear and whatnot, but it’s not by all that much. For those who asked, we were recording with an AT 4000 series Mic, I don’t remember which one (wasn’t my gear). And a Focusrite pre into a Mackie Onyx mixer I think, all pretty much middle of the road stuff with Waves Plugins. Thanks again guys!
    DonnyAir
    RE: Vocal track 2007/05/12 09:29:26 (permalink)
    For those who asked, we were recording with an AT 4000 series Mic, I don’t remember which one (wasn’t my gear). And a Focusrite pre into a Mackie Onyx mixer I think, all pretty much middle of the road stuff with Waves Plugins.

Not exactly your K-Mart caliber of gear, there, Atreal.

I was just making sure you weren't using a Radio Shack HiBall mic and a Realtek soundcard... LOL

BTW, Congrats on getting what you were after.

One of the things that you did right, and likely which contributed to your success, was to actually base it on something.

It always helps to have a point of reference when trying for a particular sound.

One final note though, just so you know...

Different singers are going to have different and inherant characteristics to their voices, regardless of what gear they have at their disposal. Some vocalists have a low end "resonance" that's just a part of their voice naturally. Others will have more presence... some might be more "nasally".

I guess what I'm saying is that while it's cool to emulate the Reznor vibe in your tracks, don't be afraid to be your own singer either. Be who you are and find those things about your voice that you will dig.

Good luck.

-D.

themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Vocal track 2007/05/14 12:02:03 (permalink)

I was just making sure you weren't using a Radio Shack HiBall mic and a Realtek soundcard... LOL

Hey, I loved the HiBall mic. That was the poor man's SM58.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Vocal track 2007/05/19 10:05:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: themidiroom

Hey, I loved the HiBall mic. That was the poor man's SM58.

got you all beat - i started recording with that skinny beige mic that used to come with the soundblaster AWE32. that's the poor man's HiBall.

of course i stopped recording immediately after starting and saved up for an sm58...

- jack the ex-cynic
    DonnyAir
    RE: Vocal track 2007/05/19 10:40:10 (permalink)
    Actually, when I started recording, I used two desktop RCA cassette recorders.

I'd record a vocal and guitar on one, and then while that was playing back I would add a second guitar part and harmony.

The built in mics in those recorders gave the utmost in sonic integrity...LOL

and no, I'm not kidding.

When I finally saved up enough to by a 4 track reel to reel; I bought a Docorder (with simul-sync!!!) and an EV PL9 microphone.

I thought I was in heaven with that hiss bucket.

-D.

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Vocal track 2007/05/19 13:17:24 (permalink)
    you know with all the technology at my disposal, i just got a digital voice recorder to capture ideas - the audio sucks but it's a lot easier to record than hooking up all the wires, loading sonar, making a new track, etc., etc... sometimes simple and lo-tech is better. =)

- jack the ex-cynic
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1