GT3 and VISTA

Author
JustGotPaid
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 628
2007/05/09 17:29:00 (permalink)

GT3 and VISTA

Hi all. Thanks so much for all the great info you are kind enough to share here to help me get started. I'm recording now! Importing files! Building drum tracks! It's starting to be fun, now that I'm catching on a little! Thanks again!

I have a question in behalf of a friend, who does not have a computer on line at home. He just upgraded computers and is having trouble running GT3 with VISTA. I'm not sure if it even would install correctly. He, as many, is none too happy with VISTA and wishes he had XP PRO, or something that is more compatible with more programs.

Is there an update download, a driver update, or anything he could download from the work computer, get it on a flash drive, and update his drivers at home on his DAW so VISTA would let him use GT3? If there is a download I could get it here and put it on a CD or flash drive for him that way, but I don't know what to look for on the main CAKEWALK page. Anyway, he's just trying to get GT3 working with VISTA, whatever we need to do...short of re-insalling a new operating system.

His computer is a new DELL XPS 410 Dimension with Dual Core, and a 250 gig HD, so he has plenty of speed and power.

Thank you all again for the help. Do you have suggestions on this?

Thanks!

JustGotPaid

7 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: GT3 and VISTA 2007/05/09 21:28:59 (permalink)
    JGP,
    Glad to see you are making progress.
    As for your friend, most of the problems we are seeing have to do with sound card drivers. What sound card is he/she using?
    Check the web site specific to that card and see if they have Vista updates. We are also seeing indications that some of the onboard sound cards are not quite Vista ready, at least for our purposes. That could be a problem. I am still happily running under XP Home, and have no direct Vista input. I do know that Cakewalk worked very closly with MS to write the new code for Home Studio 6, and it officialy supports Vista. If a drastic move is called for, that is a viable option.
    post edited by RobertB - 2007/05/09 21:32:01

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    DRHollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 821
    RE: GT3 and VISTA 2007/05/09 21:33:30 (permalink)
    JustGotPaid,

Unfortunately for your pal he is out of luck. GTP3 is not supported on VIsta. The best he can do is upgrade to Sonar Home Studio 6 which supports MS Vista. There are no downloads to support Vista for GTP3.

JustGotPaid
    RE: GT3 and VISTA 2007/05/10 03:03:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for the needed info. I didn't have much luck finding it anywhere else.

He was doing OK with GT 2 and GT 3 until the new computer with VISTA. We spoke tonight and I think he is about ready to see if he can get VISTA off and try XP Home or PRO, which seems to be perfectly fine with GT 3. I think he is having other trouble installing programs he needs that VISTA just doesn't support. NERO7 was another one of them.

Thanks again guys. Will keep you posted.

JustGotPaid
    JustGotPaid
    RE: GT3 and VISTA 2007/05/10 20:04:04 (permalink)
    I got a nice email back from Cakewalk SUPPORT and they verified that GT 3 and VISTA just don't go together. I think he may be in for a VISTA uninstall and an XP HOME or PRO install, if he can do it on the pre-installed DELL XPS 410 Dimension.

More later...

JustGotPaid
    DRHollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 821
    RE: GT3 and VISTA 2007/05/10 20:29:09 (permalink)
    JGP,

I was talking to a friend of mine and he is of the impression that the version of Vista that runs on Dell's have a proprietary tweak to them. It might be the same case with XP Pro. I'd caution your friend on how he proceeds with the change. Maybe check with Dell first to see if there are any gotchas
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: GT3 and VISTA 2007/05/10 20:33:10 (permalink)
    Keep us posted as that develops. I think in time, Vista will be fine, but right now it is very young. XP is a mature platform, and is currently well supported. I have been dealing with this sort of thing since Windows 3.1. Each new development brings new opportunities, but downward compatibility is sometimes compromised when they make drastic changes. It is usually a change for the better, once the dust settles. Sometimes old ways of thinking must be sacrificed for technical advances to happen.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    JustGotPaid
    RE: GT3 and VISTA 2007/05/11 00:12:41 (permalink)
    I got the email from CAKEWALK and they said GT3 and VISTA aren't compatible, and he called DELL SUPPORT this afternoon and explained the situation. They advised him to start over and install XP when they learned this machine is beign used exclusively as a DAW. They said it was one of the very few legitimate reasons not to tweak around with VISTA, because they just didn't think he would ever get it right.

So...I guess he will uninstall VISTA and install XP. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for you input and interest.

JGP
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1