New song - Ready to Fly - As always, advice very welcome

Author
DuRod
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1082
2007/05/11 07:35:34 (permalink)

New song - Ready to Fly - As always, advice very welcome

Hello all, please check out this new song and let me know what you think. Larry......you're going to be proud of me; I put some harmony in this one! Let me know what you think. Again, I really appreciate all the tips you guys are giving me. Opaque.....what is "layering"? I want to learn how to do this next. Thanks again. The title of the song is "Ready to Fly". http://www.soundclick.com/duanerod

16 Replies Related Threads

opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: New song - Ready to Fly - As always, advice very welcome 2007/05/11 08:27:18 (permalink)
    Layering is exactly what you've done with the harmonies on this one, just putting in more elements and if i was producing this i'd have a Hammond organ running through the entire track. Not a sampled Hammond in a workstation synth but a modeled Hammond and Leslie sim. Native Instruments make arguably the best but it'll cost you. You can pick up a free one and there are several to choose from.Try www.nubi3.com and there are more, you can try to find others at www.kvraudio.com
    This would be the perfect keyboard accompaniment to your songs in general, try it out.
    For a track like this you'd keep the vibrato/chorus off, use the Leslie on slow and switch up to fast when the harmonies come in.
    The high hat's a little cutting in the high frequencies.
    post edited by opaque slogan - 2007/05/11 08:54:46

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: New song - Ready to Fly - As always, advice very welcome 2007/05/11 08:28:43 (permalink)
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention, nice track and mix.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: New song - Ready to Fly - As always, advice very welcome 2007/05/11 10:34:58 (permalink)
    Yes! Yes! Yes! Duane. I think this is your best song to date. You do make me proud, son! Well executed on the vocal harmonies. The song itself has struck a personal note in me as well. Good Job! Now that Nick has explained what "layering" is, you'll be adding even more pieces as you progress. Remember to eat and use the bathroom as your holed up in your studio for those long recording sessions. Ha. I was wondering where you've been the last couple of days. It certainly has paid off! Again, wonderful song, structure, and mix.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    DuRod
    RE: New song - Ready to Fly - As always, advice very welcome 2007/05/11 12:50:08 (permalink)
    opaque and Larry, man you guys are way too nice. Larry, thanks so much for challenging me to try the harmony, now I'm going back over some other songs and adding some in here and there. Opaque.......so that's what layering is....you have to remember you're dealing with a 49 year old beginner here!! I was just talking to my wife the other day about learning just enough keyboard to put some background stuff in; or as I now know it.....layering! See, I am trainable after all!! I've got a friend coming into town next weekend and I'm going to talk to him about what you were recommending; he plays an awesome keyboard. Thanks so much for the comments and the direction.
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: New song - Ready to Fly - As always, advice very welcome 2007/05/11 13:09:00 (permalink)
    Excellent, Duane! Great harmony addition on this one! Really good mix...excellent work....

as nick said, some hammond or maybe a nice pad playing some lead to go along with your excellent rhythm on this would really make it a great song!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    DuRod
    RE: New song - Ready to Fly - As always, advice very welcome 2007/05/12 23:10:19 (permalink)
    Beagle, thanks a lot.....I've been real busy so I haven't had time to reply. I really enjoyed putting this song together. I just kind of let go on the lyrics and the melody and let come out whatever wanted to come out. Man, I don't think I'm ready to learn anything new right now.....like keyboard. Learning how to play bass enough to put some in a song, along with learning how to use Home Studio 6........and how to record and mix with this software...........................dude, that's enough to wear this old man out!!!!!!!! But I agree with all of you, I would truly love to put some keys in with my songs. All in due time I guess. Thanks again.
    airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: New song - Ready to Fly - As always, advice very welcome 2007/05/14 22:41:12 (permalink)
    Duane, well finally I got to your song (I'm falling behind these days ...). Nice job, man! Very nice backing vocals: Notice how lively your chorus appears?
    As always, this song is another one in your reportoire you can be proud of: Well written - music and lyrics. You've got a great talent to put your creative ideas into a song! Great, really great. Thanks for this one!
    Heinz
    PS: You and Larry should do a song together --- that would sound interesting; and yes - both of you should sing ...

DuRod
    RE: New song - Ready to Fly - As always, advice very welcome 2007/05/14 22:56:55 (permalink)
    airmeki, I know what you mean by falling behind........man, life can sure get hectic. Thanks so much for the encouragement and for the tips. You guys just might make something out of me yet!! Are you insinuating that two "old men" singing together would be "interesting".............just kidding!!! Yea, I would love to sing to that beautiful guitar Larry plays..........hmmmmmm. Thanks again. Press ON!!!!!!
    lhansen
    RE: New song - Ready to Fly - As always, advice very welcome 2007/05/15 10:28:11 (permalink)
    Just let me know DuRod. It would be a pleasure. I'll need to drink 20 cans of Ensure first.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

DuRod
    RE: New song - Ready to Fly - As always, advice very welcome 2007/05/22 23:43:15 (permalink)
    Larry, it would be an honor and a priviledge; now if we can just find the time!! Your younger than I thought.....heck it takes me 20 cans just to get to my morning coffee!!!!! Ahhhh life is good. You guys are great..........God bless
    AsherLongley
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 683
    RE: New song - Ready to Fly - As always, advice very welcome 2007/05/23 00:30:42 (permalink)
    Duane,

You have a very nice voice. Thanks for sharing your song with us. It's got great lyrics and some whity surprises.

Matt
    RGB
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: New song - Ready to Fly - As always, advice very welcome 2007/05/23 00:32:45 (permalink)
    Duane,
    Good job. I love your voice. You have a bit of a Johnny Cash vibe. Nice harmonies too.
    Keep up the good work.
    Ron
    DuRod
    RE: New song - Ready to Fly - As always, advice very welcome 2007/05/23 07:02:08 (permalink)
    Matthew and Ron, thanks for listening and giving me your comments and encouragement. A lot of what you are hearing is a result of all of ya'lls suggestions along the way. Thanks again for the continued support in this fabulous walk down the long road of creating music. God bless and may your music soar to new heights that you could have never imagined. Press ON!!!!!!!!
    kayehl
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 846
    RE: New song - Ready to Fly - As always, advice very welcome 2007/05/23 10:15:40 (permalink)
    great song construction, you have a great voice, nice instrumentation, and good mix, there's so much good to say about this song.
    You inspire me to delve into some eschatology research

The rim shot /cowbell motif i think could sound better in congas, if you have congas sounds available.
    Most of your rhymes are full rhymes, i think you should try more slant rhyme; like alive/ fly (rhyme the vowel sound or the consonant but not both) doesn't sound as 'sing-songy' plus it really opens up the number of rhyme possibilities.

Now im going back to read the other comments!

I am not an expert
    lhansen
    RE: New song - Ready to Fly - As always, advice very welcome 2007/05/23 10:33:14 (permalink)
    Duane,
    You just let me know when you're ready to collab and I'll be there. Peace.

Slow Marching Band

DuRod
    RE: New song - Ready to Fly - As always, advice very welcome 2007/05/23 12:58:57 (permalink)
    Larry....you got it. kayehl.....thanks for the tip on the song ryhming, it makes a lot of sense. I never studied song writing so any suggestions are very welcome. Thanks for the wonderful comments; and if I've made you curious......I'm doing what I set out to do. If you have any questions about anything, shoot me an e-mail and if I don't know the answer, I'll find it. Thanks guys............and by now you know my sign off.....Press ON!!!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1