Purchased a mic today....

Author
wickerman
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1039
2007/05/11 20:04:38 (permalink)

Purchased a mic today....

I went and picked up the AT2020 Audio Technica mic today, and a stand, a pop filter......so it looks like I've run out of time to sidestep vocals if I want to improve.

I'd like to apolgize now for the future songs in which I will be singing. Any tips for the guy who isn't a singer on singing? Not recording wise...vocal wise...... I'm finding it hard to relax just thinking about it!

5 Replies Related Threads

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Purchased a mic today.... 2007/05/11 20:59:01 (permalink)
    I heard an interview with a singer on NPR awhile back, I can't remember his name. He was talking about how self-conscious he was about his voice in the early days, but two people convinced him it was okay for him to sing in public: Bob Dylan and Neil Young.
    Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Purchased a mic today.... 2007/05/11 23:51:23 (permalink)
    This is news I have been waiting for for a long time. From the people on other sites that talk about their gear ad-infinitum, it appears you should be very happy with that mic, you might even try it for your guitar, mic close and find the sweet spot, should give you more options for guitar tones...like you need more options...or even as a room mic, a few feet away and above the amp...lots of options.
    As far as the courage to sing, all I can say is I sing very poorly, not only is it hard to keep my volumes under control, but I can't really hear the notes I am trying to hit, even with headphones. But the thing is, you have to push yourself, use the compressor and limiter or the sonic maximizer, and I swear by melodyne uno, just remember to process through uno before effects like reverb etc.
    And good luck...
    Later
    Albert
    post edited by gamblerschoice - 2007/05/12 16:32:24

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    shredheadinstead
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 478
    RE: Purchased a mic today.... 2007/05/12 06:10:21 (permalink)
    Wickerman: Hath no fear! I'm actually going to be putting vocals to some of my future works as well! I'm also not feeling good about my voice, however, I look at this as a fun thing to do. I'm not going out and trying to get a label somewhere (although being a rock star wouldn't be a bad job change, than let's say what I do now: SECURITY!!!) Lol. Just have fun with it and don't get to wrapped up in what people "are going to think." Do it for yourself first. Others second.

I also was told long ago from a musical buddy that vocals are best trained at a young age. Learning to train your voice later in life can work, but is very very difficult since the diaphram has already been developed or something? I can't exactly remember what he said exactly, but it was somewhere along those roads.

Good luck, and can't wait to hear the voice of "The Wickerman!!!"
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Purchased a mic today.... 2007/05/12 11:38:22 (permalink)
    Go for it Terry!
    As for me, I think "Vocal stylings of a dying elk" will stay in the can.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    wickerman
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1039
    RE: Purchased a mic today.... 2007/05/13 13:54:35 (permalink)
    well I've been reading up on recording vocals, I haven't yet played with the mic much - just a few minutes. I'm going to take my time and try my best. It should be interesting no matter the outcome! I'm still planning to pick up an ART mic pre...but I won't be using that as an excuse not to start working on vocals...or will I???
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1