Making Any Money Making Music?

Author
everdream
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 139
2007/05/13 22:21:24 (permalink)

Making Any Money Making Music?

Is anyone out there making any money with their music? If so, how are you going about that process now that we're in the age of the Internet (thanks to Al Gore!)? I live in a small rural community with little opportunity for live music gigs (unless I want to do country/rock - not my musical calling... I tire of it after about 3 songs). But, I'd love to write songs for other artists/bands/labels and see if they'd want to purchase them. Is anyone shopping their songs successfully to others? If so, how are you doing it? Do you pick a genre and write for that? Do you find that the more time you spend polishing up your demo & tweaking tracks, the harder it is to let go of "your baby"?

10 Replies Related Threads

kaylen
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 336
    RE: Making Any Money Making Music? 2007/05/13 22:55:56 (permalink)
    I did a 25 year road trip (1974-1999) playing flute around the world,but now music is just a hoby so I'm no help but I did make enough to pay for 25 years of good life,just thought I'd mention it,,,In my years of travel I kept a journal in the form of poetry wich I hope to incorperate into songs,,,,I have no intent to make money from them but do hope some of them turn out good enough to please and inspire,,,good luck

Music is as useless and unimportant as life itself
    Kaylen, 
    Win 7 Home pr,  6GB DDR3,  intel2120
    X2P, 
    Battery 4,   BFD2,    BFD Eco,   EZdrmr 
    Finale 2012

SteepLearningCurve
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 281
    RE: Making Any Money Making Music? 2007/05/14 02:46:07 (permalink)
    If you have a lot of finished work that's extraordinary, try Taxi. I have a few friends that have had their music placed in some film and tv shows as well as picked up by music libraries. They haven't made a lot of cash but it's been a nice supplement to the income they make either teaching music or gigging.

I make about 75 percent of my income teaching guitar, another 20 percent in recording for people and 4.99 percent in performing. The remaining .01 percent is made from selling my music. But someday is coming soon and it's gonna be great.

http://www.soundclick.com/steeplearningcurveexperiment

http://www.soundclick.com/franklintaggart
    jonespnice1
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: Making Any Money Making Music? 2007/05/14 11:02:20 (permalink)
    I sell some of my music locally and I record people. I don't make a huge amount of money but it's cool getting paid for something I'd do for free. I sell my songs for $150-$250 (more if it's a good beat and I think the person would pay), I know it's nothing big but it's a start.
    I have a friend who has a buddy that needed some cash fast so he drove to new york and sold 10 songs, for $2000 a piece, over 1 weekend. I guess to get started you have to really hustle at first.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Making Any Money Making Music? 2007/05/14 11:05:54 (permalink)
    To sell your own performance of songs practically requires gigging.

It looks like what you are interested in is publishing music for others to buy. Find a publisher. You can try a local one, and if most of the local stuff is country your guy might find it interesting to have some rock or whatever genre you do. Anyway, it can't hurt to talk to local people face to face and develop a feel. Then you can try publishers further afield.

And yes, you'll need demos. And yes, tho demos aren't supposed to be finished works, but you have to be competent in presentation. You aren't going to get anyone to listen to a cassette that was recorded on a boom box mic. And only you can say whether it is hard to let them go, in which case you need to decide whether you are ready to do this as a business, which is what you are looking at. Most business men can tell you what to do with dreams - they are buying and you are selling. Get a lawyer if you are serious before you sign anything. Otherwise, you might be tied up for life - see John Fogerty.

best of luck.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: Making Any Money Making Music? 2007/05/14 16:46:44 (permalink)
    I think it's pretty hard to make a living at it. I'm not gonna say it's impossible, but I'll go so far as to say if you are reading this, then music for you is basically something you do for the love of music....not for money.
    To make ANY money you need credibility and a good network. I've found this to be huge. Networking is getting it out there. YOU NEED EXPOSURE. I'm like you...small town, no chance of gigging (and not much interest there anyways). So getting noticed by the right people is key. Set up a good online presence and hit up people doing similar kinds of music in similar markets (soundtracks, game music, jingles, etc). Apply to the right forums and interact with them. Online radio stations really are a good way of promoting yourself (not sure how the new legislation is going to impact these stations), as most will readily accept good music if they don't have to pay for it...its a good way of getting exposure.
    I've made a very limited amount of money from my music, but there has been very little overhead involved. I don't even have a physical CD (yet) and still I sell my music off my own website and through other online media. That's another important tip....don't spend any money you don't need to. If you're like most of us, gear lust will keep you far enough in debt without having to spring for all kinds of advertising spots, promotional items or indie CD ventures.
    DO get a good website...that's worth your money.
    Enter some contests. Spend some time with "GOOGLE" just perusing for contacts that might be interested in your music. You need to be prepared to do a lot of things for nothing...in the hopes of a long term payout. I did a couple of remixes for free that actually resulted in them paying me for a third.
    Also, I agreed to share the proceeds with an online label that has surprised me by getting me distribution through dozens of big online music storefronts like i-Tunes, Napster, DJDOWNLOADS, etc.
    Like I said, it's not enough to pay the bills, but it's kinda sweet getting $10 here and there when you check your e-mail every few days.
    post edited by Digital Aura - 2007/05/14 16:51:55
    teamnib
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Making Any Money Making Music? 2007/05/14 21:06:31 (permalink)
    Nice words of wisdom from everyone! What a collective mind we have at the Cakewalk Forums! You all inspire me!

I think I'm too old and busy with family life to consider gigging - that idea looked good in college and after graduation... even started to pan out, but then marriage and babies started arriving, forcing me to grow up and forget the gigging thing. Now music is more of an artistic outlet with the hopes of getting to a larger audience, that *may* even want to pay for my stuff. If not, oh well, I want to express what's in my music heart and share with the world.

I don't want to use Myspace, but I am using www.soundclick.com. What/how do others share their music with the world AND generate an audience?

Core Duo laptop: 1.83Hz :: 2Gb :: 80Gb SATA 7200 :: 300 Gb USB2.0 7200 :: Windows XP Pro SP2 :: Project5 v2.5 :: Home Studio :: Dimension Pro
    teamnib
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Making Any Money Making Music? 2007/05/14 21:51:30 (permalink)
    Hey Digital Aura - i just checked your site... Christian Trance, eh? I'm DL'ing your U2 remix now. Let you know how I like it later. So, are you a fan of Andy Hunter and his works? I'll definitely want to chat with you more on the subject and get your opinion on some of my projects... mind you I'm not a Christian Trance artist... more like a Christian in a trance while trying to make music. Until then, you can check out the rough demos I have online at soundclick...

www.soundclick.com/the-phos

Basically, I work on my music projects as time allows, and some of them are really just scratchpad songs until I can work them into full fledged music ideas. But I'd be interested in your input (anybody else's too!). None of these have vocals added to them yet, and some will remain instrumentals.

Am I supposed to post this in a separate forum, or is it OK to put this here?

Core Duo laptop: 1.83Hz :: 2Gb :: 80Gb SATA 7200 :: 300 Gb USB2.0 7200 :: Windows XP Pro SP2 :: Project5 v2.5 :: Home Studio :: Dimension Pro
    wetdentist
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1129
    RE: Making Any Money Making Music? 2007/05/14 22:10:05 (permalink)
    from personal experience, it all seems to involve a lot of luck. you've got to be the right age at the right time with the right people and the right gear, have the right friends who know the right people, while at the same time, having killer songs, a lot of drive and an entrepreneurial spirit. just by having a couple of those criteria out of wac can be deadly.

3.5 Ghz AMD 6-Core/16 gigs RAM, Roland Quad-Capture, Win 10, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Komplete 10, z3ta+, Z3TA+ 2, Rapture, Maschine 2.7 (MKI & Jam), Melodyne 4 Studio, Ozone 4, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2, Schecter Damien Elite, Fender Sonoran w/TronicalTune Plus installed, etc 
    go here to hear Wet Dentist (2000-2016 RIP)
    my new sounds: The Das Kaput

Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: Making Any Money Making Music? 2007/05/15 08:39:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: teamnib

Hey Digital Aura - i just checked your site... Christian Trance, eh? I'm DL'ing your U2 remix now. Let you know how I like it later. So, are you a fan of Andy Hunter and his works? I'll definitely want to chat with you more on the subject and get your opinion on some of my projects... mind you I'm not a Christian Trance artist... more like a Christian in a trance while trying to make music. Until then, you can check out the rough demos I have online at soundclick...

www.soundclick.com/the-phos

Basically, I work on my music projects as time allows, and some of them are really just scratchpad songs until I can work them into full fledged music ideas. But I'd be interested in your input (anybody else's too!). None of these have vocals added to them yet, and some will remain instrumentals.

Am I supposed to post this in a separate forum, or is it OK to put this here?

yeah, you can post it here. Usually, the system we've all been using here is that if you post some music you preface it in the title with [TRACK] so it can be easily identified and/or found using search.
    I have to be honest with you, I'm fairly sure that I'm capitalizing on a niche by selling my music as "Christian Trance". yes...Andy Hunter's stuff is ok. I actually interact with a whole community of like-minded producers and peers at another forum (networking...at it's finest!) who do "Christian Trance" and it's helped quite a bit. Identifying and targeting a niche really is important. I actually sell more music to the "Christian Goth" and Hardcore scene!!!! (One of my tracks was put in a CD sampler for HM Magazine...Hard Music Mag)
    PM me if you'd like to chat more, or use the email link at my site!
    I'll have a boo at some of your music when I get home tonight.
    Good luck! (Wetdentist is right...it takes a lot of luck too)

P.S. That U2 track is old...and the third song I ever did. You'd be better off checkin' out my more recent stuff at www.myspace.com/DigitalAura or www.soundclick.com/DigitalAura
    Thanks anyways!

post edited by Digital Aura - 2007/05/15 08:41:33
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: Making Any Money Making Music? 2007/05/15 08:46:25 (permalink)
    Yeah, i've got a mansion, four cars and a swimming pool. Eh, it's amazing what you can build out of Leggo bricks when you put your mind to it is'nt it?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1