Artifacts in WAV's

Author
samhoff
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 304
2007/05/16 12:04:12 (permalink)

Artifacts in WAV's

Hello all,

So I'm finally ready to export some music as WAV's (rather than MP3's, which is what I normally do to listen to it), and when I export the songs I'm hearing random artifacts. Perhaps one per song, just a note that all the sudden gets louder at the end, or a couple notes that do. Then I don't change a thing, just re-export again, and now it's a different note that's bad. I'm using Project 5, with Virtual Grand Piano, which runs on the Kontact player, on a CPU with 1 gig RAM. Obviously there's some sort of glitch I don't understand.

So now it looks like I have to choose between exporting WAVs (and listening very carefully to every song, and then re-exporting ad-nauseum until they're perfect) or exporting to MP3's (256?) and then burning that way. I know I will lose something by going to MP3's but am not sure what.

Any help or advice is appreciated,

Sam

10 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Artifacts in WAV's 2007/05/16 12:12:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: samhoff

Hello all,

So I'm finally ready to export some music as WAV's (rather than MP3's, which is what I normally do to listen to it), and when I export the songs I'm hearing random artifacts. Perhaps one per song, just a note that all the sudden gets louder at the end, or a couple notes that do. Then I don't change a thing, just re-export again, and now it's a different note that's bad. I'm using Project 5, with Virtual Grand Piano, which runs on the Kontact player, on a CPU with 1 gig RAM. Obviously there's some sort of glitch I don't understand.

So now it looks like I have to choose between exporting WAVs (and listening very carefully to every song, and then re-exporting ad-nauseum until they're perfect) or exporting to MP3's (256?) and then burning that way. I know I will lose something by going to MP3's but am not sure what.

Any help or advice is appreciated,

Sam

I think you need to bounce or freeze your synths before you export so there are no dynamic events. You want to start the mix with just audio tracks so the sources are "fixed" in place. Midi tracks should be archived and synth tracks can be removed to save resources.
    samhoff
    RE: Artifacts in WAV's 2007/05/16 12:37:53 (permalink)
    Whoa, you just lost me somewhere. I can hit "freeze track" and then export and that should fix it? And I don't follow this at all: "You want to start the mix with just audio tracks so the sources are "fixed" in place."

Thanks,

Sam
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: Artifacts in WAV's 2007/05/16 13:31:09 (permalink)
    The idea is to have everything rendered to audio before exporting, i.e. "fixed" in place. This will reduce the work the DAW has to do during export. Freezing will work or you could bounce the tracks like Frank suggested.
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Artifacts in WAV's 2007/05/16 14:06:08 (permalink)

Whoa, you just lost me somewhere. I can hit "freeze track" and then export and that should fix it? And I don't follow this at all: "You want to start the mix with just audio tracks so the sources are "fixed" in place."

Thanks,

Sam

The idea is that software synths driven by midi don't always produce the same performance every single time. In fast that type of slightly random output is often a "feature" to make the insturment seem more real or human played. Even hardware synths might do that. A software synth might even make different output based on the CPU power available at any given moment or simply have a bug that would produce a "mistake". The reason for the change is no important because there is nothing you can do about it and it's easy to avoid.

To make sure this can't happen you simple make a recording of the output as a wav file or "clip" so that it can't change from one playback or export to another. There are two main ways this is done. For example you can use the freeze function. That does a sort of in place bounce on the same track. This is quick and easy but not always the best way to do it. What I like to do is bounce (with the midi and synth selected) to a new stereo track. At that point I can archive and hide the "source" tracks and work with just audio tracks as if I had recorded a real band. You know for sure that a wav file will not change on you so if you get it just right in the mix it will stay that way and play back the same every time.

Be aware this is only one thing that might cause the export to differ. Your choice of pan law, sample rate, bit level, dither, etc can affect the output wav file. You should export the same way every time to make sure it's the same. For example I always export at the sample rate of the project and at 24bit. This is because I do mastering in Sound Forge and will be doing the resample (if needed) and bit reduction to 16bit with dither as the final steps after I do any mastering on the song like compression, EQ, trim and fade ends, etc.
    samhoff
    RE: Artifacts in WAV's 2007/05/18 12:28:27 (permalink)
    I never knew what it meant to bounce or freeze tracks until I did it after these posts. So I learned something, thanks for that...

Unfortunately bouncing or freezing and bouncing (or just freezing) still produces the artifacts. Not sure if it's a glitch with the Kontact player or what. Again remember that sending to MP3's works flawlessly, it's just the wavs that have minor issues.

Any other ideas welcomed,

Sam
    Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Artifacts in WAV's 2007/05/18 13:29:59 (permalink)
    if you freeze the kontakt synth track and then solo it and play that track back can you hear the artifact? if so it is certainly a glitch in the plugin. you can also try bouncing to tracks with "fast bounce" disabled, i've had a few soft synths that behave strangely when fast bounce is enabled, BFD for one.

The Poodle Chews It.

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Artifacts in WAV's 2007/05/18 13:42:37 (permalink)
    I get those occasioally on Dim Pro, and it's usually associated with the kind of auto-magical velocity randomization it seems to do, which appears to be related to moving from one note to another. By adjusting the note to note velocity in those areas I can take care of them. It's shown up so far on horn parts, where there are fairly long notes, and when moving to a higher or lower note it will sometimes do that. In Dim Pro anyway, you can adjust a 'bending factor' which controls now smoothly it blends from one note to the next when moving either up or down. By adjusting that upwards and adjusting the velocity of the target note, that takes care of it.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    samhoff
    RE: Artifacts in WAV's 2007/05/21 17:05:33 (permalink)
    What, exactly, would I lose by saving to MP3's? I mean, that's ALL I've ever done in the past, I think around 256 KB (is that a choice?) and I certainly can't hear the difference between that and a WAV....

Thanks,

Sam
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Artifacts in WAV's 2007/05/21 17:15:51 (permalink)
    If you are just saving it out for others to listen to, you won't lose anything really. If you are saving it out to then work on in some outboard mastering software or to send to someone to have it worked on by someone else, then you likely want WAVs because you need it to be a lossless format. If you are saving it out for archival purposes, a lossless compressed format like WMA is a good way to go.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Artifacts in WAV's 2007/05/21 21:09:27 (permalink)
    What, exactly, would I lose by saving to MP3's? I mean, that's ALL I've ever done in the past, I think around 256 KB (is that a choice?) and I certainly can't hear the difference between that and a WAV....

mp3s get pretty close to WAV quality but it depends on the encoding engine and the settings. a few years ago i did a test between a 320kbps mp3 and a WAV, the difference was immediately apparent on my studio headphones, listening back to back. since then i've heard some mp3s that i honestly could not tell the difference unless i listened to them back to back, but there is still audio information that mp3s get rid of to save space.

as dean said, you can try wma lossless. i use FLAC (free lossless audio codec) which is less popular but open source i believe. doesn't work in windows media player without some contortions but most other players can handle it.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1