Exporting for Duplicators

Author
lunaractive
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2007/05/18 22:54:56 (permalink)

Exporting for Duplicators

I’m finishing up a pretty big project for my band right now, using sonar 6, and I’m not sure what the best way to export to a CD that will be sent to the duplicators. Can you offer any advice on the best way to export my songs? Thanks.

–Anthony

4 Replies Related Threads

yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Exporting for Duplicators 2007/05/19 01:06:08 (permalink)
    Ask the duplicator.

Customarily a master would be created by a mastering engineer. That is, someone with a technical background will create a glass master disc from the audio files you send them, and then that glass master disc will be used by the duplicator to create the CDs. Sometimes this is included in the duplication fee. Sometimes it is not. If it is a very small run they may simply burn CDs without a glass master.

Most of the places that advertize small-run duplication in the back of magazines etc will walk you through the process. Ask them how it works.

Cheers.
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: Exporting for Duplicators 2007/05/19 01:21:28 (permalink)
    Most replication houses (at least ones I have used) specialize in data cd replication and will prefer a replication ready red book authored CD (using a program like wavelab or CD architect). In this case you would burn your CD-R, preferably at 4 to 8x speed (not that it really matters that much with current technology), and mail it to them, simple.

There are a few places where you can send 24bit files to to be mastered and replicated, but they will generally cost you hundreds more for the extra services. This may be worth it if you are unsure of your mastering skills and want the best result possible.
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Exporting for Duplicators 2007/05/19 10:38:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rumleymusic
    In this case you would burn your CD-R, preferably at 4 to 8x speed (not that it really matters that much with current technology), and mail it to them, simple.

make sure you turn on verification for the burn, and listen to the whole CD straight through before sending it off, in several different environments (home, laptop, car, etc.). rip it to mp3 and listen to the mp3s. if you are happy with everything, send it. if not, fix what is wrong and be happy you didn't print those mistakes 1000 times.

- jack the ex-cynic
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: Exporting for Duplicators 2007/05/24 13:40:51 (permalink)
    That is an important step I forgot. Listen too the whole thing first. On one of my first major projects, I messed up on an edit so there was about 1 minute of silence in the middle of a long orchestra movement, luckily we caught it before it was sent to the duplicator.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1