dimension pro installation confusion

Author
music4all
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 35
2007/05/20 02:09:06 (permalink)

dimension pro installation confusion

I had P5 v2 installed and forgot all about Dimension LE.

Then I installed P5 v2.5 over that - no problem of course.

Then I finally installed Dimension Pro which I bought months ago.

Finally, I saw that there is an update for Dimension and two new sample packs, and installed them.

Now when I go to select many of the presets I get a message saying that a particular .sfz file(s) or multisample can't be found.

What should I do at this point - uninstall everything and start over??

I looked in the Cakewalk directory and found the Dimension LE and Dimension folders in the shared DXi folder. Dimension Pro has its own folder in the Cakewalk folder.

Is there a way to move and/or delete things so that the complete and updated sample set is recognized?

Thanks for any help untangling this mess

Harvey

17 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: dimension pro installation confusion 2007/05/20 07:33:22 (permalink)
    I looked in the Cakewalk directory and found the Dimension LE and Dimension folders in the shared DXi folder. Dimension Pro has its own folder in the Cakewalk folder.
    Having Project5's Dimension and Dimension Pro installed at the same time has been reported to cause problems.
    I get a message saying that a particular .sfz file(s) or multisample can't be found.
    Check both versions of Dimension Pro (DXi and VSTi) to see that they were enhanced to version 1.2 by the updater. Click on the DIMENSIONPRO logo in the GUI to get the splash screen, or check the version numbers of the .dll.
    music4all
    RE: dimension pro installation confusion 2007/05/20 20:54:59 (permalink)

dimension le - v 1.2.0.69

dimension - v 1.0.1.9

dimension pro - v 1.2.0.214

it looks like the update didn't reach the two "lesser" versions of dimension.

should i uninstall everything at this point?

i could de-select dimension le when installing the updated P5 v2.5.

maybe that would have worked, but there's still the original dimension installed with P 5v2.0.

maybe i should uninstall P5 as well and re-install v2.0 and v2.5 with dimension de-selected both times and then go and install dimension pro and its updates.

does that see like it would work?

harvey
    b rock
    RE: dimension pro installation confusion 2007/05/20 21:11:43 (permalink)
    LE is OK to leave (it's read as a different synth). No doubt that you want Dimension Pro to stay, and Dimension from Project5 is somewhat redundant, so it can go. (Actually, those version numbers all look to be correct). Now, which is the easiest way out?

Probably uninstalling Project5, re-installing P5 2.0 without the Dimension option, and then installing the 2.5 update. As I said, Dimension LE from 2.5 won't affect anything, so feel free to install LE or leave it out. I don't think that the Dimension Pro installation, update, or Expansion Packs will be affected by this in any way. But it has been a long time since I uninstalled Project5's Dimension, so be sure to come back and let us all know how it went.
    dougsyo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: dimension pro installation confusion 2007/05/20 22:04:13 (permalink)
    I don't know that it's necessary to uninstall P5V2. I believe Dimension can be uninstalled by itself, but to get everything right, you're probably going to have to uninstall both Dimension and Dimension Pro, then install DimPro by itself.

Next time you reinstall P5V2 (if you do), don't install Dimension, there's a separate prompt for that.

Doug

Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.
    For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm
    b rock
    RE: dimension pro installation confusion 2007/05/20 22:16:26 (permalink)
    I don't know that it's necessary to uninstall P5V2. I believe Dimension can be uninstalled by itself
    How?
    dougsyo
    RE: dimension pro installation confusion 2007/05/20 22:34:17 (permalink)
    I uninstalled Dimension by itself at one point - I don't remember whether it was a separate add/remove programs entry, or whether there was an "unins...exe" program that did it in the Dimension directory.

I never re-installed Dimension after I installed DimPro, so I don't remember it real well now...

Doug

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: dimension pro installation confusion 2007/05/20 22:57:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

I don't know that it's necessary to uninstall P5V2. I believe Dimension can be uninstalled by itself
    How?

It's been some time ago but I think I uninstalled Project5 V2's Dimension before I installed Dimension Pro--as this was Nick Haddad's advice at the time. As I recall it was just simply listed as a separate software product from Project5 in the Windows Add/Remove Software control panel applet.
    post edited by techead - 2007/05/20 23:06:58
    dougsyo
    RE: dimension pro installation confusion 2007/05/20 23:08:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: techead

It's been some time ago but I think I uninstalled Project5 V2's Dimension before I installed Dimension Pro--as this was Nick Haddad's advice at the time. As I recall it was just simply listed as a separate software product from Project5 in the Windows Add/Remove Software control panel applet.

That sounds familiar - both how I did it, and the reason for doing it. I know that the original Dimension had a separate installer that the "main" P5V2 installer ran, so it makes sense that it put separate add/remove programs entries.

Doug

music4all
    RE: dimension pro installation confusion 2007/05/21 13:21:24 (permalink)

I was hoping for a shortcut, but it didn't work.

There is an uninstaller for Dimension, but uninstalling that along with Dimension Pro (and updates) then reinstalling Dimension Pro (+updates) did not set things right. For example, I used the Ethnic Flute preset as a test case and it still can't find pink.wav. A number of other presets can't find their .wav and .sfz files.

So, it looks like the long way is the only way. Apparently there are some pointers to Dimension files that get set in the registry when installing P5 and there's no way around that except to uninstall and start over.

Harvey
    dougsyo
    RE: dimension pro installation confusion 2007/05/21 13:47:51 (permalink)
    TweakDimension can change the registry entry for Dimension.

The actual registry key is:
    My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Dimension Pro\Multisamples Folder

(there's also one for Dimension, Dimension LE, and Rapture)

With the new Vista-compatible scheme, I'm not sure if it stays under HKLM or HKEY_CURRENT_USER ...

Doug

music4all
    RE: dimension pro installation confusion 2007/05/21 14:28:20 (permalink)
    Hi Doug,

That sounds ideal, but where can TweakDimension be found? I don't see it in the support area on CW's website.

Thanks
    Harvey

ps - I'm using XP
    post edited by music4all - 2007/05/21 14:31:38
    techead
    RE: dimension pro installation confusion 2007/05/21 20:34:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: music4all
    That sounds ideal, but where can TweakDimension be found? I don't see it in the support area on CW's website.

Harvey, tweakDimension is a program that I wrote to help with modifying the registry entry without having to actually edit the registry. It was originally designed in response to a lot of problems people were having with external USB drives getting their drive letters changed on them in Windows XP. tweakDimension gave them an easy fix when that happened.

My website is offline at the moment, but if you send me an email via the private-messaging on these here Cakewalk forums I will email the file to you. I hope to have my website back online in the next few weeks--there have been quite a few people looking for tweakDimension while my website has been down.

Sincerely,

Bob Hammond (techead)
    music4all
    RE: dimension pro installation confusion 2007/05/21 21:26:43 (permalink)

Thanks for your efforts Bob. Message sent!

Harvey
    techead
    RE: dimension pro installation confusion 2007/05/22 06:38:22 (permalink)

Harvey, I sent you the .zip file for tweakDimension this morning.

Have fun!

-Bob
    music4all
    RE: dimension pro installation confusion 2007/05/22 11:47:29 (permalink)
    Hi Bob,

I received it. Thanks.

The multisamples directory is obvious, but what is the contents folder?

Right now I have the the first entry set to the multisamples directory of Dimension Pro and the second entry set to the Dimension Pro directory itself, yet I'm having the same problem - no pink.wav, etc.

Harvey
    techead
    RE: dimension pro installation confusion 2007/05/23 06:45:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: music4all
    The multisamples directory is obvious, but what is the contents folder?

Right now I have the the first entry set to the multisamples directory of Dimension Pro and the second entry set to the Dimension Pro directory itself, yet I'm having the same problem - no pink.wav, etc.

Harvey, here is a screen-shot of tweakDimension when run on my DAW. You can see how a default installation of Dimension Pro on my system sets the Multi-Samples and Content registry entries (they show up in the fields in tweakDimension when it first starts). What you need to do is locate the same folder names within the folder hierarchy of your system--if you installed Dimension Pro to a non-default alternate location then the folder may be a little different but you should still be able to find it. If not then something is not right about the Dimension Pro installation on your system and you might want to contact Cakewalk support for help.

Additional Note: tweakDimension version 0.2 (which is the latest release) does not yet detect Dimension LE. If you are using Dimension LE you will have to either update the registry entries manually using Windows Regedit or wait until the next version of tweakDimension is released which will add support for Dimension LE. See http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1056664 for the details.
    post edited by techead - 2007/05/23 07:24:09
    music4all
    RE: dimension pro installation confusion 2007/05/23 20:16:06 (permalink)

Hi Bob,

I ended up doing what I should have done in the first place - uninstall and reinstall everything - this time without Dimension and Dimension LE. The reinstall took longer on disk 2 I guess because the base samples needed to be loaded.

It looks like everything gets scrambled when Pro is installed over Dimension. Now everything is functioning as it should - except!!! I'll post it in a new thread.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Harvey
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1