Sample Caused Ear Splitting Distortion

Author
music4all
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 35
2007/05/23 20:27:48 (permalink)

Sample Caused Ear Splitting Distortion

Ever have something grate your ears by accident?

After getting Dimension Pro to work right I was eager to listen to some of the wide selection of samples we received on disk and by download. They're excellent and I can already hear compositions coming together with them as I listen......

all except one horribly nasty sample!!!

Its under Exapansion Pack 2, World and its called:

FG Ambient Saz !

I tried the other samples in that category and they sounded fine, such as the amped sitar. When I selected the saz sample the mouse pointer moved very slowly and the program seemed to hang. And immediately after that a horribly mangled and distorted low frequency sound came through my headphones giving me the equivalent of a jack hammer to the ear. I tried selecting other samples but the program wasn't responding. I had to use the task manager to kill it. After re-starting P5 and Dimension Pro I tested that sample again and the problem repeated. The other samples worked fine, so it must be that one nasty sample. Do you think its just a corrupted file or is that the sample from hell??? If its corrupted how can I replace it?

Thanks
Harvey

5 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Sample Caused Ear Splitting Distortion 2007/05/23 22:41:17 (permalink)
    Do you think its just a corrupted file or is that the sample from hell???
    Here's a list of the actual samples that comprise that preset. They're contained under the Multisamples folder, at 22 - Ethnic and World Instrument -> Saz. If you load them individually in an audio editor, you'll easily see if one or more has been corrupted or not.

If that's not an option, click on the Multisample slot in Dimension Pro (the second one down), navigate to the same individual sample files, and load them in turn. They should map 'correctly' to middle C when loaded in this manner. That way, you can narrow down the cause.

Here's the file list:
    DSAZ 22EX.wav
    DSAZ 2EX.wav
    DSAZ 26EX.wav
    DSAZ 29EX.wav
    DSAZ 18EX.wav
    DSAZ 20EX.wav
    DSAZ 38EX.wav
    DSAZ 40EX.wav
    naughtyhill
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Sample Caused Ear Splitting Distortion 2007/05/24 11:34:15 (permalink)
    Plays ok here. Both vst and dxi version.
    music4all
    RE: Sample Caused Ear Splitting Distortion 2007/05/24 14:31:42 (permalink)

When I looked at the multisample waveforms they all looked normal.

I tried downloading expansion pack 2 again reinstalling after uninstalling the first installation, but the results were the same - the awful noise.

Whats really weird is how P5 shows two instances after selecting that sample. Thats after the whole system slows down and starts making that noise. Its hard to close them - the task manager doesn't work at that point.

I'm using an EMU 0404 USB interface but it works perfectly.

Maybe I should try uninstalling Dimension Pro and the expansion packs and try again. What do you think?

My guess is that there's something wrong within Dimension Pro itself that causes that sample to be played back so incorrectly that the whole system is bogged down. I noticed that the CPU usage is way up while this is happening. With some of the largest presets I can hear a similar sound if a large number of notes on the piano roll are swiped. Then the CPU usage is near 100% and that nasty zipper-like noise can be heard, but only briefly.

Could it be that the saz sample totally overloads Dimension Pro?

I really want to get this resolved because I'm afraid other samples might be affected.

Thanks for any help correcting this.

Harvey
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Sample Caused Ear Splitting Distortion 2007/05/25 08:16:28 (permalink)
    Maybe I should try uninstalling Dimension Pro and the expansion packs and try again. What do you think?
    You've had more than your share of frustrations with this. I've had some sample corruptions that were corrected in this way, but I'm not so sure that you've eliminated Project5 2.5 as the cause here, either. Is there any chance of trying the same preset using DimPro in another host? Some here have had good luck with the free standalone Savihost. Also, have you tried both the DXi and VSTi versions of Dimension Pro to see if that preset reacts the same way?

Forgive the questions if you've tried all of this before. It's just that you can see that several here aren't getting the same results. I've tried to reproduce it in P5 2.5 without any luck, but that's an isolated test. What I have seen is similar results in Project5 2.5 under completely different circumstances, though. I'd like to see this fixed for you with jumping through the minimum amount of hoops.
    music4all
    RE: Sample Caused Ear Splitting Distortion 2007/05/27 17:13:45 (permalink)

I tried Dimension Pro in Acid 4 and it worked, including the bas ambient saz sample. However that same sample wouldn't work in Reaper - it overloaded the program the same way it does in P5. Samplitude and N-track Studio also could not work with that sample.

Obviously this is not as simple as it looks.

I tried uninstalling the whole works (P5, Dimension Pro, updates, expansion packs and the result was the same. Then I uninstalled again but this time started with P5 2.5. Its a full install and works fine, so I proceeded to install Dimension pro, etc.

This time things seemed to work better in general - faster and smoother. But when it came to that saz sample, P5 choked again with the CPU usage at 100%. However I was able to kill it without too much of a problem, unlike the full P5 2, 2.1 and 2.5 install. Apparently 2.5 handles this problem better than the layered installs.

Right now I've uninstalled P5 2.5 and am going to try reinstalling it. I'm wondering if I should have installed Dimension Pro first - before P5.

I was thinking about buying Sonar with the sale thats on, but if P5/Dimension are this much trouble I'm not going to risk wasting this much time again.

I'm moving this thread into the P5 forum at this point, and if nothing changes its time to talk to Caekewalk.

Thanks
    Harvey
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1