Sambafied God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

Author
B_Nez
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 330
2007/05/24 12:55:07 (permalink)

Sambafied God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

I thought I'd share this. I'm currently taking Arranging 1 through Berkleemusic.com, and I just completed my first project. I had to write a new arrangement for an existing song in any style. Unfortunately, I've been traveling, so in lieu of my studio, I had to do this entirely on my laptop, which doesn't have all of the plugins and samples that my workstation at home does. I had to make due with the Roland Sound Canvas, the bundled plugs, and a couple of other VSTs I happened to have on there. Despite this, I think it sounds pretty darned decent.

Both the mp3 and the score in PDF are posted on my Berklee promo page. They're on the left side - music on top, score at the bottom. Thanks for looking.

MOTU 828mkII, M-Audio Octane
Event TR-8N, Sonar 6.2.1 Producer
http://go.berkleemusic.com/Samsound
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=380296

8 Replies Related Threads

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Sambafied God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen 2007/05/24 16:26:02 (permalink)
    Wayne,
    That's a darn good, latin sounding rendition! 1st I've heard it done like that. I enjoyed it. Hope you get an A+ for this.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Sambafied God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen 2007/05/25 08:59:54 (permalink)
    Wayne - this is a nice colorful arrangement, I think you've done a great job. are you wanting critique on the arrangement, the mixing, the recording, or all of the above?

for the arrangement I have no critique - it's done very well and adds a great modern touch to this old song.
    everything's MIDI here, tho and that's very obvious. you definately don't want your MIDI to sound like it's MIDI and unfortunately yours does. you need to humanize it, make it sound like the instruments are really being played.

of course, that may be well beyond what you need to do for this assignment, and if so, that's great...just a note for future reference.
    keep up the good work...and I thank you for serving in the AF for our country and I love your goals for your future! good luck!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Sambafied God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen 2007/05/25 10:25:49 (permalink)
    Wayne,
    My oldest son has been in the AF for 12 yrs. now. Toured Iraq 2x. Now stationed in the Tampa area. He'll be a lifer! You're the best!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    B_Nez
    RE: Sambafied God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen 2007/05/25 11:18:29 (permalink)
    Thanks, guys, for the good words. Yeah, the assignment is just the arrangement - the audio requirement is minimal for the sole purpose of knowing what our arrangements are supposed to sound like. Most folks just exported MIDI form Finale, but I couldn't help but try to make it sound somewhat decent. Dealing with Finale sucked up so much of my time, I really could only give it a rudimentary treatment in Sonar. Also, I had to monitor with earbuds. The horror! I don't normally do all MIDI recordings, though. I'll be home for the next project, so the only thing that will be MIDI is the drums - everything else will be tracked. The other couple tunes on my promo page are much more representative of my work.

I spent this summer in Iraq, which was a blast, but right now I'm actually in Greece. I'm happy to serve; I've got the best job in the military. I should be posting another unique tune in a few weeks. Thanks.

opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: Sambafied God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen 2007/05/25 12:35:03 (permalink)
    Fine work and a good, original concept for the exercise. The intro sounds a bit awkward and strained, like the music can't quite find the mode it wants to be in, but once it kicks in properly it flows right.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    DuRod
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1082
    RE: Sambafied God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen 2007/05/25 12:46:18 (permalink)
    I agree with opaque, the intro was just a little shaky, but the groove came thru quick and it sounds excellent. Very good spicy kick to a classic. I too add my sincere thanks for what you are doing for us back here at home. Our prayers are with you and may God protect you a bring you home safely to your family. Beautiful music.......thanks. Press ON!!!!!
    B_Nez
    RE: Sambafied God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen 2007/05/26 19:33:54 (permalink)
    It's funny you mention that about the intro. I had pretty much written the intro first, the rest of the song, then the ending last. Had I written the intro and ending together, I probably would have made the intro fit better. I think the ending works well, because transitioning from the samba into swing (for the trumpet solo) is a fairly normal thing, and the ending fits the swing style. However my original choice of a "grandiose", almost theatrical introduction isn't really something you normally hear leading into a samba piece. So yeah, I think you're definitely right about that. Maybe at some later time I'll go back and write a better introduction that fits better. For now, it's onto the next project. I got an A, by the way. So, pretty thrilled about that. Thanks for the, as always, constructive criticism.

ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: Sambafied God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen 2007/05/26 21:23:03 (permalink)
    Wayne,

Good stuff - fresh take on some familiar material. Nice creative approach. Good arrangement, well done.

Bill
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1