Some Rapture presets stop audio engine in Sonar 6

Author
diamondjim
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 241
2007/06/03 14:36:01 (permalink)

Some Rapture presets stop audio engine in Sonar 6

Loaded Rapture 1.1 as a synth using the Synth Rack in Sonar 6.2 PE. When selecting some of the presets from the Expansion paks, e.g.RGC PhD Drops.prg, the audio engine stops, accompanied by some noise. Other presets work fine after restating the audio engine.

System is Core Duo with 4 gig ram, system resources not the problem.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

-+ http://www.barnjazz.com +-
pcAudioLabs Core2 Duo E6600 2.6GHz, 4 Gig Ram, Plextor DVD/CD writers, RME FF800, Tascam FW-1884, Frontier Tranzport, JBL LSR4328P monitors, UAD-1, Sonar 6 PE, Wavelab 6, Harbal, Ozone3, BFD, Rapture, Project5, DimP

6 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Some Rapture presets stop audio engine in Sonar 6 2007/06/04 08:24:58 (permalink)
    some of the presets from the Expansion paks, e.g.RGC PhD Drops.prg, the audio engine stops, accompanied by some noise.
    I'm not seeing this here (don't you just love getting that reply?). Although this may also sound like a standard brush-off reply, I have a reason for this request. Please reply with your driver type, latency setting and the tempo that your project is set at. Also, any other .prog examples that you've run across. I want to align my system with your settings, and see if that plays a role.

Did you happen to notice if Rapture's meters in the Master section maxed out when this happened? Did you hear a buildup of distorted sound, followed by a slight *pop* when the audio engine kicked out? On a rare occasion, I've seen something similar with my own presets, and I'm wondering if there's a connection here.
    Infinite5ths
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3631
    RE: Some Rapture presets stop audio engine in Sonar 6 2007/06/04 08:45:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock
    Did you happen to notice if Rapture's meters in the Master section maxed out when this happened? Did you hear a buildup of distorted sound, followed by a slight *pop* when the audio engine kicked out? On a rare occasion, I've seen something similar with my own presets, and I'm wondering if there's a connection here.

I have had this happen with a few different synths from time to time. I don't recall seeing it in Rapture....but Wusikstation & Pentagon I have done this to me. Is this some kind of general virtual instrument quirk?

Mike
    MichaelDanchi.com
    IPM Productions
    Sonar 8PE, Project 5 v2.5, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Z3TA+, RME FF400 + Presonus DigiMax FS
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Some Rapture presets stop audio engine in Sonar 6 2007/06/04 09:09:52 (permalink)
    Is this some kind of general virtual instrument quirk?
    My gut feeling, Mike, is that it's some kind of 'alignment of the planets' among the billions of possible combinations. Tons of hosts treat tempo with slight variations, and feature sets have huge ranges. Rapture can be a victim of its own depth (personally, I prefer it that way). For example, you throw eight octaves of pitch sweep in an envelope, then add a handful more with VelTrack. You don't even have to touch additive LFOs and StepGens to realize that you're way past any reasonable boundaries. Something's bound to break. The same goes for filters.

With a shipping preset, that's been 'field-tested' on a number of systems; before and after release. That leads me to believe that system conditions line up to produce an unexpected result, on just a few (or many more) systems. It may be a combination that wasn't anticipated beforehand. I've driven myself crazy over things like that, only to find out that they disappear when I changed latency or base tempo.

Nine times out of ten, if I reported it through the proper channels with a Cakewalk synth, the problem was addressed in the next update. The key is to document a repeatable recipe (not always the easiest road). Then those on the receiving end of the request can reconstruct it to address the problem.
    post edited by b rock - 2007/06/04 09:13:01
    Infinite5ths
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3631
    RE: Some Rapture presets stop audio engine in Sonar 6 2007/06/04 09:41:46 (permalink)
    Yes....and with Wusikstation, it took WilliamK a little while to figure out what was up; but since he fixed it, I've not seen the issue in that synth. So I guess sometimes it's a one-time fix.

Mike
    MichaelDanchi.com
    IPM Productions
    Sonar 8PE, Project 5 v2.5, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Z3TA+, RME FF400 + Presonus DigiMax FS
    diamondjim
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 241
    RE: Some Rapture presets stop audio engine in Sonar 6 2007/06/04 12:05:10 (permalink)
    I will get back to you on the settings, however regarding the sound, there was a pop that sounded kind of distorted, but it was very short, just prior to the audio engine stopping.

-+ http://www.barnjazz.com +-
    pcAudioLabs Core2 Duo E6600 2.6GHz, 4 Gig Ram, Plextor DVD/CD writers, RME FF800, Tascam FW-1884, Frontier Tranzport, JBL LSR4328P monitors, UAD-1, Sonar 6 PE, Wavelab 6, Harbal, Ozone3, BFD, Rapture, Project5, DimP
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Some Rapture presets stop audio engine in Sonar 6 2007/06/04 21:44:12 (permalink)
    I don't yet own Rapture, but I've had this problem with other VST synths at times, including Zeta.

I believe it's the result of a bad data file. Perhaps the SF2 used in that particular patch is corrupt?

If you really want to waste a lot of time on it, you can try turning off all the elements, adding them in one-at-a-time, trying to determine exactly what part blows it up.

Or you can try reloading the patch library and forget about it. (get a new download first).

--kwgm
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1