Cool Edit Pro 2.0

Author
bbulus
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2007/06/16 20:56:19 (permalink)

Cool Edit Pro 2.0

I have Cool Edit and I recorded the audio from a VHS cassette of a live recording in a club. I now have a .wav file 50 minutes long. There are about 15 songs on it and I would like to separate each song and save it as a file so I can burn it on a CD but I don't know how to do that. Can anyone explain that to me? This is the first time I'm using a music program and someone gave it to me. I know that must be a very basic step but somehow I can't figure it out and I need to do it in a hurry. Or... am I out of luck since I recorded it with no breaks?
thanks so much, barb

8 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Cool Edit Pro 2.0 2007/06/17 08:52:04 (permalink)
    Someone gave you the software. Thats your first mistake. your secound mistake is that this is a Sonar/cakewalk forum. If you have no experience with a sequencing software, i suggest you better start reading the manual. Its not an instal and lets start editing type of program. Ask your friend who gave it to you , to give you the manual.

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    KlientL
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: Cool Edit Pro 2.0 2007/06/18 09:56:33 (permalink)
    You want to start in the edit wave form window (not the multitrack windows). Find the beginning of one of the startpoints, click and drag to the end of one of the end points ( it should be highlighted where you dragged) right click and click "save to new". It will bring it up in another window. Continue to do that for all of the clips and save each one as a different name before you exit.

Software:HS2004XL, Cool Edit Pro 2, Reason 3, Recycle, Nu Jointz
    Midi controller:Maudio 49e, Frontier Tranzport
    Soundcard:Emu 1820
    Monitors:Maudio Bx8
    HP: 1GB Ram,160 Gb hard drive, 320Gb ext drive XP,Pentium 4 processer 2.93 GHz 1mb L2 Cache 533
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: Cool Edit Pro 2.0 2007/06/20 22:41:07 (permalink)
    Find the beginning of one of the startpoints, click and drag to the end of one of the end points ( it should be highlighted where you dragged) right click and click "save to new".

You could also just "Cut" and then "Paste To New". Cool Edit was the best wave editor ever. It's a shame Cakewalk didn't buy it. If there's one thing they're in need of it's a good editor.
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Cool Edit Pro 2.0 2007/06/21 06:31:42 (permalink)
    Cool Edit was the best wave editor ever. It's a shame Cakewalk didn't buy it.

Adobe had their eyes on the ball a bit better, indeed - it would seem, but: it probably was either too expensive for CW, or it would have upped the price of their products in an unacceptable manner, think that's probably closer to the mark.

[For those that find that statement confusing, CoolEdit is now called Adobe Audition and costs quite a bundle, I find -SF9 is just over half the price, which quite correctly reflects the diff in quality, IMO].

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Cool Edit Pro 2.0 2007/06/21 13:04:30 (permalink)
    There is also the fact that it's never as simple as just buying a piece of software and slapping it into your own product. It is often brutal to integrate another piece of completely separately developed software into another product and even after all that work you often end up with a fragile, hacked up piece of doo that will never be really fully integrated at the code level. It would often be not much harder, and you can often end with a far better product, if you just roll your own.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Roflcopter
    RE: Cool Edit Pro 2.0 2007/06/21 14:00:30 (permalink)
    There is also the fact that it's never as simple as just buying a piece of software and slapping it into your own product. It is often brutal to integrate another piece of completely separately developed software into another product and even after all that work you often end up with a fragile, hacked up piece of doo that will never be really fully integrated at the code level. It would often be not much harder, and you can often end with a far better product, if you just roll your own.

Speaking in general, I would agree completely - but not in this case - you can slap in any old wav-editor in Sonar (one reason it will never have its own now). You could even go so far as to say Sonar relies on addons slapped onto any new improved version, for at least 30- 40 percent - and a lot of small Sonar depts *are* tiny sub-exe's. (plugin manager, loop explorer and a few others).

Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: Cool Edit Pro 2.0 2007/06/22 10:28:16 (permalink)
    Yeah, this is a bit of a different situation. First, we should differenciate between Cool Edit Pro and Cool Edit 2000. Pro was a multitrack recording app that had a built-in wave editor. It ran around $300 when Syntrillium had I think. Cool Edit 2000 was just the wave editor by itself and could be had for well under a hundred bucks. When Dave Johnston sold the company to Adobe, he only sold the Pro version. He still owns CE 2000. However, as part of the deal, he not only sold CE Pro to Adobe, but took a job with the company as chief engineer for the very product he sold them. So even though it's now called Adobe Audition, it's still developed by the same guy who owned it all the years it was CE Pro.

Now, even though he still owns CE 2000, Adobe would frown on his selling it to people because they would see it as competing with them. So CE 2000 is in Limbo. It's not owned by Adobe, but it's also not being sold by Dave (his former company--Syntrillium--is out of business since he took the new job).

If you owned CE 2000 and then bought GT Pro 2.0 or earlier version of GT, CE 2000 would automatically show up in the tools section. So if you wanted to edit a track in GT Pro, you just had to highlight it, click tools/CE 2000, and it would automatically launch CE 2000 and your track would be in the main window ready to edit. When you were done you simply clicked saved and exited CE 2000. Then GT Pro would ask if you wanted to keep the changes you made to the track. Just click yes or no, and that was it. So CE 2000 was sort of integrated into GT Pro at one time and it worked great. Why Cakewalk didn't buy CE 2000 (not talking about CE Pro) is beyond me. It was a great 1+2 punch and would have worked equally well in Sonar.
    Roflcopter
    RE: Cool Edit Pro 2.0 2007/06/22 12:27:54 (permalink)
    Well, as you say, it sounds like Limbo alright, even though the Vatican recently abolished the concept.

I guess it's Audacity/Wavosaurus as respectable freebies for starters, SoundForge covering the middle spectrum, and Audition for the real thing, as things stand - and probably will still stand 2 years from now, even. Depressing maybe, but I've already budgeted Audition in - don't think I'll really be pleased with less.
    post edited by Roflcopter - 2007/06/22 12:32:25

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1