Synchronizing rapture across computers?

Author
aiken
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 113
2007/06/20 00:18:52 (permalink)

Synchronizing rapture across computers?

A friend and I are working on some projects, keeping a master songs directory in sync with subversion.

I'm starting to dig into rapture programming, but it's unclear how best to make sure that any patches that I write are transparently visible/usable/used when he loads up a song. It seems that rapture wants to keep patches in its install directory, which it probably doesn't make sense to share.

If we develop a synchronized directory for patches (say, e:\music\instruments\rapture\), and pre-populate it with the stock and expansion pack instruments, is there any way to tell Rapture to use that directory instead of its install directory?

Alternatively, is there any other approach to collaborating on original sounds that makes more sense?

Thanks
-b

4 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Synchronizing rapture across computers? 2007/06/20 07:33:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: aiken

If we develop a synchronized directory for patches (say, e:\music\instruments\rapture\), and pre-populate it with the stock and expansion pack instruments, is there any way to tell Rapture to use that directory instead of its install directory?

Thanks
    -b

You can edit a Windows registry key that Rapture uses to determine where to look for its content. Launch Windows regedit.exe and navigate to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Rapture\

Look for the value name on the right called "Contents Folder". Double-click it to open it and change its value data from

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Rapture

to

e:\music\instruments\rapture

After saving and exiting Regedit and then relaunching your host application and Rapture you should find that Rapture will use the new location for its multisamples, wavetables, and other items. Note that you do not include a trailing slash on the content folder name in that registry entry.

dougsyo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: Synchronizing rapture across computers? 2007/06/20 11:29:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: aiken

A friend and I are working on some projects, keeping a master songs directory in sync with subversion.

Subversion to manage music - a man after my own heart!

(Actually I never thought of that as a solution to collaboration, but it makes a lot of sense!)

Doug

Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.
    For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm
    aiken
    RE: Synchronizing rapture across computers? 2007/06/20 14:21:12 (permalink)
    Thanks, techead. That worked great.

And yeah, dougsyo, SVN works well for this purpose. We're still figuring out some workflow issues -- stuff like not uploading the wav files from frozen synths, since they get really big and are much quicker to recreate than to upload/download. But on the whole it seems like a good approach for both ease of sharing and version control ("Didn't this part used to have drums?").

Cheers
    -b
    aiken
    RE: Synchronizing rapture across computers? 2007/06/20 19:54:38 (permalink)
    Ooops. Spoke too soon.

This works on XP. It does not work on Vista, because Rapture stores its data in c:\programData\Cakewalk\Rapture on vista. I tried adding a "Content Folder" key to HKCU/Software/Cakewalk Music Software/Rapture, but that did no good.

I ended up deleting the c:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Rapture directory, and then using mklink to make a symbolic link over to the SVN repository. That seems to be working fine.

Cheers
    -b
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1