MPL-1 Pro SE - Precision Limiter from Kjaerhus Audio

Author
Kjaerhus
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2007/06/20 03:55:29 (permalink)

MPL-1 Pro SE - Precision Limiter from Kjaerhus Audio

It is with great pleasure that we introduce the MPL-1 Pro Second Edition!

The MPL-1 Pro SE is a new edition of the awarded Mastering Precision Limiter, now available for both PC Windows and Mac OSX in VST/AU/RTAS format.

You can read about it here:

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/mpl-1.php

Enjoy :)

Torben

17 Replies Related Threads

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: MPL-1 Pro SE - Precision Limiter from Kjaerhus Audio 2007/06/20 03:59:57 (permalink)
    We were discussing limiters in another thread. I mentioned that an update was available, but I'm not really sure what is new about it. So what are the improvements and fixes and so forth?

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Kjaerhus
    RE: MPL-1 Pro SE - Precision Limiter from Kjaerhus Audio 2007/06/20 04:12:36 (permalink)
    Mostly that it is available for OSX and in AU/RTAS format as well. But besides this:

1. You can enter parameter values directly.

2. You can select MIDI CC channel.

3. When using dithering the output is now quantisized, so you know you hear what you get.

4. Comes in a Mono version as well (saves CPU if you want it on a mono track).

Torben
    droddey
    RE: MPL-1 Pro SE - Precision Limiter from Kjaerhus Audio 2007/06/20 04:20:35 (permalink)
    One thing that I asked for at one point, and I'm not sure if others would agree that it's useful or not, would be something like a small histogram of overs that were clipped. So you would maintain a small histogram of overs based on sample size of the overs. So the histogram would be something like 1 to 128 samples, plus an 'anything bigger than 128' bucket. You just bump each bucket when there's an over of that size that must be knocked down. When a run is completed, we could then see how much limiting was required at what sample sizes and decide whether we think that's acceptable, or whether we should go back and deal with some of the peaks manually in the mix. A very simple bar graph type of presentation would probably work just fine for that display.

Maybe that's not worth it, I dunno. It seems like a fairly light weight operation to collection that histogram info, and more info is always better than less. Lots of people seem to have rules for how big an over is acceptable and in what numbers, so having the limiter collection that info would let them know if they are within their self-imposed limitations.

post edited by droddey - 2007/06/20 04:25:48

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Kjaerhus
    RE: MPL-1 Pro SE - Precision Limiter from Kjaerhus Audio 2007/06/20 05:13:31 (permalink)
    I can give you that histogram: 0 Overs! ;)

Torben
    MandolinPicker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: MPL-1 Pro SE - Precision Limiter from Kjaerhus Audio 2007/06/20 06:17:30 (permalink)
    Just wanted to say 'Thanks' for the Classic Collection you guys offer for free. Good stuff at a good 'price'

Thanks!!

The Mandolin Picker
    "Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
    droddey
    RE: MPL-1 Pro SE - Precision Limiter from Kjaerhus Audio 2007/06/20 12:43:40 (permalink)
    I can give you that histogram: 0 Overs! ;)

OK, yes, that's true after the fact :-) But what would have been....

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    DaveClark
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 956
    RE: MPL-1 Pro SE - Precision Limiter from Kjaerhus Audio 2007/06/20 16:41:33 (permalink)
    Hi Dean,

Although you've made a suggestion which may seem somewhat obvious at first, and although the question of "How far over am I?" comes up most insistently right at the end of the whole process when you might be using a master limiter, I don't think it's appropriate to have such a thing in the limiter itself.

Despite the fact that it would often be useful to have more information, this capability never did get very high on my own list of priorities for stuff I wrote myself because this kind of analysis knows no end. How many are there? What is the biggest one? What does their distribution look like? What are the statistics? Where are they most strongly grouped? What are the dominant frequencies (instruments)? Can I just select 10% of the song? Are they mostly negative or positive? There is truly no end to this.

What you are suggesting should be in a completely separate tool with a lot more capability for analysis than you suggested in order to be really useful. I do sympathize, however, and every once in a while I kick myself for not having included this in my own stuff other than "WARNING: Clipping occurred!"

Regards,
    Dave Clark

droddey
    RE: MPL-1 Pro SE - Precision Limiter from Kjaerhus Audio 2007/06/20 18:21:00 (permalink)
    The problem with a separate tool though is that the stats are meaningless outside of the actual limiter because only there will you actually know what really got chopped off. The external tool could do a 'normalize to +X' and then see what would clip, and that would be good for going back in the mix and knocking them down via automation or tighter compression attack and whatnot, but it wouldn't help you in the actual final limiting stage to know really how much of what was required to be clipped, because only the limiter you use and it's particular algorithm will know how much it actually had to do, and in that paritcular case I think that the whole song as it would have been limited is the appropriate span of the data collection but of course if the tool just always cleared the histogram on start of playback and collected till stopped, you could use it easily enough to evaluate a particular section of the piece.

Anyway, maybe it's still not that useful, but I always think that more info is better than less. Better to have it and not want to look at, than to want to look at it and not have it.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    DaveClark
    RE: MPL-1 Pro SE - Precision Limiter from Kjaerhus Audio 2007/06/20 19:05:25 (permalink)
    Hi Dean,

...the stats are meaningless outside of the actual limiter...

That's a silly exaggeration. They can be very helpful for those who know anything about limiting, even when the exact algorithm is unclear.

Again I raise the same point: This analysis turns out to be endless. Furthermore, you could also use the same argument for ANY plugin: Self-analysis of the plugin as the processing takes place. This could end up being far more complicated than the processing itself. Where does this stop? Again, I think that this is not appropriate for current technologies. Yes, it could be helpful, but I wouldn't put it in my stuff.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

droddey
    RE: MPL-1 Pro SE - Precision Limiter from Kjaerhus Audio 2007/06/20 19:14:09 (permalink)
    That's a silly exaggeration. They can be very helpful for those who know anything about limiting, even when the exact algorithm is unclear.

Well you don't even need a tool to know that something sticking up 6dB higher than the rest of the content needs to be knocked down to get the rest up. I didn't mean to imply that it's useless in general, but that it's not going to tell exactly what the limiter is going to do when you limit it, because that depends on various configurable settings in the limiter.

I never understand this whole thing, which comes up often, where people seem to react strongly against just information being available. If you don't want to use it, don't use it. If you do, it's there. That's what computers are for. It's pretty straightforward for them to collection information and make it available visually. How can you argue against more information when you don't even have to use it if you don't want to?

If the design of your particular plugin would make it very hard to collect this information, then don't do it. But if that analysis has already been done in order to do the limiting correctly, and from the reading the Kjaerhus info it sounds like it would have this information, though it may not have been designed such that the collecting of it is practical, then storing it and making it available seems a logical step to me. I can make use of that information should I choose to. Ok, I see that after bring it up in Audigy and normalizing it up to +whatever and finding the peaks and knocking them down, that I still have a fairly number of clips that are more than x samples in size, maybe I want to back off on the limiter threshold a little bit. It's just data. It won't hurt you.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    richiegrizz
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: MPL-1 Pro SE - Precision Limiter from Kjaerhus Audio 2007/06/20 19:59:43 (permalink)
    Does anyone out there know where I can find the correct instrument definitions for a yamaha mo6 for sonar home studio 6? I have downloaded those suggested by cakewalk but not all the definitions match appropriatley to my synthesizer!
    droddey
    RE: MPL-1 Pro SE - Precision Limiter from Kjaerhus Audio 2007/06/20 20:00:45 (permalink)
    That's a bit of a non sequitur in this thread. You might want to start another thread on that subject.

[Edited to keep mother off my back due to spelling errors]
    post edited by droddey - 2007/06/20 21:31:26

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: MPL-1 Pro SE - Precision Limiter from Kjaerhus Audio 2007/06/20 20:43:19 (permalink)
    non-sequitar

http://web.comhem.se/hansdotter/romanes.html

It's non sequitur.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: MPL-1 Pro SE - Precision Limiter from Kjaerhus Audio 2007/06/20 21:15:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Kjaerhus

It is with great pleasure that we introduce the MPL-1 Pro Second Edition!

The MPL-1 Pro SE is a new edition of the awarded Mastering Precision Limiter, now available for both PC Windows and Mac OSX in VST/AU/RTAS format.

You can read about it here:

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/mpl-1.php

Enjoy :)

Torben

Hi Torben ,
    wow , its good to see you guys posting over here.....
    I love the MPL-1 Pro and I consider it to be one of my favorite plugs period...
    also love the VC 64 ....I hope some day to afford bail to get it out of SONAR house arrest and get a version of the the plug to use in other apps..
    got the e mail yesterday about the SE update ,
    updated my MPL -1 Pro to SE a couple of hours ago ,
    havnt had the chance to check out the the diff yet ...
    I'm looking foward to it though

Edit...well I did install and register the update....
    now when I go to save a SONAR projet using The MPL -1 Pro SE
    SONAR encounters an error and closes down ....
    it dosent do that with the original MPL-1 Pro , only the new updated SE over here
    hhmmm, any sugestions?

thanks
    Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2007/06/21 06:03:04

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

DaveClark
    RE: MPL-1 Pro SE - Precision Limiter from Kjaerhus Audio 2007/06/21 16:53:57 (permalink)
    Hi Dean,

Again you are exaggerating:

...where people seem to react strongly against just information being available.

I myself am not at all "react(ing) strongly against just information being available." If you'll kindly re-read my posts, you'll see that I agreed in principle with "information being available." I wish more were. But that's not the full extent of what you are asking. It's a matter of priorities. It's a matter of what goes where --- how to organize things. There are several additional considerations here that you are overlooking.

Also, what you are asking for is not as simple as you seem to think it is. In order to be truly useful so that is justifies inclusion in the limiter itself as you argue, the analysis would have to quite far beyond merely "print X" where X is already available. You yourself appear to be unclear, by the way, by saying "what would have been" AND "how much it actually had to do." Now if I'm mistaken and you really know exactly what needs to be done and feel that strongly about it, then please volunteer to write the code rather than just asking someone else to do it! All the users would appreciate it.

If you're not willing to go that far, then all I can do is wish you "Good Luck!" in your campaign.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

droddey
    RE: MPL-1 Pro SE - Precision Limiter from Kjaerhus Audio 2007/06/21 17:24:08 (permalink)
    Huh? I'm in the automation software business. He's in the limiter software business. I bought his product, and I'm just proposing a new feature be added, something that is well within my rights as a customer. If Cakewalk came back to you with that kind of answer when you proposed a new feature to SONAR (which may very well not be convenient or easy for them to implement), what would you think? I'm kind of having trouble getting my head around your attitude about this. I spend the bulk of my waking hours implementing things that are very inconvenient for me to achive, and for which I personally would have no use, but which make my customers happy because they do have a use for it. It's not their responsiblity to just want easy features.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: MPL-1 Pro SE - Precision Limiter from Kjaerhus Audio 2007/06/22 23:08:51 (permalink)
    problem solved with the 1.01 version

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1