PC performance, Dual Xeons, etc.

Author
Tube
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 98
2007/06/20 12:34:02 (permalink)

PC performance, Dual Xeons, etc.

I currently run Sonar 4 PE on a Dell with a P4 2.26mhz and 1gig of 266mhz DDR ram and a MAudio Firewire Solo. It’s obviously not a very strong set up, but I’m used to making due with a slow PC, and it’s enough to get me by.

Well I’m in a position now to acquire another computer and I was wondering whether or not it would actually be an upgrade. This dinosaur is a Dell Precision 530 with Dual 1.5mhz Xeon processors. It also uses Rambus ram. I’m not sure how much RAM is in it now but it has four slots.

So would moving from a P4 2.26 to Dual 1.5 Xeons be much of an upgrade? If so, would it be significant? Would Sonar actually use both of the processors at the same time? Would Sonar run better or worse on Xeon processors? Is Rambus ram so crappy that I don’t want to go down that road?

The old 530 isn’t going to cost me anything, but if it’s not going to be much of an improvement I don’t want to fool with it.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

10 Replies Related Threads

jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    RE: PC performance, Dual Xeons, etc. 2007/06/20 12:50:03 (permalink)
    the p4 is probably faster

Scott
    ADK
    Tube
    RE: PC performance, Dual Xeons, etc. 2007/06/20 18:20:22 (permalink)
    Thanks. If it was going to be close (or especially if the 530 was going to be slower) I wasn't going to bother messing with the thing.

I know that Xeons are or at least were supposed to be better, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: PC performance, Dual Xeons, etc. 2007/06/20 18:46:15 (permalink)
    Sonar does utilize all cores. Unless you have an M box or digi soundcard. Jcs does know his $hit when it comes to pc's. Thats what he does. Im just answering your question to , does sonar use bothe cores. goodday
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: PC performance, Dual Xeons, etc. 2007/06/20 20:55:46 (permalink)
    with that much of a speed difference the p4 will be better. if it was a pair of 2.0ghz xeons that would be a different story, but i'd steer clear of rambus. i believe it's nearly been put out to pasture but i suppose some boards still use it.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Tube
    RE: PC performance, Dual Xeons, etc. 2007/06/21 12:42:19 (permalink)
    So I take it that with dual processors you don't add them together to get the total speed? As in, two independant 1.5ghz processors won't be the equivalent of having 1 3ghz processor?

I've given up on the old 530 because I found out someone took the RAM out of it. It wouldn't be worth buying all new RAM for it when I could spend a lot less and put another gig in my P4. I'm just curious about how the whole dual processor thing works. I never understood how they work together or divide the work load, etc.
    wogg
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1819
    RE: PC performance, Dual Xeons, etc. 2007/06/21 13:56:11 (permalink)
    So I take it that with dual processors you don't add them together to get the total speed? As in, two independant 1.5ghz processors won't be the equivalent of having 1 3ghz processor?

Not exactly... Sonar will scale perhaps about 80-90% with the addition of a second identical core. But in this case you've got memory performance differences, as well as some significant changes in the chip design itself which will make that comparison inaccurate.

Homepage:
    The World of Wogg

JB1592
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: PC performance, Dual Xeons, etc. 2007/06/21 19:24:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Tube

I've given up on the old 530 because I found out someone took the RAM out of it. It wouldn't be worth buying all new RAM for it when I could spend a lot less and put another gig in my P4. I'm just curious about how the whole dual processor thing works. I never understood how they work together or divide the work load, etc.

It's complicated. It depends a lot on the type of workload you're throwing at the machine, and it also depends on the architecture of the system. For example, on Intel systems there can be a performance penalty due to the sharing of the FSB causing memory bandwidth issues as you scale up in number of processors. That often isn't an issue with only two cores, but it can start to show if you go to 4 or 8 core systems. In this particular case, you're talking about an older generation of Xeon running a lesser form of memory on a just plain older platform which means even more points against the 530.

As for the workload, processing on a PC is divided up into pieces called "threads" of code. Dual processor machines are simply two processors in the same system, each able to handle a single thread of code at once (without delving into the Hyperthreading complication). Whether that helps or not depends on the application being run. Apps that are referred to as multithreaded will benefit from having more cores to run on, while apps that are singlethreaded will not. Further complicating things is the fact that some types of processing can be split up more efficiently. Even some multithreaded apps will only gain a small boost by having a second core, while others (mostly just encoding work and such, converting WAVs to MP3s or MPEG2 to DIVX for examples) can actually come very close to reaching the theoretical maximum of being twice as fast as a single processor would be.

So, generally speaking, what you would end up with in this trade:

1) Apps that don't take much advantage of a second core would be SIGNIFICANTLY slower.

2) The few applications that do take extremely good advantage of the second core would be a little faster

3) Bandwidth sensitive apps would likely be slower

4) The platform as a whole would be slightly slower

Overall, I'd not really think it would be worth it. Especially given that there's no RAM in that machine. Given the cost of RAMBUS, you could likely upgrade your current system to something that would stomp on that 530 for less than the price of replacing the memory in the other system.
    Tube
    RE: PC performance, Dual Xeons, etc. 2007/06/21 19:35:15 (permalink)
    Cool. Thanks for taking the time to make the detailed post, I appreciate it.

Given the cost of RAMBUS, you could likely upgrade your current system to something that would stomp on that 530 for less than the price of replacing the memory in the other system.

As for upgrading my current set up. Without getting into overclocking and whatnot, what are my options for speeding up my system as far as running sonar is concerned? Is maxing out my ram about my only real option?
    post edited by Tube - 2007/06/21 19:43:52
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: PC performance, Dual Xeons, etc. 2007/06/21 19:50:15 (permalink)
    what p4 you using? 478-pin or 775? if 478 you could go up to 3Ghz processor, if 775 i think about 3.6. just bear in mind dells are a pita to upgrade due to their proprietry mobos and bios, so if you do upgrade ur cpu make sure you've really checked out what you've got in there!! (i had an old dimension 2.4 celeron, wanted to upgrade cpu, but it would only take northwood p4, not any old 478 pin one....) the dell website, somewhere deep in the bowels, has a list of exactly what cpu/mobo/bios yyour system has, get hold of that first...but upgrading ram should be easy enough...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    JB1592
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: PC performance, Dual Xeons, etc. 2007/06/24 15:13:41 (permalink)
    Yeah, the fact that it's a Dell is a minor hindrance. You'd have to check with them for exactly what will be compatible with your motherboard. I wasn't really thinking it out fully when I said that; forgot about the Dell impact. I was generally thinking you could replace the motherboard, memory, and processor for a few hundred bucks. That would go up some due to the fact that you'd have to replace the case and power supply too (I don't think Dell's cases are compatible with standard motherboards). Your hard drive and optical drive(s) would likely be reusable though (especially if you have SATA hard drives) as would most other peripherals.

According to Crucial's website it would end up costing you nearly $500 for 1GB of memory for that Dell though, so it's still not all that far off even with the additional parts you'd need. Assuming you can reuse a few parts as mentioned above, you could build a low-end Core 2 Duo or a decent Athlon X2 system for not much more than that. It's definitely not worth it.
    post edited by JB1592 - 2007/06/24 15:19:52
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1