Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS

Author
samhoff
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 304
2007/06/25 11:07:44 (permalink)

Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS

I'm not even a guitar player but since many of you are:

I see from the PBS magazine that they will be doing a feature on Les Paul July 11 at 9PM (in the Wyoming/Colorado region). Presumably it is also aired other places though I don't know when.

Sam

29 Replies Related Threads

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/06/25 11:16:52 (permalink)
    I had the privilege of seeing Les play at "Fat Tuesdays" in NYC. Thanks for sharing that info.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/06/25 14:53:31 (permalink)
    Cool. Do you realize how old that guy is now? I'm pretty sure he's got to be arouond 90.
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/06/25 15:33:36 (permalink)
    He celebrated his birthday this month. 06/09/1915 ! UNREAL.

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/06/25 15:42:46 (permalink)
    He's always been a great innovator, hope somebody records it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=foXSXOAfB4U

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/06/26 01:47:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL:

I'm pretty sure he's got to be arouond 90.

yeah he is up there
    when I was at Mannys he invited us out to his 70 th ? birthday party at the Hard Rock Cafe in NYC
    talk about a list of greats in attendance
    Tony Bennet on vocals,,,,an assortment of guys sitting in
    Robbie K.. Al Dimeola, Nile Rogers, to name a few
    a freaking Whos Who of Les Paul guitar players there as far as the ones I forgot about
    my ailing memory..lol
    Jeff Beck he was there hanging, but he didnt sit in
    Les played quite a bit that night and hosted the all star jam....
    which smoked......an event that I wont forget anytime soon ,
    havnt been to anthing like it ....in recent years ...
    oh well , life in the guitar players version of the witness protection program

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Joe Bravo
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/07/11 17:24:28 (permalink)
    Tonight's the night, 8:30 central time.
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/07/12 09:57:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: samhoff

I'm not even a guitar player but since many of you are:

I see from the PBS magazine that they will be doing a feature on Les Paul July 11 at 9PM (in the Wyoming/Colorado region). Presumably it is also aired other places though I don't know when.

Sam

Yes ! I got to see it last night. Even if you don't play guitar he also invented multi-track recording so he is the man that started all the stuff we love and made most of the recordings we love (of all kinds) possible. The stuff he did in the studio with Mary Ford would blow your mind, even the great George Martin didn't use that many tricks, and by the way Les did it first. Les even made his own reverb by puting the monitor speaker down the hall of a house and let it bleed into the mic as Mary sang at the other end of the hall. All this before there were any effects boxes you could buy, the only thing he had was two tape recroders and a microphone.
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/07/12 10:16:37 (permalink)
    I'm glad he's still kicking and playing. It was a great bio on him.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    ohhey
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/07/12 12:37:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lhansen

I'm glad he's still kicking and playing. It was a great bio on him.

Did you notice on the old video clip of Django Reinhardt he was only using two fingers !! I can't even play that good with four... Les was a monster on the fretboard too, I had no idea he was that good. That stuff is not like rock stuff where the lead break is often not played the same way twice (Jimmy Page for example) the way those guys played you had to play an entire "song" and in many cases doing the melody all the way through... and it had to be right. Dude.. rock is easy compared to what those guys had to do.
    Roflcopter
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/07/12 13:21:19 (permalink)
    Would LOVE to see it. Don't they have some online dept where you can watch reruns or something?

And yes, IIRC Django played with only 2 fingers, the only ones he had left on that hand after some accident, whatever. Amazing perseverance, think most people would give up.

ohhey
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/07/12 14:10:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

Would LOVE to see it. Don't they have some online dept where you can watch reruns or something?

And yes, IIRC Django played with only 2 fingers, the only ones he had left on that hand after some accident, whatever. Amazing perseverance, think most people would give up.

Les didn't give up after his car accident either, they were going to take his right arm off but one Dr. said he could keep it but with limited movement. So Les had them design the cast so it would heal pointing to his navel so it would hang over the guitar in pick position... very cool.
    ohhey
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/07/12 14:13:59 (permalink)
    I hope these comes out of DVD some day. It's the PBS "American Masters" series and most of them are fantastic. I wish I had recorded.
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/07/12 14:17:55 (permalink)
    "Would LOVE to see it. Don't they have some online dept where you can watch reruns or something?"

I taped it and will probably put it on my YouTube channel at some point (until somebody takes it down ).

I thought it was good, but darn it, they should have shut their traps and let the man play! Not one single song got played all the way through, not even one guitar solo from beginning to end. I tuned in to watch the man play, not to hear some narrator yap.
    Roflcopter
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/07/12 14:49:07 (permalink)
    I taped it and will probably put it on my YouTube channel at some point

Yeah, normally I wouldn't really pull such stuff either, but this is public property, sortof, so you've got my full moral support. The man's a legit legend.

Those guys just love to hear their own voices, they are 'making' the program, after all. Ask incredibly lengthy 'interesting' questions, and then go to a commercial break halfway the answer. Rrrright.

marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/07/13 10:11:15 (permalink)
    Dang I missed it.

I remember him on some show and he had an echo device he invented taped onto his guitar. He called it the lespaulveriser. He had to slap it a few times to get it to work but it was fantastic what he played with it. He did some lead notes that would then echo and he timed the subsequent notes to play on top of the echo so he was playing harmony to himself.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/07/13 11:08:52 (permalink)
    Well, I'm sure sorry I missed it. But it brings to mind a track I have on a Chet Atkins CD. Les and Chet are playing. Les plays a dozen or so bars of a song. Chet says, "Les, I've always been a great admirer of yours, you're a true gentleman and a heck of a guitar player. But, you're not playing the darn thing right." Chet busts out with his version. Les says, " That's pretty good, but here's how you do it." And they start swapping licks back and forth, laughing and hootin' and hollerin and having a good old time. Great recording.
    Mark

Oh yeah: and Django was startlingly good

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/07/14 16:15:37 (permalink)
    Dang I missed it.

I remember him on some show and he had an echo device he invented taped onto his guitar. He called it the lespaulveriser.

I just uploaded it to google video (they have no file size limit there) so after it's done processing I'll link to it here.

If you search YouTube for Les Paul you'll find at least one video there I remember seeing of him using the lespaulveriser. It was just a remote control to an open reel tape deck he had back stage. Nice gimmick though.
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/07/14 16:17:09 (permalink)
    But it brings to mind a track I have on a Chet Atkins CD. Les and Chet are playing.

They did two albums together that I can recall. The first one figures into this documentary a little bit and it shows them accepting the grammy they won for it.
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/07/14 18:39:48 (permalink)
    Here it is; better watch it quick.

Les Paul Documentary
    Roflcopter
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/07/15 04:23:05 (permalink)
    Ah, thanks for this. 2 hrs, but worth it. Fortunately it's not one of those voice-over type jobs. They give the man center stage, that's good. One of the most get-go 90-year olds I've seen in my life, BTW.

Also, I never realized that a large part of his search for innovation (the tinny speed-up thing was a joke, of course) was given in by the need for him to stay ahead of the copycats, initially. He was succesful, and everybody was on the radio playing 'his' sounds, without him getting any of the credit or the money, so he had to do something about that, quick. Makes eminent sense. Geniuses rarely develop in a vacuum, IMO.

Joe Bravo
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/07/15 10:06:32 (permalink)
    He may have avoided the copycats, but he hurt himself in the process I think. I agree wholeheartedly with Bucky Pizzarelli in this doc that Les was at his best with the Les Paul Trio. The stuff he did later w/ Mary Ford, which is where he came up with all his multitrack/sound on sound stuff, featured a much less talented man on guitar. If you want to hear Les Paul the recording innovator, listen to the Les-Mary records, but if you want to hear Les Paul the guitarist you'll have to go back a bit further. I also thought his "sound" was a lot better when he was still playing hollow bodies. Solid bodies just aren't great for jazz guitar sounds, which most of the world has figured out by now. I mean, some guys can get away with it like John Abercrombie or Ted Greene, but even they would sound better on a hollow body guitar.

You'll notice in this doc that Les' mom lived to be 101. Longevity, like looks, is in the genes. At least I'm pretty.

PS, PBS will be showing the Les Paul Doc again today in my area 2:00 central. I'm sure they'll show it several times over the course of the next two weeks.
    post edited by Joe Bravo - 2007/07/15 12:24:00
    AlesisM51
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 623
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/07/31 03:46:33 (permalink)
    I really enjoyed it (and taped it, of course). Besides the already mentioned Django anecdotes I dug the stuff about other jazz folks like Art Tatum and Charlie Christian. I also thought that Tommy Emmanuel was very entertaining while demonstrating his love for Les' and Chet's music, (as well as showing off his own guitar playing skills). For a guy who's been alive for over 90 years I think the documentary did a decent job of trying to cover his many accomplishments.

Thumbs up.

Richard

Joe Bravo
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/07/31 23:56:39 (permalink)
    "Art Tatum"

Now there was a musician. I remember hearing an old anecdote that once tatum showed up at one of fats Waller's gigs, and Waller walked up to the mic and said, "I just play the piano, but God is in the house tonight". There's a YouTube video of him playing one complete song (there's very little film of him to be found apparently) and while he makes it look easy, believe me, these runs he's doing are incredibly difficult and very fast. very few people can do them at all. Oscar Peterson is really the only guy I know who comes close to tatum's speed and harmonic sense. But I'm a huge Peterson fan too.

yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/08/01 13:39:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Joe Bravo
    ...these runs he's doing are incredibly difficult and very fast. very few people can do them at all...

Far more impressive is that his performances were offhand improvisations, not merely technically very advanced, but musically sophisticated, complex, and played artfully and with nuance and sensitivity. His *improvisations* were not one-note-at-a-time affairs of plunking through scales, but elegant, composed, and multi-voiced fugues that just spilled out of him.

I remember hearing a recording of a startlingly baroque and florid piano arrangement he recorded of "somewhere over the rainbow," and learning that the recording was of a performance he gave a few days after attending a screening of the Wizard of Oz, which was his only prior exposure to the song. The harmonies and internal melodies he had going on in this thing were staggering.

He is the definition of the modern jazz/popular music virtuoso.
    post edited by yep - 2007/08/01 13:49:00
    Roflcopter
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/08/01 13:53:17 (permalink)
    somewhere over the rainbow

You can find it here (and a few others), officially it's 'Over the Rainbow' BTW (not as if I knew that, never worry)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6434701

henkejs
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/08/01 14:47:42 (permalink)
    Thanks for that NPR link for Art Tatum. I don't know what else to say -- mind-boggling stuff.
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/08/01 15:20:59 (permalink)
    There's a great video at YouTube that some guy put up where he keyed in all the notes from Tiger Rag with midi and then let a player piano (that works off midi) play it back. There's no video of Tatum playing this, so this midi player piano is th enext best thing. But you just sit there watching all these keys flying up and down and wonder how anyone could possibly do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNWFLgSL534&watch_response
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/08/01 15:44:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

somewhere over the rainbow

You can find it here (and a few others), officially it's 'Over the Rainbow' BTW (not as if I knew that, never worry)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6434701

I love this quote on Tatum's lack of a big-name legacy:

"...There's no Tatum songbook, because he rarely composed. In fact, it's said he was so original that he re-composed every song he ever played. His piano playing was so advanced almost nobody can copy him."

The extraordinary thing about his excruciatingly deft and difficult playing is that he does it so casually, so off-handedly. It's entertaining, poppy and fun. It's not a solo, it's just the song, ornamented. A casual music fan could listen to Tatum and not even have it occur to them that they were listening to "difficult" or "serious" music. It's what God would play if he sat down at the parlor piano for a dinner-party sing-along.

It's the inverse of showy guitar virtuosos who must have the whole world stop while they mechanically reel off box patterns in rigid meter with flat dynamics over ham-handed changes. There is nothing at all persnickety, uptight, or pompous about his playing. These incredible harmonies and complex counter-melodies just roll off his wrists like a funky player might accidentally hit extra notes in lucky spots. His playing is a waterfall of musical ideas, and the speed is just incidental to pouring out all that musical vitality in a 3-minute song.
    Roflcopter
    RE: Slightly OT: Les Paul on PBS 2007/08/01 15:56:17 (permalink)
    I sometimes wonder if there's a relationship between R. Buckminster Fuller's extreme shortsightedness and Art Tatum's blindness. They both grew up in a fog, or worse, and had to make sense of all these patterns in the only place left to them: their mind. And what minds they must have had, if the patterns flowing out of both of them are so perfectly natural, easy, correct and absolutely effortless. Dunno if you ever read anything by Bucky, but it's on the same order of complexity, in repeating patterns and shapes in geometry.

Bit difficult reading, and extraordinary ideas on you-name-it, but with a compelling authority, always.

http://www.rwgrayprojects.com/synergetics/toc/toc.html

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1