SI Demo

Author
mmarsh
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 155
2007/06/25 22:15:38 (permalink)

SI Demo

In case you're at all interested in Cakewalk's new SI instruments and would like to hear what they sound like from someone that's not Cakewalk, I did this quick and dirty demo: http://www.pantanosoftware.com/Music.html. Choose "SI Demo.mp3". It uses all four instruments and clips supplied with them. Nothing too fancy but I think you can get an idea how it sounds. The realistic graphics are not as distracting as I thought they would be and I like the piano...somebody else will have to comment on the strings. They sound good in context, but I isn't the expert.

Mike

PS _ I've cross-posted this to a couple of forums. Sorry in advance for that if it was uncool.

m

10 Replies Related Threads

mmarsh
    RE: SI Demo 2007/06/25 22:16:41 (permalink)

http://www.pantanosoftware.com/Music.html

Sorry, the period at the end screws the url...

Mike
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: SI Demo 2007/06/26 01:19:40 (permalink)
    No problem. Just listened and posted on the other thread. Hey, if you're still up and feel like it, could you play a few chord progressions using the traditional Rhodes sound? I'd like to hear how it sounds in the midrange.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    mmarsh
    RE: SI Demo 2007/06/26 13:03:04 (permalink)
    Just saw this. I'll do that and post it, then let you know...
    mmarsh
    RE: SI Demo 2007/06/26 23:51:22 (permalink)
    http://www.pantanosoftware.com/music.html

The last one in the list is a demo of the piano. PLEASE NOTE that I'm not a keyboard player . I added distortion, chorus, then tremolo, then all three...

Mike

EDIT: it's probably best to download the file. That player kinda sux...
    post edited by mmarsh - 2007/06/26 23:57:23
    Nick P
    RE: SI Demo 2007/06/27 04:08:04 (permalink)
    Nice, Michael. Thanks so much. That seals (or un-seals) the deal for me. Not what I'm looking for. But certainly a great idea for a beginning user or hobbyist. I'm surprised the choice of electric piano and not acoustic piano, however, given that most beginners and hobbyists can probably relate to an acoustic piano more than an electric.

DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    RE: SI Demo 2007/06/28 16:55:21 (permalink)
    Mike,
    You certainly had way better results than I did. Sounds good! I plugged SI into an existing project, and it just didn't hold up on the bass and drums. Keys were fine, the original used an acoustic piano, but its a blues tune and the EP worked fine.

Nick,
    You must be a keyboard player. Guitarist here. At $50 you wouldn't expect the BOMB acoustic piano (or I wouldn't). I actually think the EP is where I will get a little mileage out of SI. Better than anything I have in synth, module or software. But again, I'm a guitar player.

I don't want to put anybody off, but Mike's results are WAY WAY better than how things sounded on my end, and this was a project I was kinda proud of!

Tom

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: SI Demo 2007/07/01 18:31:23 (permalink)
    I bought it this weekend. $50 for four synths isn't bad. And when you look at the fact that there are stand alone versions too then it's more like $6.25 ea.

I didn't think that the sounds were too bad. I'll likely just use the electric piano and strings. Hopefully they will be a little less CPU expensive compared to Dim Pro.

I was hoping for more grooves but it's fairly easy to add to the library. F5 updates the browser.

Looks like there's a opening for a cottage industry for keyboardist to build groove libraries.
    I could definitely use some keyboard stuff as my skills are deficient.

OTOH, I'm not getting good results with SONAR. A lot of glitches and pops. It's seemless in P5v2.5. The standalone version works good for me in ASIO but not WDM.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Nick P
    RE: SI Demo 2007/07/01 20:46:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mod Bod

Looks like there's a opening for a cottage industry for keyboardist to build groove libraries.

This industry has existed in theory since MIDI sequencing and the data it produces could be stored and thus transmitted via floppy disk (mid 1980s). Keyfax, as well as many others, have been producing MIDI files for years.

mmarsh
    RE: SI Demo 2007/07/01 23:00:50 (permalink)
    Mike's results are WAY WAY better than how things sounded on my end

Well, I really didn't do too much with this one. I purposely left off any effects or mastering that I would normally do so that people could eveluate the sounds in context but w/o anything on each individual instrument. And I used patterns that came with each instrument w/o any alterations except key. BTW, I did a version with mastering sweetening and it did sound pretty good!

Mike
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: SI Demo 2007/07/02 08:40:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nick P

ORIGINAL: Mod Bod

This industry has existed in theory since MIDI sequencing and the data it produces could be stored and thus transmitted via floppy disk (mid 1980s). Keyfax, as well as many others, have been producing MIDI files for years.

I know about midi arrangements for sale. I'm talking about groove collections along the lines of Smartloops and Groovemonkee drum grooves except for keyboard.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1