Best place for additional percussion & drum options

Author
gewaarwordings
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2007/07/04 19:56:13 (permalink)

Best place for additional percussion & drum options

Hi,

I'm working on my first project where I want to try incorporating some percussion or loop layers - so far have just been working with voice & guitar.

I've worked through the loops available through the samples but none of them quite work. I'm looking for a drumbeat that would have a waltz rhythm, with a soft, swooshie sound.

Looked at the products on cakewalk but I can't see how I'll know that I'm buying the right thing.

The music pack says you can go to sampleport.com and get 10 free loops there, but I'm not sure how I must register for that. I went to sampleport.com and didn't see anything that jumped out at me. Not sure if they maybe want you to do that from within the program, but the machine where I have music pack installed is not connected to the Internet. Did it that way because I read that's better for performance, and I already have virus protection etc. on this, other machine, so that's how I work.

So .... the question is:

1. If sampleport has the kind of loops I'm looking for (think more subdued, gentle, 50-s style waltz loops) - how must I register there?

2. Can you point me to any other good resources? I don't mind paying as long as I know upfront that what I'm getting, is what I need.

Thanks!
Rozanne

5 Replies Related Threads

montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: Best place for additional percussion & drum options 2007/07/05 03:47:22 (permalink)
    The ones people talk about here are Ezdrummer, Addictive Drums, BFD, Drums on Demand, Groove Agent and Battery I suppose. But I get the impression they aren't exactly geared toward the nuances of 50's waltz. I suppose the kids of today just aren't pumped by 50's waltz and the people who were are too old to be programing loops. That's too bad, coz I would love something as dedicated to waltz and 50's style drumming as the packages above are to rock.

I'd do a search on this forum for threads about drums/ synth drums/ loops because I'm sure I've read people talking about ballad loops and country loops. Some of the programs I mentioned aren'tall straight out rock...they do have some more subdued looping options. But I can't really suggest anything specific.
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Best place for additional percussion & drum options 2007/07/05 07:03:16 (permalink)
    Waltz is a bit underrated, true. But essentially it's just 3/4 stuff with twists:

http://www.studydrums.com/waltz01.html

just like Blues, Klezmer and Chinese music are essentially covered if you know your pentatonic minor chords. You don't really *need* a separate product for each, either.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Frank Basile
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 466
    RE: Best place for additional percussion & drum options 2007/07/10 09:50:02 (permalink)
    Hi,

Start by downloading a bunch of free loops here... http://www.smartloops.com/Free/

Then checkout the Percussion Kit loop collection here... http://www.smartloops.com/products/percussionkit/

gewaarwordings
    RE: Best place for additional percussion & drum options 2007/08/05 15:12:56 (permalink)
    Hmmm maybe I was making this too difficult. When I run through the different rhythms on my Casio keyboard, there's a section called "Ballads" that has something called, for example, 16 beat bld 2 Ballad. Are there libraries of beats like that maybe? The one on the keyboard is almost what I want, but I don't know that I can get that into Cakewalk as a loop, so I want to find a loop that sounds similar.

See, I just do acoustic singer/songwriter stuff, and I want to add some rhythms in the background. A friend of mine has Garageband and put together something cool in a weekend. I've been fiddling for weeks and am still nowhere. So I think I must just be looking in the wrong places, because it's probably not that hard!
    gewaarwordings
    RE: Best place for additional percussion & drum options 2007/08/05 15:18:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Frank Basile

Hi,

Start by downloading a bunch of free loops here... http://www.smartloops.com/Free/

Then checkout the Percussion Kit loop collection here... http://www.smartloops.com/products/percussionkit/

Thanks so much Frank, I didn't see this. I'm just downloading them now to check it out. Between the ACID, Rex and Apple formats, I'm guessing that ACID is the right format? Well, I'll find out in a few minutes :-)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1