Jammer?

Author
mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
2007/07/13 11:14:05 (permalink)

Jammer?

I'm curious to hear some opinions on software such as Jammer. It presents something of a dilemma. While I'm opposed to such a device philosophically, I also can't deny that the software does a better job of playing bass, drums and keyboards than I can manage. So, while I may be inclined against it, it's difficult to ignore a useful composing tool that not only can save me considerable time, but also do the instruments better than I can. Let's hear it.
Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter

7 Replies Related Threads

musicroom
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2421
    RE: Jammer? 2007/07/13 12:25:18 (permalink)
    I once owned the band in a box software. It was okay at the time but I really never felt there was a lot of usfulness for my style of music. I also have a slight problem turing to an accompanment software - but I load drum loops all the time to build a song - so I have to watch my glass house.

Did you download and try the demo?

Dave
    Songs

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Jammer? 2007/07/13 12:41:17 (permalink)
    the result is the important thing in my opinion. the only thing i would worry about is that the jammer/band-in-a-box stuff might sound too clinical, or might be too hard to get to do what i want. i prefer the control of manual editing.

- jack the ex-cynic
    jcleaver
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Jammer? 2007/07/13 13:44:35 (permalink)
    I will admit I use it. I use it as a beginning framework. Then I put a lot of work into it. By the time I'm done, I don't think it would be recognized as a Jammer piece.

Actually, in a way, it isn't anymore. I usually replace each resultant track one at a time with my own playing. Every once in a while, I will keep a portion of what was produced.

And, it can be fun.

John
    DaveClark
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 956
    RE: Jammer? 2007/07/13 15:58:41 (permalink)
    We recently discussed some of topics related to Jammer and BIAB at:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1061326

Regards,
    Dave Clark

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Jammer? 2007/07/13 22:26:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for the response, fellas.

musicroom - No I haven't ttried the demo, although i might just t osee what it's like. Actually, a friend of mine did bass, drums and organ for my recent posting of Seventh Son. I thought they sounded pretty good, assumed he had generated it in MIDI, something like the Piano Roll. He confessed: it was Jammer. I had already done drums and bass for the tune, but scrapped them as the Jammer version was better ( although it was the first bass track I've done that I actually liked).

Dave - Thanks for the link. I have fun doing drums and bass, but I'm not all that good at it. Plus, with time restrictions that accompany being a family man, it can save me a lot of labor to use Jammer or BIAB. On the other hand, if I rely upon the software, I'll never get better at doing it myself. What a dilemma!
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Alan70
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Jammer? 2007/07/14 07:52:53 (permalink)
    One of the main drawbacks of BIAB and Jammer is that they can not be used as plugins within my sequencer (SONAR/Cubase). Does anyone know of a way to use them as plugins?

Personally, I use Virtual Band (www.midi-plugins.de) as my arrangement tool. There is a similar plugin at http://www.1manband.nl - but it can not be used in realtime. The major advantage of these two is that they can load Yamaha styles.

--
    Alan

DaveClark
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 956
    RE: Jammer? 2007/07/14 14:48:49 (permalink)
    Hi Alan70,

Mudgel discussed the use of MIDI YOKE to accomplish something like what you are talking about between Jammer and SONAR. It should be possible --- although I have not looked at it personally --- to do something like this with BIAB. mudgel's post on this is #17 in the link I provided above. Basically the idea is to connect MIDI Out from Jammer to MIDI In of SONAR for whatever track(s) you have in mind, even though these programs lack this capability out-of-the-box.

Personally I would like to see a improvement of MIDI capabilities in BIAB. It's long past due.

Regards,
    Dave Clark

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1