Waves SSL Vs. Rennaissance Compressor

Author
Dizzi45Z
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1040
2007/07/21 03:09:03 (permalink)

Waves SSL Vs. Rennaissance Compressor

Okay, so I just spent this last week mixing with some of Waves SSL Plugs using their 7 day demonstration period. The main reason that I was trying out these plugs was to see if I could see what the hype was about the "SSL sound." I'll be first to admit that I have never worked on an SSL console, so I am just not familiar with the SSL sound. I usually use the Renaissance Compressor on the Master Bus, but I was especially excited to be able to use the SSL Stereo Compressor. You know, I just don't see it. I A/B'd between the Renaissance Compressor and the SSL Master Bus Compressor with the same settings and I could not hear much (if any) difference. Both made the mix glue well together for me, and both made the mix sound more full and exciting. Next, I tried the SSL Channel Strip on a few tracks. I usually use the Renaissance plugs on the tracks including the EQ's and Compressors. I also like to switch to the Renn Axe here and their for guitars. Again, I just couldn't hear much of a difference between the Renaissance stuff and the SSL Stuff. I was hoping to find something that would get me excited about getting the plugs, but I never found it.

I guess I just feel like I am missing something here. Can anybody help clarify what the difference should sound like? I heard a huge difference with my mixes when I switched to Wave plug-ins platinum bundle, especially using the Renaissance Plugs. But I am just not getting what is so special about the SSL Plugs. If I was to do a mix, one with the Renaissance Compressor and one with the SSL Compressor, do any of you think you could really tell which mix used which? What would you listen for? I just wonder sometimes if it is more of a psychological thing for most people.

-Dave
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Sonar 8.5 , Melodyne Plug-in, Pro Tools 8 HD2,  Waves Platinum Bundle
Tascam DM-3200 with IF-FW/DM mkII
AMD 64 X2 4400
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.6 11GB Ram

13 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Waves SSL Vs. Rennaissance Compressor 2007/07/21 03:18:32 (permalink)
    dizz, i have both of those. If you did a blind test, i would not be able to tell the difference.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Dizzi45Z
    RE: Waves SSL Vs. Rennaissance Compressor 2007/07/21 03:28:42 (permalink)
    dizz, i have both of those. If you did a blind test, i would not be able to tell the difference.
    Cj

I appreciate your honesty. It makes me feel somewhat good to know that it isn't just me that doesn't hear much of a difference. Posting this thread is actually real humbling for me because I feel like I should be able to hear a difference and I just don't. It makes me wonder if the Renaissance Compressor was originally designed to sound like an SSL compressor to some degree.

One thing that I did learn while using these plug-ins is why Charles Dye mixes the way he does. I transferred all of his setting to Sonar. I find that the settings he uses with the Renaissance Plugs (which I use as a starting point) reflect the choices one would make with SSL Controls. It gave me a little bit of an a-ha moment when I realized this.

-Dave
    AMD 64 X2 4400

Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Waves SSL Vs. Rennaissance Compressor 2007/07/21 03:39:21 (permalink)
    You have to watch the signal going into the SSL more so than the R. At least to me, I notice a difference when the signal going in is hotter, the hotter the signal, the bigger the difference. While the RComp will take the hotter signal, without too much trouble, I have found that a hot signal into the SSL will cause it to squash the sound - bad. The hotter it is, the more squashed it becomes. Either way, I know you shouldn't feed a compresser a signal that is so hot, that it gives a squashed output, but that's the difference I noticed right away.
    Dizzi45Z
    RE: Waves SSL Vs. Rennaissance Compressor 2007/07/21 03:46:51 (permalink)
    Ognis,

You are exactly right on this. I read your one of your posts last week where you said that you felt that the SSL Bundle just squashed everything. I was feeling the same way at first until I also realized that the input signal needed to be adjusted so that the max compression I ever wanted on the master bus from the SSL compressor was about 4 db's of compression on the loudest parts of the song. Even then it was too much for my taste at times. Which actually makes me like the Renaissance Compressor a little better in that regard.

-Dave
    AMD 64 X2 4400

BlueSwan
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 343
    RE: Waves SSL Vs. Rennaissance Compressor 2007/07/21 06:51:23 (permalink)
    This is why I never A/B test.

Honestly I feel that a lot of the debate on plugins is influenced by psychological factors. I myself am prone to this. For instance, for some reason the Waves RenComp just doesn't "feel" right for me, even though it receives tons of praise. On the other hand, there's something about the Sonalksis 315 comp that really appeals to me. Maybe it's the GUI, maybe it's the sound. I'm not really sure I know.

Listen to my music (electronic pop) here: http://www.bandbase.com/blueswan
    alxi
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 230
    RE: Waves SSL Vs. Rennaissance Compressor 2007/07/21 10:13:54 (permalink)
    Hi Dizzi,
    I too have tried both, the SSL and the Rennaissance. I can see why Waves are behind those two product because i too find that they sound very alike. I am not a big fan of Renaissance EQ and Comp, and i am not a big fan of SSL EQ and Comp neither...exept on drums. Rcomp on a track by track basis and the SSL Gcomp on the Drum Buss. For me that's about as far as it goes for those two product. Like blueswan said if hadn't a/b with other stuff i would probably like them cause they do a god job, it's just that some other products ( to my ears ) are doing a better one.

Peace

-Alxi-
    post edited by alxi - 2007/07/21 10:20:48
    Dizzi45Z
    RE: Waves SSL Vs. Rennaissance Compressor 2007/07/21 20:48:50 (permalink)
    it's just that some other products ( to my ears ) are doing a better one.

What plug do you like on your Master bus?

I am surprised more people aren't chiming in and saying that they find the SSL plugs a huge enhancement over the Renaissance Plugs. I personally love the Renaissance Compressor on everything including the master bus, but I haven't really tried that many other compressors on the Master Bus to say it is really that much better than other plugs on the Master bus.

-Dave
    AMD 64 X2 4400

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Waves SSL Vs. Rennaissance Compressor 2007/07/21 21:10:51 (permalink)
    Ive been messing with the elemental audio plug on my master bus, the Neodynium (compressors) and the finis limiters. There Awsome.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    alxi
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 230
    RE: Waves SSL Vs. Rennaissance Compressor 2007/07/22 01:46:24 (permalink)
    Hi Dizzi,
    I'm using a Nomad Factory LM-662 http://www.nomadfactory.com/products/analog_signature/lm662.html ( From the analogue signature bundle ) wich emulates a Fairchild 670. To me SSL are giving a bit more of a tight cold sound if i can put it that way and the LM-662 gives me a more bubbly kind of sound if i may say so. It's a bit rounder,warmer, fatter and there's a tube emulation included that you can drive to taste ( man do i sound like a sales rep right now or what, lol ) That and the opto SC-226 ( from the same bundle ) have been my go to comps for the last few projects ( exept on drums )

Oh and i almost forgot the most important, the lm-662 has a separate lef/right comp. It delicious on stereo image

Paix!

-Alxi-
    post edited by alxi - 2007/07/22 13:48:15
    jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: Waves SSL Vs. Rennaissance Compressor 2007/07/22 11:52:02 (permalink)
    Yes, it can be difficult to tell the differences in compressors. Both RComp and Waves SSL are master bus worthy compressors. Another thing that good master buss compressors have in common is that they sound best when they're barely working (1-3 dB max).

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    studio24
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Waves SSL Vs. Rennaissance Compressor 2007/07/22 12:36:52 (permalink)
    I have a totally different experience with the compressors being discussed here...

Even within the settings of the RComp (Optical, ARC, etc). the character of the compressor
    changes dramatically, particularly on the attack response.

There are also two compressors in the SSL4000 plugs .. the one on the channel plug and the
    buss compressor. Each are unique. They two compressors are what they are .. you don't
    get an opportunity to adjust knees or bites or anything ... because they do exactly what
    the original hardware did.

The differences in character of these compressors are probably best noticed on individual
    track ... like a snare drum, bass guitar, vox, etc. rather than across a buss. the complexities
    of multiple transient points on a buss may not be as discernable to you. But, I would bet
    you'll be able to hear the differences in the constituents of a mix
    DonaldDuck
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: Waves SSL Vs. Rennaissance Compressor 2007/07/22 14:29:37 (permalink)
    Renaissance is what i use almost all of the time on tracks and the master bus, and I have both the Renaissance and SSL packages.

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Waves SSL Vs. Rennaissance Compressor 2007/07/22 14:40:14 (permalink)
    I say get a highly flexible compressor (like the Kjaerhus GCO-1) and it can provide all those variations in one plug. I'd rather have one compressor that exposes all the bells and whistles for me to tweak, so that I can tune it just so for a given situation) than to have to worry about ten different special purpose ones that only expose basic parameters.
    post edited by droddey - 2007/07/22 14:46:46

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1