Lifespan (In loving memory of Sydney)

Author
zeypxun
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 918
2007/07/22 12:46:07 (permalink)

Lifespan (In loving memory of Sydney)

Yes I have never done any thing like this before, and it's not much. I hope someone can help point me in the direction of something that has really realistic sounding orchestral strings, or any thing orchestral for that matter. I used the regular midi synth string ensemble and it gets the idea across but it sounds lame. I also wish I had a big gong sound! I know the acoustic sounds really bad, I am working on getting an electric acoustic. And I will add vocals later. As of right now my internet is going really slow and Myspace is the only place I could upload to. (???) So go there to listen! Thanks!

Update: I found a new site that I really like so far called reverbnation.com ! I uploaded my songs there including this one. I like this site because it has Widgets for the flash player that I can embed in myspace or anywhere else that I can add html.

listen to Lifespan at ReverbNation (160kbps) or Myspace (rehashed re-re-encoded 128kbps)
post edited by zeypxun - 2007/11/21 04:47:25

www.reverbnation.com/zeypxuntomlittle

Look me up on myspace!
www.myspace.com/zeypxun

I'm so happy Faith No More is BACK!

23 Replies Related Threads

opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/22 13:00:30 (permalink)
    The acoustic doesn't sound bad at all, it sounds nice and be warned, electro-acoustics sound electric and to get a decent sound you need to mic up aswell as the DI.
    This sounds great and isn't struggling because of the strings (it's how you mix them in). I guess you can get better string sounds but it's going to leave you with a leaner wallet and this tracks coming across really well as is. Really excellent stuff as usual, sounds great...bloody quiet though.
    Can't advise you on which sounds to buy, i gave up on trying to get hold of realistic sounding orchestral instruments ages ago.
    Looking forward to hearing this finished.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/22 13:18:30 (permalink)
    I don't think the acoustic sounds bad at all. This is very pretty piece, the changes are well arranged and you you have bags of scope here for additional melodies.

Not often we hear you in such a mellow mood Zeyphun! Sounds very chilled and peaceful, and the transitions to and from the more strident section were well executed.

Nice one, I liked that a lot.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    gnie
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/22 13:20:46 (permalink)
    I really like the opening, but once the piano joins in the aural context changes. My first impression is that it's due to the sounds. Same with the strings and percussion. The guitar sounds so nice, but its particular timbre doesn't seem to be fully complimented by the other instruments.
    Things felt a little out of step prior to the three minute mark, and I'd have to listen again to see if I liked that.
    Maybe re-orchestrating the piano part into more discrete bits, or just trying different sounds would work.
    I just liked the atmosphere you started with so much that I wish you'd stay on that plane.
    zeypxun
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/22 13:54:19 (permalink)
    Well the first two posts agreed to disagree with me about the acoustic! But thats a pleasant surprise.

Thanks Nick, I'm glad you liked it. I've had several electric acoustics before and I know that I would much rather try EQing one of them than what I am doing now, my room just has really bad acoustics. I know I can get 10 times the sound and more clarity out of a decent one. That sucks about the strings!!! Oh well, maybe a good sounding orchestral percussion section with a gong is easier to find? And yes it is quieter than usual for me, I didn't use the master limiter on this that much, it took away way too much of the dynamics that I desired & liked when I was mixing and recording it, and I wanted to keep that. I will work on the volume a little though when I add some vocals and finish it.

James, thanks! I know a lot of my stuff is a bit more aggressive, and I admit I am more comfortable doing that because that's what I grew up playing, but I really love all kinds of music. I even tried not putting in the distorted electric in here but I couldn't resist , though I think that's what I like the most in music, hearing several different styles come together with smooth cohesion in a song. I should of asked what genre this would be considered, but I think most of my songs fall under "what genre is this?" This was fun to do, and I learned a lot already with this one song. I know I definitely need to get a damn midi keyboard so I don't have to keep drawing in all these notes! Especially for the piano stuff. And yes I had so many melodies running through my head I have to take time to go through them all and put them together so I'm saving them for the vocals.

Look me up on myspace!
    www.myspace.com/zeypxun

zeypxun
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/22 14:21:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback gnie. I thought the same thing about the piano part and thought it was different but when I started listening it grew on me so I left it in. It changes the feel a bit and I liked them together. I agree with the sound of the guitar not quite right for everything, but there's certain frequencies I need to cut down a lot or else it just sounds like it's resonating at the earths frequencies! As to the "out of step", are you sure it's not just the syncopated drum hits?

Look me up on myspace!
    www.myspace.com/zeypxun

opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/22 15:36:33 (permalink)
    Zeyp, don't get me wrong, i think it's possible to buy some really good string sounds these days but they tend to be costly and use up huge amounts of disc space, it just comes down to whether you can justify those two types of cost weighed against the amount of use you'll get out of them.
    My biggest gripe with them is... however huge the sample set is they rarely give you exactly what you're after for your piece Expression/nuance wise. The only time i've had success with them is when i've written the piece around the way they were played when sampled...i am kind of fussy though.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/22 16:20:05 (permalink)
    The initial acoustic guitar is bright...the second tone is a bit middle. The third tone sounds good, and cuts through the other instrumentation at times...when it does it lends the music a gutteral quality. I think it should cut through more.

What did you use for drums?

The synth instruments don't sound too bad to my ears, but I don't have too much descrepancy when it comes to that. I guess you can hear the synthetic nature for want of a better word.

Anyway, it's a big song, finishing on the bright tone. Very interesting.I don't really know how to describe it.
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/22 16:21:21 (permalink)
    Hey Zey,

I liked this. Let me just say that it's NEVER a bad thing to branch out musically. I'm not much of a synth player either, but it opens a world of sounds and ideas. Nice to know that you have a "mellower" side. LOL

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    gnie
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/22 16:51:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: zeypxun

Thanks for the feedback gnie. I thought the same thing about the piano part and thought it was different but when I started listening it grew on me so I left it in. It changes the feel a bit and I liked them together. I agree with the sound of the guitar not quite right for everything, but there's certain frequencies I need to cut down a lot or else it just sounds like it's resonating at the earths frequencies! As to the "out of step", are you sure it's not just the syncopated drum hits?

I actually meant having the song play to the aesthetic of the acoustic guitar's sound. Something like making the strings colder, the piano warmer and more distant, the drums less harsh sounding.
    After listening a second time I like how the drums cross step into the next section around 3:00.
    It's a really nice tune.
    zeypxun
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/22 16:54:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: opaque slogan

Zeyp, don't get me wrong, i think it's possible to buy some really good string sounds these days but they tend to be costly and use up huge amounts of disc space, it just comes down to whether you can justify those two types of cost weighed against the amount of use you'll get out of them.
    My biggest gripe with them is... however huge the sample set is they rarely give you exactly what you're after for your piece Expression/nuance wise. The only time i've had success with them is when i've written the piece around the way they were played when sampled...i am kind of fussy though.

Yeah, I was hoping for something not expensive that would sound better and not have the frequent oscillations so it doesn't sound so looped. I think it's good to be fussy about certain things though, and I believe this would be one of them. If you were fussing over whether to drive a Ferrari or a Koenigsegg for the day on the other hand, that would be a bit much.

Look me up on myspace!
    www.myspace.com/zeypxun

zeypxun
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/22 17:33:36 (permalink)
    montezuma, you're very correct. It mostly had to do with how close and what angle to the mic I was, because I did those 3 basic parts at 3 different times, I never sat in the same exact position or angle. Mostly I guess the mic is real finicky. Also when I played lower it sounded better on this mic, I have some really old strings on here. I liked the 3rd sound the best too. It also was mono after everything kicked in, so I think that helped it seem to cut through. The drums were a combination of EZD DFH and FL 5 stuff.

lhansen, thanks for the listen. I think it is not bad to expand on ones own musical horizons as long as you realize what you can and can't do. That doesn't mean you can't get better, but sometimes I hear people on these unsigned band sites (and even some signed, popular artists) who obviously aren't looking honestly at what they are doing. I think that not everyone has musical capabilities, though there are a lot of people in this forum who do. Just look at American Idol! I think it would definitely not be a good fit for me to try and branch into a boy band! That being said, it is definitely a good thing to challenge yourself and try to strengthen your weaknesses.

gnie, sorry, I wasn't sure which way you meant that, but I think I could have concentrated on making the piano and strings sound familiar to me too much, and didn't quite fix it when compared to the guitar. Since it's my first try with strings and piano, I'm sure it will take me a while before I get that down. I couldn't even figure out how to add reverb or an EQ to the synth strings without recording the midi using "what you hear"!! But the drums are definitely a preference for me, I like to hear the drums and I like the way this drum kit sounds from DFH. There are parts however where I wish I had some orchestral percussion.

Look me up on myspace!
    www.myspace.com/zeypxun

marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/22 18:48:15 (permalink)
    That was some good music. I think all the sounds are good. I know there is alot of people that will tell you that the only way to get good sound on an acoustic is to mike it. Since I started using a L.A. Baggs pickup in my acoustic I have quit micing all together. I only go direct now and my acoustic sound had never been better. I'll never mic again FWIW.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/22 22:46:13 (permalink)
    Zey, I really enjoyed this new piece of yours! I really did. Very smooth, very gentle, very inspiring. Closing my eyes, first thing that came to my mind was - philosophy. Ancient thinking; thinking our fore-fathers have done for us. This song has no angst in it, but it does remind us - remind us to things we might have forgotten already. Things we should pick up again we've long lost.
    Oh well - here I go ....
    Anyways, great tune - I loved every single second in it. To answer one of your questions: I own Garritan Personal Orchestra and can full-heartedly recommend it to someone who wants to get involved in serious orchestration. It's highly realistic, but it comes with quite a steep learning curve, plus (as Nick mentioned) a rather high price; but it's worth it, imo.
    Heinz.

ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/23 01:07:52 (permalink)
    zeypxun,

Nice work on this, well composed, good motion, lots of feeling. Acoustic sounded fine to me. Good work.

Bill
    zeypxun
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/23 12:13:16 (permalink)
    Thanks marcos69, I definitely prefer a good acoustic pickup to a mic, I think it sounds better. I would not record with a mic either if I had a choice! I gotta check out that pickup, thanks!

airmeki I'm glad you got that much out of it! It is really similiar to what I felt while writing it, which is why I called it Lifespan. I thought about things I used to try and intensively hold on to, where I have failed, what I have experienced, learned and accomplished in my life.... well now here I go! Thanks for the recommendation also, I will have to check that out.

ToneCarver thanks for the kind words, I'm glad that it seems that for the most part the acoustic just got the point across.

Look me up on myspace!
    www.myspace.com/zeypxun

DuRod
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1082
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/23 13:00:12 (permalink)
    Acoustic sounded OK to me, as did everything else. The song really plays out our "Lifespan" from a mellow beginning, then to the crescendo of mid-life, and then back down to the mellow end. Really cool how you captured this in the song. I'm just trying to figure out where my life is in relation to this song......I'd like to think I haven't reached the crescendo yet!!! Nice job.

DuRod
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/23 19:37:42 (permalink)
    zeypxun,
    Nice playing, programming (drums and synths I assume) and mixing. A nice addition to your lineup.

+1 to heinz for his take on the mood. Wouldn't have thought of that myself but it fits once mentioned.
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/23 20:33:10 (permalink)
    Hmm... this is the third time this week someone has left a song that was embedded as a Windows plugin that crashed my browser. I'm just using IE 6.0. Anybody else having this problem with the same browser?

PS, I realize MySpace uses Flash for their music player, but in this case the little logo came up for the Windows embedded plugin on the upper left side of my screen and the browser crashed immediately thereafter. I wonder what that plugin was about? I didn't know you could use them at MySpace.
    zeypxun
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/23 22:21:11 (permalink)
    Thanks DuRod, I'd like to think that too, but who knows? Glad you liked it.

CreatingNoise that was the intended feel of the song, but there's always more than one interpretation. Thanks for the listen.

Joe Bravo, sorry about that, the windows plug in is actually a video I embedded on myspace, not the songs though. You can embed anything you want into myspace, you just need to know html or css scripts, or one of those sites that can generate them for you. I uploaded the song on www.reverbnation.com/zeypxuntomlittle so if you want to try again it is there and hopefully it won't crash your browser. The reason your browser is crashing could be because either your windows media player is malfunctioning for some reason or IE6 may have become out of whack, but it is hard to say.

Look me up on myspace!
    www.myspace.com/zeypxun

Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/24 00:51:18 (permalink)
    I will agree with the others that the accoustic sound that you have recorded sounds just fine.
    I sorry but I do not have enough experience to comment about the rest.

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
    http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
    http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/24 16:50:06 (permalink)
    Tom, I really liked it. It started out so quiet I had to turn up my sound just to make sure it was there............until 2:40 or so. I thought the acoustic sound was fine in context. I couldn't help but feel you forgot to record the vocals, though, listening for lyrics that just naturally seemed they should be there. An interesting departure that worked out well.

about the strings:I'm having the same problem, but but with brass. It's too expensive to truly emulate them, especially as I don't compose MIDI much.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    zeypxun
    RE: Lifespan 2007/07/25 20:13:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the comment Thatsastrat and for the listen.

mcourter I'm glad you liked it, and I did say I will add vocals later, I just didn't want to throw in a generic melody yet. So far I don't like midi that much, but it's fun to mess with every once in a while since I have it. I didn't even want to touch the brass section yet, I'm sure that real hard to get a realistic sound. thanks for the comment.

Look me up on myspace!
    www.myspace.com/zeypxun

zeypxun
    RE: Lifespan 2007/11/21 04:34:16 (permalink)
    I didn't think when I wrote this song in July that 4 months later I would be dedicating it to one of my best friends. Sydney Diller was killed Nov. 18th 2007 in a car wreck and she was only 26. I know this isn't that much but it's my wish that whenever anyone, especially my friends, hears this song that they think of her. I'm not trying to bring you guys down but I felt like I could share this with you guys in her honor. She was a beautiful person inside and out. I took her for granted and this is a horrible lesson to learn the hard way. Maybe in some way this will help others to remember how special your true friends are.

I took this pic and it's one of my favorites. I love you and miss you Syd. I will see you again.

Look me up on myspace!
    www.myspace.com/zeypxun

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1