Blue Cat's Dynamics testing

Author
ByronSanto
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 247
2007/07/23 16:03:40 (permalink)

Blue Cat's Dynamics testing

Has anyone tried the Blue Cat's Dynamic compressor plug-in yet?

I started testing it a few days ago on a few rough mixdowns that I had and first impression was it's OK, just another good compressor but then I started digging deeper into the parameters and discovered a really powerful & versatile compressor. I then tried it on a female lead vocal track and after a few min's of parameter tweaking was blown away by what I heard. I then tried to duplicate the sound on other compressor plug-ins but didn't have much luck.

In the next few days I'm planning on testing the Blue Cat's Dynamic plug-in on other sources but for now I think I may have found my "Go To" compressor for vocals.

13 Replies Related Threads

JSkeen
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 612
    RE: Blue Cat's Dynamics testing 2007/07/23 17:27:59 (permalink)
    blue cat makes some good stuff IMO, I have never tried the Dynamics plug though...just thought "there is another compressor" I will give it a try though...thanks for the post :)
    alxi
    • Total Posts : 230
    RE: Blue Cat's Dynamics testing 2007/07/23 17:47:33 (permalink)
    Yup ! Thanks for the Post. I'm gonna try them tonight.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Blue Cat's Dynamics testing 2007/07/23 18:00:48 (permalink)
    The market is overflowing with compressors, most of us have several already, so it'd have to be something special to justify spending even a hundred bucks on yet another compressor.

But this one does sound interesting. How about posting more of your observations? Maybe even a before/after sample, or a screenshot or two (if you feel like it)? The vendor's site does not include any screenshots that I could see. How's the UI?

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    ByronSanto
    RE: Blue Cat's Dynamics testing 2007/07/23 18:09:55 (permalink)
    IMO, what makes it so powerful & versatile is the VCA-Opto & Peak-RMS modes. For example, you could select VCA or Opto or kinda morph the two together and the same applies to the Peak-RMS mode.

Plus it offers Downward Compression, Upward Compression, Downward Expansion and Upward Expansion options which is really cool!
    bluecat
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Blue Cat's Dynamics testing 2007/07/23 18:44:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bitflipper
    But this one does sound interesting. How about posting more of your observations? Maybe even a before/after sample, or a screenshot or two (if you feel like it)? The vendor's site does not include any screenshots that I could see. How's the UI?

Hello, just jumping in... Yes you can see screenshots on the Blue Cat's Dynamics page (see the screenshots section). It supports skins and there are several ones included. Here is the "modeler" skin which offer all controls on the same screen:

post edited by bluecat - 2007/07/23 18:51:02
    ByronSanto
    RE: Blue Cat's Dynamics parameters 2007/07/23 19:00:06 (permalink)
    A few more parameter notes

The Upper Curve is used to apply Downward Compression or Upward Expansion to audio that goes "above" the selected threshold.
    NOTE: Downward Compression (Standard compression) decreases the audio level. Upward Expansion increases the audio level

The Lower Curve is used to apply Upward Compression or Downward Expansion to audio that goes "below" the selected threshold.
    NOTE: Downward Expansion (Gating) decreases the audio level and Upward Compression increases the audio level.

Ratio values: values to the right increase levels and values to the left decrease levels

alxi
    RE: Blue Cat's Dynamics parameters 2007/07/24 11:47:04 (permalink)
    Hi Guys !

I've tested the Blue Cats Dynamics a bit yesterday...and i was really impressed with the sound.

I've tested it on a Wurly strereo track played with Lounge lizard in opto mode. It sounded more open then my other compressors ( LM-622, Sonalksis, URS 1970, Kjearhaus opto VC-64) tough it sounded really similar to Sonalksis, with the Flip stereo button engaged it sounded a bit wider and a bit more open. It didn't lack caractere and it didn't sound colored either. It has actually a very pleasing sound, neutral but musical. If i were to use the other compressors, i think i would have found my self reaching for the eq to open it up a bit in the 2k to 4k region....but i didn't.

Then i tried it on the Drum Buss in VCA mode against the same compressors ( exept the Kearjhaus )....... WOW ! Now that was nice.
    I could get The Sonalksis to sound pretty much like the SSL G comp ( Wich is my usual drum Buss comp ) and the LM-622 did what it does best and it sounded much like a vintage comp do. The Blue Cats came in last With pretty much the same parameters then the others ( on The LM-622 it's not always obvious to dial in the same parameters ) And it sounded a lot like the others too, but then i placed the stereo mode to Max, played a bit with the side Chain detection ( like really just 10 secs, puting the low cut at 120 and the high cut at 4k ) and i got a kick ass drum sound. It sounded open with a lot of snap, more then the SSL and the Sonalksis, Not pumpy at all and a bit old school like on the hiphop records of the mid 90's ( Naughty By Nature) and that's something me like a lot, lol

Altought The sound was extremely pleasing... i had a few problems when switching presets skins while my song was playing ( from Defaul to compressor/limter ) and it made sonar crashed twice. I know it's not something that u may not usually do in a session, but i tried it anyway just to see. The other thing is that i really, but really don't like is the display of the ration button. Turn it right and u get a strange value like 0.22. I would love to see a good old 2:1 display but maybe that's just me.

I will do some more testing tonight with vocals and Bass and i'll get back to you guys probably tomorrow.

In the mean time i encouraged you to try them for your self as you may very be surprised of the results compare to your usual go-to comp.

Cheers

-Alxi-

ByronSanto
    RE: Blue Cat's Dynamics parameters 2007/07/24 11:58:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: alxi

The other thing is that i really, but really don't like is the display of the ration button. Turn it right and u get a strange value like 0.22. I would love to see a good old 2:1 display but maybe that's just me.

Cheers

-Alxi-

Same with me. I sent Blue Cat an email and they informed me that the Ratio value will be changed on the next version from Decimal to Ratio
    alxi
    RE: Blue Cat's Dynamics parameters 2007/07/24 12:18:34 (permalink)
    Thanks Byron, that's good news .

( Man , was my last post well writen or what ?.....NOT ! lol )
    ByronSanto
    RE: Blue Cat's Dynamics parameters 2007/07/24 12:56:40 (permalink)
    Last night I did a little more testing as well but I was trying to compare "Dynamic" to Elemental Audio System's "Neodynium". I was using a dist'd 7-string stereo guitar track.

I was using Downward Compression and Upward Compression. Had the VCA-Opto Mode set to about 37%

The "Hold" parameter used in conjuction with the standard "Attack" & "Release" really allowed me to shape the dist'd guitar track envelope.

I came real close with "Neodynium" in regards to the Downward Compression and Upward Compression but what gave Dynamic the edge IMO was the VCA-Opto Mode and "Hold" parameter.
    bluecat
    RE: Blue Cat's Dynamics parameters 2007/07/24 15:25:34 (permalink)
    Glad to see you guys like the efforts we put in our products.

ORIGINAL: alxi
    Altought The sound was extremely pleasing... i had a few problems when switching presets skins while my song was playing ( from Defaul to compressor/limter ) and it made sonar crashed twice. I know it's not something that u may not usually do in a session, but i tried it anyway just to see.

Are you using the VST version? There are known issues with the VST version and some versions of Sonar. It should be fixed in the next release(probably in september). We usually advise our cutomers to use DirectX plugins in Sonar anyway for many other reasons. I am suprised abou the crashes though. If you have a reproductible scenario we would be insterested in testing it.

The other thing is that i really, but really don't like is the display of the ration button. Turn it right and u get a strange value like 0.22. I would love to see a good old 2:1 display but maybe that's just me.

We are aware of that... As Byron said we will provide a standard display in the next version as well.
    alxi
    RE: Blue Cat's Dynamics parameters 2007/07/24 19:23:26 (permalink)
    Thanks BlueCat.

Yup i was using the VST Version. I also experienced an other problem, the sidechain listen got activated a few time while i was toggling the low pass filter ( of the side chain ). The light didn't go on but i could ear the difference. I tried The DXI version a few hours ago and it really seemed more stable and had none of the problems mention above, good thing ! I'll do so more testing tonight but i'm really happy with your product right now, i can wait to try the EQ.

Paix!

-Alxi-
    post edited by alxi - 2007/07/24 19:31:04

For ever learning
    bluecat
    RE: Blue Cat's Dynamics parameters 2007/07/25 02:32:59 (permalink)
    There are a few issues with VST & Sonar that seem to be solved with the latest version of Sonar and a few fixes of ours (released in september for Blue Cat's Dynamics). However the DirectX version will always be better regarding parameters automation, so that's what we prefer to use. (My personal setup includes Sonar 6 and all our DirectX plugins).

If you try the EQ, do not forget to try the side chain Dynamic EQ capability with Blue Cat's Dynamics. You can get some very good results.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1