something completely different (Crossing Over)

Author
clarkeo
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 625
2007/08/10 18:55:20 (permalink)

something completely different (Crossing Over)

This is one of my more "off the beaten path" pieces. Lots of synths, strings, harp, woodwinds, percussion. It has a Celtic vibe to it. Appreciate your comments.

Crossing Over

Clark

Sonar PE 8.5.2, Project 5 V2, Firepod

12 Replies Related Threads

theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    RE: something completely different (Crossing Over) 2007/08/10 19:14:36 (permalink)
    Clark, This was very soothing to myu mind and to my spirit as well. Very, very relaxing and very well done. The drums and keyboard were all right on and a nice use of sfx. Perfect piece for a film part. Nice work. John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    AsherLongley
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 683
    RE: something completely different (Crossing Over) 2007/08/10 21:41:40 (permalink)
    Clark, I had to replay the song at 0:19 second just to hear that synth hit again. It caught me off guard so much, it almost sounded out of place. After listening to it a couple times (being prepared) it seemed to fit. I recommend some adjustment to it though: reduced volume, reduced treble. Other than that, I like the effect.

The song really gets into a great "crossover" at 1;17. Very traveling and majestic, and still you have the groove beat in the background. Very nice marriage of two styles.

It has an urbanized "Last Samaria" feel to it. Great song. That synth drop is very effective at 2:57.

-Matt
    post edited by AsherLongley - 2007/08/11 12:15:37
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: something completely different (Crossing Over) 2007/08/11 03:47:01 (permalink)
    Completely new direction

Is very nice, liked that stab too - but agree on the treble. Film scores live is in the deep registers, and needs softer and much louder parts (with extra bassy effects to satisfy our emotional beast, and ladle it liberally).

One of the hardest things is to let go of the 'normal' tickety-tack drums. It's best to turn them off altogether IMO, and replace them with something very distinct for every section, one flowing into the other, with parts where you have no normal drums whatsoever. Break out the more exotic percussive instruments, even ones never intended for that purpose. As long as you don't use them from start to finish, anything goes - churchbells, glass bottles, buildings collapsing. They are key in getting the drama, together with the background strings I think they do most of the 'delivering' the emotional content.

Really like to see where you take this...

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    clarkeo
    RE: something completely different (Crossing Over) 2007/08/11 08:10:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: theguitarplayer

Clark, This was very soothing to myu mind and to my spirit as well. Very, very relaxing and very well done. The drums and keyboard were all right on and a nice use of sfx. Perfect piece for a film part. Nice work. John

Thanks John. Glad you liked it.

Clark

clarkeo
    RE: something completely different (Crossing Over) 2007/08/11 08:22:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AsherLongley

Clark, I had to replay the song at 0:19 second just to hear that synth hit again. It caught me off guard so much, it almost sounded out of place. After listening to it a couple times (being prepared) it seemed to fit. I recommend some adjustment to it though: reduced volume, reduced treble. Other thank that, I like the effect.

The song really gets into a great "crossover" at 1;17. Very traveling and majestic, and still you have the groove beat in the background. Very nice marriage of two styles.

It has an urbanized "Last Samaria" feel to it. Great song. That synth drop is very effect at 2:57.

-Matt

Hi Matt, yeah that 1st synth hit kind of takes you by surprise. I did notice that it sounds a little trebbley on the MP3. I'll have to work on that track eq. Thanks for the suggestion.

Clark

clarkeo
    RE: something completely different (Crossing Over) 2007/08/11 08:31:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

Completely new direction

Is very nice, liked that stab too - but agree on the treble. Film scores live is in the deep registers, and needs softer and much louder parts (with extra bassy effects to satisfy our emotional beast, and ladle it liberally).

One of the hardest things is to let go of the 'normal' tickety-tack drums. It's best to turn them off altogether IMO, and replace them with something very distinct for every section, one flowing into the other, with parts where you have no normal drums whatsoever. Break out the more exotic percussive instruments, even ones never intended for that purpose. As long as you don't use them from start to finish, anything goes - churchbells, glass bottles, buildings collapsing. They are key in getting the drama, together with the background strings I think they do most of the 'delivering' the emotional content.

Really like to see where you take this...

Thanks Rob. That is a good suggestion about the drums. I'll have to experiment with that and see where it leads. Could be fun. Thanks for the suggestions.

Clark

ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: something completely different (Crossing Over) 2007/08/11 09:51:49 (permalink)
    Clark,

Great work on this. I really lilke the syncopation of the percussion and the various melodic parts. The whole piece has a rich flow to it, full but lots of room and mixed well, an inviting piece. Nicely done.

Bill
    airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: something completely different (Crossing Over) 2007/08/11 23:03:29 (permalink)
    Clark - what a great piece of art you've got here! I loved it. That early synth caught me off guard as well. I didn't expect anything like that coming in with such a force ... Good idea, though. This piece is very versatile, and very creative, full of ideas and emotions. Great composition. As always, I admire your strings arrangement (I really have a lot to learn myself in this department ... )
    Very good job, Clark.
    Heinz.

Dazed
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: something completely different (Crossing Over) 2007/08/11 23:11:04 (permalink)
    Impressive. Love the strings in here as well as the full orchestra sound.

Your mix is very clean as well.
    clarkeo
    RE: something completely different (Crossing Over) 2007/08/12 09:10:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ToneCarver

Clark,

Great work on this. I really lilke the syncopation of the percussion and the various melodic parts. The whole piece has a rich flow to it, full but lots of room and mixed well, an inviting piece. Nicely done.

Bill

Thank you Bill.

ORIGINAL: airmeki

Clark - what a great piece of art you've got here! I loved it. That early synth caught me off guard as well. I didn't expect anything like that coming in with such a force ... Good idea, though. This piece is very versatile, and very creative, full of ideas and emotions. Great composition. As always, I admire your strings arrangement (I really have a lot to learn myself in this department ... )
    Very good job, Clark.
    Heinz

Thanks Heinz. The synth hit is phase sync type patch on PSYN II that I edited. I'm glad you liked the composition.

ORIGINAL: Dazed

Impressive. Love the strings in here as well as the full orchestra sound.

Your mix is very clean as well.

Thanks. The strings, harp, and woodwinds were done with GPO. The percussion sounds are from my Triton Studio.

Clark

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: something completely different (Crossing Over) 2007/08/12 09:33:04 (permalink)
    Very nice Clark, a pleasing forward motion to the piece, evoking images of travelling. I really like that harp sound, works beautifully here.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    clarkeo
    RE: something completely different (Crossing Over) 2007/08/12 12:53:58 (permalink)
    Thanks James.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1