OT: EMU Joins the "What Tech Support??" casualties

Author
Russell.Whaley
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2755
2007/08/10 21:25:39 (permalink)

OT: EMU Joins the "What Tech Support??" casualties

Yes, I am complaining...

I got my first bit of E-MU hardware in 2005, and really appreciated that when I called tech support, I could talk with knowledgeable humans in short order.

Had a problem this week and checked the emu.com website for the tech support phone number -- only to find that they are now ONLY taking tech support questions by EMAIL. I found the old tech support phone number in some literature, and call it, only to get one of those smarmy messages informing me that they're only supporting by email now, and to check the website for the email form.

OTOH, I needed to talk to Cakewalk Tech Support this week... a 20 minute wait on hold, and then I was talking to a calm, knowledgeable, and HELPFUL person, and was on my way in about 5 minutes of talking.

How nice.

Bakers, you're becoming a rare bird -- don't quit providing a human touch, it's going to increase your fortunes in a day and age when more and more companies seem to be actively avoiding their customers.

Cheers,

Russ

5 Replies Related Threads

BremenCole
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: OT: EMU Joins the "What Tech Support??" casualties 2007/08/10 22:35:58 (permalink)
    While I agree with you 100%, I am afraid that email only is the wave of the future. First, companies were able to avoid customers by using " overseas" workers.... now the latest tool is email. So they can sell useless hardware/software and keep cost low..... great future for the consumer isn't it? While I pine for the "old days" of caring professionals, it is becoming quickly a distant memory.

Just don't get X1 
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: OT: EMU Joins the "What Tech Support??" casualties 2007/08/14 18:12:55 (permalink)
    EMU:
    SLOW driver development
    Hidden (as in unadvertised) dongle requirements for plug ins (yeah... they forget to tell you that part)
    Tech Support Bureaucracy

Indeed. I used to like them as well, but I won't buy anything else from them.

Take care,
    - zevo
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: OT: EMU Joins the "What Tech Support??" casualties 2007/08/14 18:31:02 (permalink)
    Hey Russell,

Are you having a problem with one of E-mu's "legacy" hardware products? If so, I believe that they have outsourced all of their support to EPR Electronics. I had a problem with a synth module a year or so ago and they took good care of me.

http://www.eprelectronics.com/service.htm

ORIGINAL: inmazevo

EMU:

Hidden (as in unadvertised) dongle requirements for plug ins (yeah... they forget to tell you that part)

Yeah, I would've never purchased Proteus X2 had I known how sneaky they were about the whole MIDI dongle thing. They were a great company until Creative took over.
    post edited by cryophonik - 2007/08/14 18:42:50

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    RE: OT: EMU Joins the "What Tech Support??" casualties 2007/08/14 20:47:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: cryophonik
    Hey Russell,

Are you having a problem with one of E-mu's "legacy" hardware products? If so, I believe that they have outsourced all of their support to EPR Electronics. I had a problem with a synth module a year or so ago and they took good care of me.

http://www.eprelectronics.com/service.htm

Thanks very much! I will keep that address handy.

I guess this is a "legacy hardware" problem -- since EMU stopped making the 1820m this last year or so.

I've been trying to clean up some audio annoyances that surfaced after building a new system last month. I was hoping to have a detailed conversation about latencies, buffers, and the like with tech support at EMU, and perhaps not have to ditch my PCI video card. But, after many experiments and advice from the good folks on the forums here, I've concluded that the card is too far behind the motherboard, and I'll have to get a new PCI-E card.

Cheers,

Russ

Modulation
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 492
    RE: OT: EMU Joins the "What Tech Support??" casualties 2007/08/15 02:46:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Russell.Whaley

......Bakers, you're becoming a rare bird -- don't quit providing a human touch, it's going to increase your fortunes in a day and age when more and more companies seem to be actively avoiding their customers.

Cheers,

Russ

I have to agree with you there. I just spoke with someone at cakewalk (Giselle) today about downloading the P5 upgrade. So very nice to speak to humans. Especially when they treat you like you are important and try their best. It's becoming very rare indeed. Contrast that with a call to my internet company. It was a robot all the way. Press or say this and that. By the time I finally got to a human I couldn't understand them and they couldn't understand what I wanted.

Please don't ever be tempted to change Cakewalk!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1