Aux Sends - Example of !!!!

Author
Rodar6
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 891
2007/08/11 10:05:57 (permalink)

Aux Sends - Example of !!!!

Hey Cakewalkers !!!!

I think I'm getting the hang of producing a bit ! In the pic below I have created an effects chain !

Could someone take a look at it please and let me know if I'm going in the right direction !

All of the busses are linked and finally end up routed to the master, but I keep the two signals separate until the reverb !

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa184/rodneysaccess/Bus.jpg

Cheers

Rod
post edited by Rodar6 - 2007/08/11 10:07:12

"Expert in novice advice"  

Sonar PE 8.5.1 (pre -5,6,7,8) - Logic Pro Studio 9.1.6 - Windows 7 32bit - Mac OSX Snow Leopard - MacBook Pro 13" i7Core 2.7GHz Sandy Bridge, 8Gb Ram, Intel 520 SSD - Edirol UA-25 - Blue Woodpecker Ribbon - Rode NT5 Condenser - Shure SM57 --- Fender 52 AVRI Telecaster LH - Ovation Special Balladeer LH.     

8 Replies Related Threads

Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Aux Sends - Example of !!!! 2007/08/11 10:14:21 (permalink)
    It looks like you understand how to enable an aux bus but maybe not why you use an aux bus. I see terms like EQ bus and Comp vocal bus. Those are effects that would more likely be used in the FX bin or, in the case of an analog set up, a insert/return path.

You can use Aux busses for effects that will be common for several instrument tracks. IOW, a hall reverb that might be used for many tracks. In that case you would use the a Send to a Reverb bus instead of an track output to a bus.

The way you have each track routed to an Aux bus is more like how a Group bus set up. IOW all electric guitars would be routed to a common ELECTRIC GUITARS bus so that one fader can control the over all level of the group (Elect guitars) without affecting the balance of each individual guitar in relationship to each other.

A little more study and you'll have it.
    post edited by Mod Bod - 2007/08/11 10:18:31

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Rodar6
    RE: Aux Sends - Example of !!!! 2007/08/11 11:13:11 (permalink)
    Hey Dave,

Thanks for your reply, I'll continue to study a bit more, however I do like to access the original sound quickly so prefer to keep the original tracks free of any FX and instead give each FX its own Bus and use that FX bin.

I was also wondering is there any order inwhich you should line your FX up in . Eg EQ-Comp-Reverb etc and if I were to add a volume envelope in this chain where would I put it,(Start-Middle-End) or does this really matter.

Cheers

Rod

Sonar PE 8.5.1 (pre -5,6,7,8) - Logic Pro Studio 9.1.6 - Windows 7 32bit - Mac OSX Snow Leopard - MacBook Pro 13" i7Core 2.7GHz Sandy Bridge, 8Gb Ram, Intel 520 SSD - Edirol UA-25 - Blue Woodpecker Ribbon - Rode NT5 Condenser - Shure SM57 --- Fender 52 AVRI Telecaster LH - Ovation Special Balladeer LH.     
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Aux Sends - Example of !!!! 2007/08/11 12:30:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for your reply, I'll continue to study a bit more, however I do like to access the original sound quickly so prefer to keep the original tracks free of any FX and instead give each FX its own Bus and use that FX bin.
    You can bypass the entire FX bin in a couple of mouse clicks.

There is no right or wrong way to order your plugins. All that is required is that you take a moment and think about what you are trying to accomplish first. Then, when you know what the end result desired is, you set your plug ins up to accomplish that.
    post edited by Mod Bod - 2007/08/11 12:40:06

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Rodar6
    RE: Aux Sends - Example of !!!! 2007/08/11 14:33:15 (permalink)

You can bypass the entire FX bin in a couple of mouse clicks

Very true, but I'm gonna work on keeping the original takes free from all this stuff, probably because I've developed a taste for adding envelopes of all kinds as well as touching things up with FX, after an hour or so things start to look very messy.

Anyway I've had a good afternoon of recording here in Blighty, got a few tracks down of some acoustic songs, done some insulating around my mic's and I'm getting closer to the sound I want !

I think my biggest break through of the day was adding a bit of cotton wool to the ears ! Comical I know, but Wow, It just changes a singers reference and helps to add an extra bit of confidence !

Cheers for the replies !

Rod

CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Aux Sends - Example of !!!! 2007/08/11 19:37:21 (permalink)
    If you have a drum buss (or any other group), you dont need to route that to the master, you can route that to the main out and this will give your mix a better seperation if your drums or any other instruments are getting burried in the mix. Just a suggestion, i dont always do it that way, but sometimes ill try it and see how it sounds.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Rodar6
    RE: Aux Sends - Example of !!!! 2007/08/12 10:28:19 (permalink)
    Cheers CJ,

I've just learnt something new !

P.S. Does she have a Sister or any friends that live over here in the UK.

Rod

CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Aux Sends - Example of !!!! 2007/08/13 04:27:05 (permalink)
    2 sisters in the Phillipines and one in the British virgin Islands.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Blades
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3246
    RE: Aux Sends - Example of !!!! 2007/08/13 06:43:47 (permalink)
    you can route that to the main out and this will give your mix a better seperation if your drums or any other instruments are getting burried in the mix

But certainly this is just a volume-mix or unclouding kind of thing, not a summing issue at the bus. All things being equal, going through the master to the regular outs (assuming no other effects at master level, like a limiter or something), should sound exactly the same as going there directly. If it sounds that much different, it's likely that you have too much effect piled onto the master bus, especially at the mixing phase.

Just my $.02
    post edited by Blades - 2007/08/13 15:47:02

Blades
    www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1