Unhappily Ever After :----(((

Author
Toystein
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 171
2007/08/12 20:20:07 (permalink)

Unhappily Ever After :----(((

I just finished this song yesterday.

Been a while since I've posted anything, but I have a new batch of songs I'm going to put on the internet.

This song has some steel guitars in it, so it sort of has a country feel, hence the lyrics, I guess. originally I was calling it Happily Ever After, but after the lyrics came together I had to name it differently.

I used my cousins Neumann microphone on this song.. model was TL something or the other, pretty cool mic - I will borrow it again.. My AT 4033a might get jealous, but thats ok.. :-))

If you have the time or interest let me know what you think. All comments, suggestions, criticisms welcome.

Thanks
toy
http://www.soundclick.com/toystein

19 Replies Related Threads

Dale Aston
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1204
    RE: Unhappily Ever After :----((( 2007/08/12 20:51:37 (permalink)
    Neat tune. Very good vocals. Your voice is unique and I remember it from a while ago.

My only criticism is that the steel guitar sounds like loops and is over used throughout the song.

Good job.
    Toystein
    RE: Unhappily Ever After :----((( 2007/08/12 23:01:26 (permalink)
    dale

I post in this group from time to time, glad you remember me. :-)) When i wrote the song I planned on putting some keyboards on it, just because some parts are kind of sparse. For the life of me I just couldn't find the right sound, so i had an idea to put on a steel guitar, well... no samples, but i did have an old disk from a while back, which i used. I was surprised they blended so well, uhmm well... they did after i was done anyway. You can hear the pitch squeals, which I thought was pretty cool. Just wanted them for texture and filler, but there are some cool licks here and there from time to time.

you're good man!

thanks for the feedback
    theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    RE: Unhappily Ever After :----((( 2007/08/12 23:28:36 (permalink)
    Nice tune. Does Indie mean it was mastered by Indie? It has a real professional quality for sure. Wish I could get that quality out of my laptop. Very well balanced song. Thanks for sharing!

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    opensky
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 481
    RE: Unhappily Ever After :----((( 2007/08/13 01:11:10 (permalink)
    I loved the song and the production is first rate. When I heard it, I hadn't had the chance to read the other comments so I thought
    initially it was a sampled steel guitar. What do you mean about finding an old disc? Also, were you using Drums on Demand drum loops?

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/opensky
    www.soundclick.com/open

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy...I was made for another world." CS Lewis
    Toystein
    RE: Unhappily Ever After :----((( 2007/08/13 11:26:48 (permalink)
    guitar player,

I've been recording for a while, but i started with a soundblaster and a pc mic that plugged into the back of that. the recording process became easier for me after I bought some decent monitors. less guess work... Thanks for the listen

opensky,

damn, you guys are good in this forum. No freakin secrets here. hehe -- The disk I used had some steel guitar phrases, so I just chopped them up to fit into the song. The drums are indeed Drums on demand. I usually create my drums using hits and building my own beats, I thought it would be easier to use something like drums on demand. Honestly I don't know if I will use them again, just because It wasnt really that much less work to get them sounding the way I wanted. I had to add another kick, toms, cymbals, etc. i do like the professional sound, but it is quite generic. I wanted a natural sounding kit for this tune, so it worked out for this song.

Anyway, thanks for the comments and I'm loving the Lounge Lizard :-))

opensky
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 481
    RE: Unhappily Ever After :----((( 2007/08/13 12:00:58 (permalink)
    I thought those were Drums on Demand. I used them for awhile, but they have a real processed generic sound. If you ever get a chance, check out DrumCore. That's what I use now. What's great is that not only are the drummers and quality light years better but you can use whatever drum kits you use for loops to create your own midi drum loops to fill in the blanks that you can't find already with loops. I hope that makes sense. I really like what you're doing and it could really benefit from using loops that are not processed sounding to match your music. Thanks again for your comments on the Lizard.

Steve

Steve
    www.soundclick.com/opensky
    www.soundclick.com/open

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy...I was made for another world." CS Lewis
    MannyNY
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Unhappily Ever After :----((( 2007/08/13 12:37:25 (permalink)
    Very nice! Mix, performance and overall sound is very polished. Lyrics work well also. You’ve got an interesting (in a good way) voice – it’s very “identifiable” and as someone else mentioned, I know I’ve heard some of your other material – all very good. My little two-cent comment – some harmony would sound real sweet in there.

Enjoyed it – a fun listen – thanks
    Toystein
    RE: Unhappily Ever After :----((( 2007/08/13 22:30:54 (permalink)
    steve,

Yea i don't think I'm going to use Drums OD again, unless I do another country vibe tune hehe -- I just dread programming drums its so tedious. ah I will take a look at drum core, although I don't use midi i work with the wav files - but perhaps i can change my ways. Thanks for the suggestion and comments.

Manny,

I usually have all kinds of backups and harmony going on with the vocals, but this time i had nearly none, its all one track, which is different for me. I suppose I'm getting more comfortable with my voice, but harmonies will return *smile*- I appreciate the positive feedback Manny, thank you
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Unhappily Ever After :----((( 2007/08/14 01:12:40 (permalink)
    Hey Toy, been a real long time!

This one is really different for you; kind of a Wilco/Tweedy track. You've do a great job with it. I think you've put it together perfectly.

Vocals a great. Looking forward to hearing more of your new material.
    Toystein
    RE: Unhappily Ever After :----((( 2007/08/14 17:31:11 (permalink)
    It has been a long time. I'd say I played it safe on this track, but it is different from what I usually do and it has a country vibe so I did the best i could without messing it up. I will be posting more, thats for sure. thanks ed
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Unhappily Ever After :----((( 2007/08/14 17:48:39 (permalink)
    Nice work there. Very well produced. I don't have a sub, but it sounded like it might be a little overwhelming on the low end for folks with good bass reproduction, but it's hard to say, just a guess. On my monitors it sounded very nice and on my sanity check smaller monitors, a sign of a good mix. The tune was nice as well. Maybe kinda country I guess, but could just as well have been something like from a band like The Wallflowers as well.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Unhappily Ever After :----((( 2007/08/14 18:19:40 (permalink)
    Nice song, and indeed very interesting voice. Going to put this on my new speakers tomorrow - nice and loud. See what those basses do, then - it all sounded perfectly fine on cups. Would like to hear more, for sure.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    My Favorites
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 744
    RE: Unhappily Ever After :----((( 2007/08/14 21:40:30 (permalink)
    I never had this skill.. Controlling every second in the song, connecting the sections, parts perfectly.. See your drum, vocal. bass part, when you run for other section in the song, all elements support each other dandily.. I hope this is experience matter, that i will have after some time

click image
    Roflcopter
    RE: Unhappily Ever After :----((( 2007/08/15 02:53:59 (permalink)
    Going to put this on my new speakers tomorrow - nice and loud. See what those basses do, then - it all sounded perfectly fine on cups.

And sounded fine.

Toystein
    RE: Unhappily Ever After :----((( 2007/08/15 10:58:44 (permalink)
    Nice work there. Very well produced. I don't have a sub, but it sounded like it might be a little overwhelming on the low end for folks with good bass reproduction, but it's hard to say, just a guess. On my monitors it sounded very nice and on my sanity check smaller monitors, a sign of a good mix. The tune was nice as well. Maybe kinda country I guess, but could just as well have been something like from a band like The Wallflowers as well.

Dean,

I just have to talk about my monitors. :-))

I used to have a pair of audix 1A's... well I still have them but I dont use them any more. I'd pair those with some JBL 6200's (i think that's the model) and I'd have to go back and forth between those two monitors and my headphones. Very tedious to mix. Lots of guess work. But then I was fortunate enough to get the JBL 4328p's. I went into guitar center and just wanted some kind of RTA so i could get the guess work under control and the rep upsold me on the JBL speakers. Whats cool about them is that they tune to your room. It even has a remote so you can switch off the RTA thing off, so you can cross reference to be sure.

Not only are good monitors good for mix down, but also for getting a good sound going in, because you can actually hear what sound your recording. I would recommend these to anyone.

http://mixonline.com/products/review/audio_jbl_lsrp_selfpowered/

I say all this now, but my next mix will probably sound like ****! hehe

Rolfcopter,

thanks for the listen, I think I was able to get the frequencies under control on this one, but some will notice it doesn't have a whole lot of frequency going on past 6k. I added some while i was mastering, but didnt like it. What kind of speakers do you have?

Myfavorites

I'm kind of dissapointed with the bass and drum parts. I don't think I nailed it on the bass and the drums didn't groove enough in my opinion during the "i want you to say it" part. I'm usually a better bass player, but bass and drums are only as good as they are to each other. It's passable but I would change it If I could stomach going back to this song, which I cant hehe.

and yes.. It takes time. As you can tell, I'm not satisfied with the song, but it was the best I could do to "get it done" - I only have one song on soundclick, but I've written and recorded probably close to a couple dozen. Just keep putting one foot forward, I haven't heard your music, but never being satisfied, a constant fair self criticism and always going back with a fresh set of ears will help.

The more you make a commitment to something the better it will be, and that goes for just about anything.

toy
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Unhappily Ever After :----((( 2007/08/15 12:46:54 (permalink)
    That's a great mix Toy, really very good indeed. What a cool song too, lovely feel and mood.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Unhappily Ever After :----((( 2007/08/15 14:16:19 (permalink)
    Excellent song, Toy. Pedal steel is what gives it its country flavor, otherwise a solid alt/pop tune.
    vocals are clean and clear. Drums sound okay, bass perhaps a little lacking in authority. And I love the understated guitar work. Very appealing.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Roflcopter
    RE: Unhappily Ever After :----((( 2007/08/15 14:54:53 (permalink)
    What kind of speakers do you have?

Oh, nothing you'd consider to be real monitors (Philips MMS321), but they suit me fine. Only checked how the basses sounded BTW, just had a few minutes this morning, was a bit rushed - but those didn't sound off or anything.

Toystein
    RE: Unhappily Ever After :----((( 2007/08/16 13:10:25 (permalink)
    thanks for the comments all, yes the bass and drums could have been better. I'm going to stick to creating my drum tracks from scratch, cause my bass playing really depends on the feel im getting from the drums. thanks for the listens!

rolfcopter,

i guess I'm sounding like a monitor snob, hehe-I'm not though :-)

Thanks for the bass check, that gives me even more confidence in my monitors. I notched out some frequencies while mixing, which seemed to make it play well on other systems, the bass still does sound like it might overpower with bad freq's, but it i suppose it doesn't.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1