EZDand midi and autosnap?

Author
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
2007/08/13 00:41:37 (permalink)

EZDand midi and autosnap?

Admittedly, I had a tune that the timing seemed like rubbish, so I thought a good time to learn and use audiosnap...or autosnap... which ever name it is.

Man.. worked incredible and I can see I have found a new crutch, for sure.

Question... I was taking some EZD loops, along with a basic MIDI sequence I imported from a Roland keyboard to use as my drums. That ended up sounding great, and no audible timing errors.
Next... I added a MIDI bass sequence from the same Roland keyboard.... same tempo, etc.
I could visually see that the drum tracks were kinda floating around the timing. I used them as my "master"...I guess you would call it, and "snapped" my bass sequence to it. Lined up like a champ. But I could see my tempo value SLOWLY changing around... all within a beat. It only varied a 1/4 bpm or so...but kinda drifted around.

The final result is I can't hear the timing problems...but things are locked up like Fort Knox. I couldn't be happier.

Does EZD "drift" around.... because I have stacked MIDI sequences from my Roland keyboard A LOT and NEVER had a timing issue...even coming back days later and importing more sequences. The Roland clock seems solid, but in this case it was odd. Just enough to hear it out of sync with EZD, and visually a little too, but thanks to MONDO SNAP, life is good.
post edited by mixmkr - 2007/08/13 00:50:27

5 Replies Related Threads

Phrauge
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    RE: EZDand midi and autosnap? 2007/08/13 01:17:37 (permalink)
    What sound card are you using?
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: EZDand midi and autosnap? 2007/08/13 09:02:56 (permalink)
    Depending on the EZX, the grooves are not heavily quantitized so that they will breathe a little. However, this would not cause any kind of floating. Check the properties of your midi clips and make sure that if you are Ctrl-L (Groove Looping) the clips they are coming out at the proper length. If you don't Ctrl-l the loop you might not be getting the next groove on the downbeat as it snaps to the right border of the previous loop.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    mixmkr
    RE: EZDand midi and autosnap? 2007/08/13 21:59:55 (permalink)
    thanks Mod... yeah, I "groove looped" the clips, as that was how I was only able to put the EZD loops on TOP of my basic "boom-chick" drum foundation. I do the EASY stuff on the sequencer, then nab some fills from EZD to help my turnarounds, fills, etc. Then I usually ditch the basic drum tracks. Kinda build it as I go, so to speak. My tempo was at 128 from the Roland....and set at that also for the Sonar session. When I groove-looped the drum fills, they always fit perfect....I'd just "slide" them into place, and walla!!... perfect line up...at least for a measure or two. NOW, when I turned on the autosnap and set up a tempo map, my (Sonar)tempo readout was going from
    128 ....127.6 ......128.1..... 127.4....127.8....... 128....etc. Nothing you would really hear. My "snapped" bass sequence locked in perfect AND you could see it (all midi tracks) after the "snap".
    I can believe the EZD beats are NOT quantized heavily and DO breathe a bit. Actually for the better sounding file, I would assume. It is just that my STRICT QUANTIZED bass (midi) sequence didn't originally fit. Sounded sloppy, actually that it was unexceptable. Not ALOT, but just enough.

Anyrate, I think I am believing that until I REALLY check the loops out more, they do "move" around a tad.

BTW, I am using an Echo Layla 20 bit card. (for the previous poster) I am under the impression that shouldn't make a differece at all...as there is no clock in the Layla coming into play.

Thanks for the replies
    post edited by mixmkr - 2007/08/13 22:11:58
    mixmkr
    RE: EZDand midi and autosnap? 2007/08/13 22:08:16 (permalink)
    you know...thinking about it, it may actually be that the Roland DOES drift around, and that is why when I set up the tempo map, it changed from being heavily quantized to "drifting". It is just that prior to me using EZD my ears always told me it was RIGHT ON, when I stacked sequences, flying them in one at a time. Now that I SEE it in Sonar, I can see it IS off. This was just the first time I really heard it, and I have only used EZD on a half dozen or so songs at this point too.
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: EZDand midi and autosnap? 2007/08/13 23:01:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mixmkr

you know...thinking about it, it may actually be that the Roland DOES drift around, and that is why when I set up the tempo map, it changed from being heavily quantized to "drifting". It is just that prior to me using EZD my ears always told me it was RIGHT ON, when I stacked sequences, flying them in one at a time. Now that I SEE it in Sonar, I can see it IS off. This was just the first time I really heard it, and I have only used EZD on a half dozen or so songs at this point too.
    You know, when I used to use my trusty Sound Canvas module, I could hear some delay at times. It was like a hesitation and no amount of quantizing the sequence would fix it. I chalked it up as too much data trying to come down the pipe at the same time. So I would divide the parts across several modules and it seemed to help quite a bit.

That said, you might want to commit the midi sequences to audio and then do the audio snap on the audio recording of your synth. Something to consider.
    post edited by Mod Bod - 2007/08/13 23:09:35

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1