Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE SOLVED

Author
lightninrick
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 972
2007/08/13 08:42:31 (permalink)

Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE SOLVED

I created my first Sonar 6 project yesterday in S6.2 by saving an older project with a new name in S6 PE. (Wanted to use the effects chain setups.)

I recorded two tracks of audio, have several softynths (Wusikstation, RXP, Halion, Zebra CM, String Theory 1.5) running as well.

Suddenly the outputs for tracks and busses began peaking out totally, with heavy distortion of course. On investigation it turned out that every track with a Sonitus compressor on it was peaking as soon as the compressor engaged. I deleted the compressor instances and re-applied them. Same thing. The project is basically useless if there's a compressor on any track.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

It goes withotu saying that S6 PE is turning out to be a difficult install, like every other version.

Regards, lightninrick
post edited by lightninrick - 2007/08/13 19:11:03

20 Replies Related Threads

Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE 2007/08/13 08:45:37 (permalink)
    What is the level going into the compressor, what settings are you using, are you using presets, are you changing the settings from within the plugin ?
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    RE: Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE 2007/08/13 08:54:23 (permalink)
    Are your tracks routed through any busses that you're unaware of?
    lightninrick
    RE: Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE 2007/08/13 09:21:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ognis

What is the level going into the compressor, what settings are you using, are you using presets, are you changing the settings from within the plugin ?

I have deleted and then re-entered the compressor into the FX bin. When I re-entered it, I tested it by manually adjusting the threshold during playback. As soon as the threshold reached a level low enough to engage the audio, the levels peaked. And as soon as the levels peak on one track, they peak on every other track with a Sonituar compressor plugin.

I have used compressors for years, and I promise that this is not about careless threshold or gain levels in the compressor.

Thanks, lightninrick.
    Ognis
    RE: Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE 2007/08/13 09:25:20 (permalink)
    And as soon as the levels peak on one track, they peak on every other track with a Sonituar compressor plugin.

Wow, something is going wrong here for sure! You are talking about the compressor that comes bundled with Sonar right ? I've never used that one, I rely on Waves RComp mostly, but if I were you, I'd call Cakewalk and ask them. Or if you don't have long distance, drop them an email.
    lightninrick
    RE: Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE 2007/08/13 09:25:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Lynn

ORIGINAL: Lynn

Definitely not. This is a buss setup that I've used on multiple projects, and I know where every send and return is going.

Thanks, LR
    corrupted
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2739
    RE: Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE 2007/08/13 09:46:02 (permalink)
    Yea... what compressor are you using?
    lightninrick
    RE: Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE 2007/08/13 10:06:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: corrupted

Yea... what compressor are you using?

It's the Sonitus compressor that comes bundled with Sonar.

I use this compressor all the time, on every project I do, and I have never encountered an issue like this. I tried loading another project that uses this compressor, and it work fine. So it may be a project corruption issue, but I have no idea how the project might have become corrupted, especially since the problem surfaced while I was working on the project, not after a save and reload.

I recall that at one point in the project I changed the default audio format from 24 bit /44.1 kHz to 24 bit/48 khz. But I didn't record any new tracks after that, and I switched the format back. Is that a possible cause?

Thanks, LR

Ognis
    RE: Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE 2007/08/13 10:14:50 (permalink)
    Is that a possible cause?

I'd say no. There has been sevreal times I've had to change default audio BR/SR mid way though a project, and I never had this happen.

If possible, why not bounce every track down to tracks, to eliminate any plug-ins that you are using. Save that as "mix2" or something, and apply your compression then. (I'm assuming you were at the finial stages of the project anyway, so couldn't hurt, and if you need to change anything, just go back to the original project, make the change, and export the audio, then import it, to replace whatever was changed, in the new "mix2" project).
    lightninrick
    RE: Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE 2007/08/13 10:19:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ognis

Is that a possible cause?

I'd say no. There has been sevreal times I've had to change default audio BR/SR mid way though a project, and I never had this happen.

If possible, why not bounce every track down to tracks, to eliminate any plug-ins that you are using. Save that as "mix2" or something, and apply your compression then. (I'm assuming you were at the finial stages of the project anyway, so couldn't hurt, and if you need to change anything, just go back to the original project, make the change, and export the audio, then import it, to replace whatever was changed, in the new "mix2" project).

Man, what a mess! Anyway, I'd have to export the audio to a different project, since I've already tried deleting all the Sonitus compressor plugins, and then loading a new one in.

I may end up exporting all the audio and importing it into a new project.

Thanks, LR
    stratcat33511
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3636
    RE: Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE 2007/08/13 10:31:13 (permalink)
    Distortion you say at 48kHz?
    We noticed DimPro distorts SFZ's at 48K or greater.
    At 44.1/24 bit it was fine.

Would you mind trying this test here with your soft synths to see if this is applicable ?

http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.asp?m=1111898

lightninrick
    RE: Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE 2007/08/13 10:51:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: stratcat33511

Distortion you say at 48kHz?
    We noticed DimPro distorts SFZ's at 48K or greater.
    At 44.1/24 bit it was fine.

Would you mind trying this test here with your soft synths to see if this is applicable ?

http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.asp?m=1111898

The link you've pointed to describes a lot of different stuff. Can you please be more specific as to what exactly you'd like me to do?

Thanks, LR
    stratcat33511
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3636
    RE: Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE 2007/08/13 11:12:15 (permalink)
    Basically we loaded up a wave and an sfz and found 48kHz or greater we got audible and visible distortion
    It's a test tone in wav and sfz format

I was wondering if Wusik, or RXP and others did the same thing.
    We were focusing on DimPro and SD2, but it might not be isolated there.
    I use Wusikstation as well, so I might give that a shot later

Mike Fisher
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1374
    RE: Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE 2007/08/13 12:17:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lightninrick

It goes withotu saying that S6 PE is turning out to be a difficult install, like every other version.

This statement sounds to me like you have other issues with your system. I've never experienced any install issues with any of the 6 versions of SONAR, which I've had installed on several different machines over the years. Having install issues with every other version is not normal at all. This would lead me to believe there is something else going on with your system.
    lightninrick
    RE: Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE 2007/08/13 12:45:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mike Fisher

This statement sounds to me like you have other issues with your system. I've never experienced any install issues with any of the 6 versions of SONAR, which I've had installed on several different machines over the years. Having install issues with every other version is not normal at all. This would lead me to believe there is something else going on with your system.

My "system" changes over time. I have installed Sonar 4/5/6 on 4 different computers in the last 5 years. Sonar 2 was an easy install. Nothing since has been.

I have used paid professional advice from people like Ethan Winer to learn how to set my machines up properly. It still take lots of time and effort.

I grant that these are complex pieces of software. As a frequent contributor to this forum, I'm aware that lots of other people have problems with these products too.

I have learned the hard way to back up my system completely before I install a new version of Sonar, and that's the only reason I'm not tearing my hair out right now.

Thanks, LR
    post edited by lightninrick - 2007/08/13 12:53:31
    Mike Fisher
    RE: Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE 2007/08/13 13:00:16 (permalink)

My "system" changes over time. I have installed Sonar 4/5/6 on 4 different computers in the last 5 years. Sonar 2 was an easy install. Nothing since has been.

I made my post to show that it is possible to have successful / uneventful installs with SONAR. As you said, your SONAR 2 was an easy install.

I have learned the hard way to back up my system completely before I install a new version of Sonar, and that's the only reason I'm not tearing my hair out right now.

This should be standard practice when installing any new software on a machine used for business (or leisure for that matter). This would especially be true if there are ongoing projects on the system.

All that aside, I hope you find the solution to your compressor issue. Have you tried reinstalling the plugins? You can do a custom SONAR installation and only select the Sonitus plugins. I would make sure they were completely uninstalled first.
    lightninrick
    RE: Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE 2007/08/13 13:27:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mike Fisher
    Have you tried reinstalling the plugins? You can do a custom SONAR installation and only select the Sonitus plugins. I would make sure they were completely uninstalled first.

I have restored my SONAR 5.2 setup and re-installed 6.0, then 6.2, including the Sonitus plugs. The problem has gotten much, much worse. The system goes into feedback immediately when a Sonar project is loaded and played.

The Echo MIA card that is providing in/out is working fine with other applications, e.g. WinAmp and CoolEdit. So at some level the audio drivers are working.

I forgot uninstall the Sonitus plugs before re-installing them, so I'll try that next. But this is getting pretty weirdly bad.

Thanks, LR

lightninrick
    RE: Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE 2007/08/13 14:00:42 (permalink)
    Restored again to 5.2. Loaded a previous project that uses the Sonitus plugs. No problem loading and running.

I am beginning to think this is a project corruption issue. But whatever corrupted that project, it's pretty nasty.

I didn't mention previously that there's a track in the nasty project that uses Audio Snap. Is there any possibility that Audio Snap is making everything go wild?

Thanks, LR
    lightninrick
    RE: Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE MORE INFO 2007/08/13 18:10:28 (permalink)
    I restored version 5.2. In testing, I find that I get the problem bigtime when using RXP--running a REX2 loop through RXP and teh effects chain is horrifying. Since the C: partition has been completely restored--meaning that the .dlls for the DX effects like Sonitus are back to their original state--this suggests that the conflicts might be in the VSTs, which I did NOT restore to the original state after installing Sonar 6.

I'm going to re-scan all VSTs from scratch and re-test.

This doesn't explain why I'm having the problem in Sonar 6, which did a complete scan immediately following installation. But maybe it didn't re-scan the legacy plugins, of which RXP would have been one.

More later.

Regards, lightninrick
    lightninrick
    RE: Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE SOLVED 2007/08/13 19:03:20 (permalink)
    Okay, I re-scanned all the plugins, and that apparently solved the problem. Everything is now playing nice, at least in Sonar 5.2. When I re-install S6, I will make sure a complete re-scan is done there too.

As with most computer problems that appear out of nowhere, the key to solving this one was to ask what changed?

Thanks, lightninrick
    Mike Fisher
    RE: Big problem with compressors in Sonar 6 PE SOLVED 2007/08/13 21:07:48 (permalink)

Okay, I re-scanned all the plugins, and that apparently solved the problem. Everything is now playing nice, at least in Sonar 5.2. When I re-install S6, I will make sure a complete re-scan is done there too.

Thanks for the updates. It's good that people post solutions / follow-ups to their problems. It sure sounds like something got corrupted along the way before. Hopefully things will go well with the SONAR 6.* re-install. Remember the SONAR 6.* install puts some things in different places than normal...something regarding Vista compatibility, I believe.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1