Editing a song

Author
egor50
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2007/08/13 13:45:17 (permalink)

Editing a song

Once a song is recorded, and there is a blend of live instruments (digital audio tracks) and MIDI tracks together...can anyone tell me why if I use the "master tempo" to slow it all down...the digital audio tracks do not follow the tempo shift? I fully understand the differences involved. But I assumed incorrectly that the sequencer would by "default control the time shifting" without a pitch change to all of the digital audio tracks as well. This to me is "intuitive". So...I must be ignorant of something basic in the programs functions and commands. I was always under the assumption that the "time stamp" held all of the tracks together in sync unless you separated one of them from the group. Problem is I slowed the tempo down to "step record" a complex effect on a MIDI track. You know what happened next...all the MIDI obeyed the tempo change and the digital audio kept going at the same "real time" that it was recorded at. Is there anything simple in this program that helps digital audio slow up a bit without separate 'TIME SHIFT" processing?

Also for another project I would like to re-record a old garage band jam of mine and its on a mono cassette. Sounds horrible. But if I place it into a digital audio track and "follow it" with MIDI tracks there is no doubt I will run into the same sync issue again. Am I even doing this right? Can any sequencer sync DA and MIDI for edits? The recording sync seems OK...until you change the tempo!

4 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Editing a song 2007/08/13 14:23:01 (permalink)
    The long answer is yes it can be done, the short answer is no. Speeding up and slowing down audio is far more difficult than midi , since midi is nothing but instructions anyway. Audio must be pitch shifted or time stretched. This is not near the same process as changing tempo in midi. I suggest muting the audio and step writting the midi then reset the temp and un mute. The master tempo is a midi tool, for audio it must be set before hand. and if changed it will alter the audio file, and this will cause major issues. A propgram like Melodine or something similar, or something like Acid Pro will do audio time adjustment. but syncing it with midi will usually be problematic.

As far as the garage band issue, for the most part almost any band will speed up and slow down constantly, so timing is not constant, so adding midi to an old live recording will be very difficult, if not impossible.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Editing a song 2007/08/13 23:12:21 (permalink)
    I remember reading about how to determine the (approximate) tempo of an audio track in order to add MIDI to it. I posted a link to it here on the forum, I'll see if I can find it. It involves math.
    Do your MIDI first then add audio, as Robomusic suggested, or record your audio to the metronome in MC, so all your performances will be in sync. I know that's not always going to work, because as you learned, there's going to be something you want to add.
    Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    egor50
    RE: Editing a song 2007/08/16 12:31:36 (permalink)
    Hello Edward,

Thank you for contacting Cakewalk Technical Support. Download and
    install the latest drivers from www.creative.com, or if you have the
    latest drivers, reinstall the ones that you have. Then, delete the
    files AUD.INI and TTSSEQ.INI by going to Start | Search for All Files
    and Folders. Next, under Options | Audio | Drivers, only select your
    sound card wave in and out, do not select any voice modems or other
    driver.

Otherwise, go to Options | Audio | Advanced and put a check where it
    says Always use MME Interface (or change the Driver Mode to MME).
    Close the program and re-open it. The Wave Profiler should run tests.
    You should now have more devices listed under MIDI Devices and Audio
    Drivers.

The SB Live 24 and Audigy record audio best at a 48k sampling rate. Go
    to Options | Audio to change this and start a new project.

I hope that helps.
    egor50
    RE: Editing a song 2007/08/16 12:33:55 (permalink)
    I think cakewalk came back with a workout for DA and MIDI sync

post edited by egor50 - 2007/08/16 12:48:05
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1