M Audio Project Mix input question...Please Help!

Author
Audiosizzle
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31
2007/08/14 01:01:43 (permalink)

M Audio Project Mix input question...Please Help!

Okay, so...this could very well be a question better suited to ask M audio themselves, but thought I would give a shout out on here and see if anyone has any answers, 'cause this forum is SO helpful!!! I'm using an M audio Project Mix i/o as my soundcard/interface/control surface. It has served me well so far, but I just noticed something that I hadn't noticed before, because I had no "need" to notice it until now. When I go into the menu to assign an input for a track, only the odd numbered inputs show up!!! I.E. - Analog 1, Analog 3, Analog 5, Analog 7, ADAT 1, ADAT 3, ADAT 5, ADAT 7. All inputs have left, right, or stereo options, but the even numbered inputs are seemingly not available. Does anyone know why this is? I've selected both SPDIF and ADAT as my digital port selections, and that didn't do it. I've also selected word clock, internal, and external options for synchronization (yes, I realize that unless I have other gear to synch up to, which I currently don't, it doesn't really matter, but selected them all one at a time to see if it would make a difference. It didn't.).

I'm stumped and a little concerned. I am supposed to be recording a drumset here in the next couple weeks, and will need all eight of the analog inputs in order to do that. I tried looking on M audio's website, but it's not as rich with information like this forum is - it wasn't of much help. I do have the most recent drivers installed for it, and everything is connected properly to my knowledge. If anyone can tell me why it's doing this - PLEASE help! It just doesn't make sense to me why those inputs aren't even available. I also went into the "advanced" dialogue under Options>Audio, and the drivers aren't available to select there, either. Strange. Is there something I'm doing wrong within Sonar itself? A setting set wrong or something?? HELP!!!

Sonar 8 PE, Pro Tools 8 M Powered, Ableton Live 7 Suite, TONS of plugs and VI's, Mesa/Boogie Roadster head and 2 X 12 Recto cab, M-audio DSM1's, mics, MIDI, live...recorded...whatever.  Music is entangled in my life and won't let me go. 

1 Reply Related Threads

mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: M Audio Project Mix input question...Please Help! 2007/08/14 01:40:13 (permalink)
    Most audio driver are configured that way.
    They show only odd numbered inputs with the option of using left, right or stereo.
    This must go back to when there were minimal connections and devices often had stereo inputs so 1 plug/socket combination provided 2 physical connections ie right or left with stereo also being an option.

In practical terms it doesn't mean you're short of inputs its just the way they are arranged.

On my MOTU 828 for example I have
    8 physical TRS inputs for channels 1-8 but in Software I have

1 Left/Right/Stereo
    3 Left/Right/Stereo
    5 Left/Right/Stereo
    7 Left/Right/Stereo

If I want to use Channel 2 that's "1 Right" and so on.

With Sonar's friendly name option you can call them what you want.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1