Thinking of Purchasing Sonar Producer - 3 ?s

Author
IAMLFO
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2007/08/14 02:01:44 (permalink)

Thinking of Purchasing Sonar Producer - 3 ?s

Hello to everyone!
I am breaking the chains of Steinberg and am looking for a new DAW. I was about to go to the Mac platform and purchase DP when a friend turned me on to Sonar. Truth be told I had not even considered it but after having looked at it I am really impressed. What a great app!

I've got three questions I would like to ask if you all don't mind. :)

1) ASIO or WDM? Does WDM give any advantage in Sonar? I'm looking at either a Focusrite 10 I/O or a MOTU 828mkII. The Focusrite does not have WDM. Does WDM provide lower latency in Sonar? This matter to me, I do alot of MIDI.

2) I can't figure out how to change velocity settings when in piano roll mode! Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

3) This one is truly embarrasing. I've looked at the help file tutorial, some videos on YouTube and I can't get a soft synth to play from my Evolution MIDI controller. I know it is working, I can use it in (ugh) SX. I don't think Sonar is getting any MIDI data from the controller. Is there someplace on the interface that shows that MIDI data is being received? A blinky light or something? I don't understand the Synth track either. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks to all for reading this and for any replies. Sonar has really surprised me and if this works out it will save me a bundle!

-I am LFO!

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams...

2 Replies Related Threads

What?
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Thinking of Purchasing Sonar Producer - 3 ?s 2007/08/14 02:08:40 (permalink)
    1- asio

2- from the main menu bar: process | mixi fx | cakewalk fx | velocity

3- you need to configure it properly. and yes, there's a blinking light, in the status bar, bottom right
    Susan G
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12016
    RE: Thinking of Purchasing Sonar Producer - 3 ?s 2007/08/14 02:17:19 (permalink)
    Hi-
    1) ASIO or WDM? Does WDM give any advantage in Sonar? I'm looking at either a Focusrite 10 I/O or a MOTU 828mkII. The Focusrite does not have WDM. Does WDM provide lower latency in Sonar? This matter to me, I do alot of MIDI.

2) I can't figure out how to change velocity settings when in piano roll mode! Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Welcome to the forum!

#1- It depends. On lots of things, really. Many folks here swear by ASIO drivers, but others (like me) have better results with WDM (I have a MOTU Ultralite).

#2. Open the Controller Pane in PRV, and you can draw/edit velocities to your heart's content! There are several other ways to edit them, including the Event Inspector.

#3. I'm sure others will jump in to help out, but also be sure to go through the Tutorials. Lots of info there on this.

HTH-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1