Don't Cry For Me - Collab

Author
DuRod
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1082
2007/08/14 20:39:32 (permalink)

Don't Cry For Me - Collab

Hello all, haven't been able to get to the forum lately........been real busy . Here's a song that Larry Hansen and I worked on together, and let me tell you, he layed down some MEAN lead. Larry, thanks a million amigo, that's exactly what the song needed ......perfect job. I would appreciate if you all would take a listen and give me some feedback on the mix. I don't want to add anything else to it, but I want to do the lead and the vocals justice on this one. Thanks in advance.

The title of the song is "Don't Cry For Me"
http://www.soundclick.com/duanerod
DuRod

17 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Don't Cry For Me - Collab 2007/08/15 08:42:11 (permalink)
    Hey guys, good work. This is a nice, intimate vocal performance Duane. Keys are well placed, and Larry - that's some tasty, bluesy lead my man, great tone on that

Only thing I would do (as a personal preference) is bring in some simple percussion on verse 2 through to the end, like a rimshot or something to accent push the rhythm.

Good stuff!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Don't Cry For Me - Collab 2007/08/15 13:28:22 (permalink)
    Duane, I think I like this better than anything I've heard from you so far. Good arrangement, solid song. Vocals are spot on, keys sit well in the mix. And Larry: your guitar work is flawless. Almost makes me wonder why you asked for guitarists for Slinky John. I really feel that bass and drums would serve this song well, give it some drive. But what you've got here is excellent.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    DuRod
    RE: Don't Cry For Me - Collab 2007/08/15 20:00:25 (permalink)
    James, thanks man.......your comments are highly valued. Larry did a great job didn't he; it blew me away cause I was thinking about an acoustic lead part, but after I heard his first pass at it I said SOLD!! With guys like you and Larry laying down lead parts like that, it makes it a whole lot easier to make a so-so song into a song that will catch people's attention.

Mark, also many thanks to you for the encouraging comments. I was going to purposely leave out the drums and bass on this one to try and keep it more of a simple ballad-message type song. I just wish I could get a better sound on the vocals........my mixing talents are still in the early development stages!! Thanks again Mark.

Duane
    AsherLongley
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 683
    RE: Don't Cry For Me - Collab 2007/08/16 13:21:53 (permalink)
    This is cool that you had a collab. Your messages are always so GREAT. We need to know that there is a hope beyond the things of this world. Too many people get lost in focusing on the things of man (that man has made, done, and reason under his own strength). There is a strength greater than our "human" selves, God, His son Jesus. This message is great.

There are some parts at the begining where I would increase the lead guitar levels. Toward the end it sounds balanced in the mix. You may also consider increasing the high to mid-high EQ on the accoustic. The vocals are clear and well recorded.

Larry's guitar playing is sweet. I was very excited to hear what Larry could do on the electric. It really fits the song well. God bless you both for working on a message so worth singing and performing.

-Matt
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Don't Cry For Me - Collab 2007/08/16 21:52:08 (permalink)
    Hey, Duane and Larry! I echo Matt's statements. You do have great lyrics/messages in your songs. Larry - the electric sounds great on this! I thought the organ sound was a little too hot in the mix near the end, but that's the only critique I have.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: Don't Cry For Me - Collab 2007/08/16 22:28:13 (permalink)
    Hey guys - it finally happened, eh? A collaboration between the two of you! However, I was hoping to hear you guys sing together - a duet, sort of speak .
    My oh my, what a great song, Duane! Very nice, very nice collab, indeed. Again, great lyrics, great arrangement, great ideas. Larry's wonderful Lead fills are wonderful and match the whole song so perfectly. I agree with Reece: The pad/keys sounds are too hot, or too loud - also, if at all possible, try to slowly (very slowly) pan the pad left to right and back; thus adding some nice movement to the background. Eventually, yes - I too would add drums, but most of all - bass.
    Wonderful song, Duane - and (I guess I'm the first one to point that out): It's a rather new sound. It doesn't have that typical DuRod trademark sound. It's slightly different, and that's what I think Mark meant, by '... better than anything I've heard from you so far'. I agree with him.
    Good job, guys.
    Heinz.

DuRod
    RE: Don't Cry For Me - Collab 2007/08/17 07:09:05 (permalink)
    Matt, thank you for the confirmation on the message.......that's where my heart is and what I'm trying to do. Yea, this is my second collab, the first being with James G. also on lead, and they both turned out far beyond my expectations . Man, these guys are good at what they do and I consider it an honor to be able work with this kind of talent. I'll check out the levels on the lead at the beginning, I did drop them back a bit at the beginning. Also I'll play with the EQ on the acoustic. Thanks for the tips and the positive feedback.

Beagle, I kind of thought the same thing about the organ towards the end, so I am going to pull it back a little since you've confirmed it . Thanks for the help and the listen.

Heinz, haven't heard from you lately.........you must be "fighting pirates" !! I think Larry is still working on the vocals, he just gave me the lead part first. I've got to get back with him and see what his plans are. Thanks for the tip on the panning, I'll do it; I'm still learning how to master the panning thing . Well, I guess ya'll have convinced me to add some bass and maybe some sparse drums. I was going for a very simple ballad type song, but I guess the build in the chorus demands a little more be added. I'll certainly play around with it. Thanks for the listen and for your encouragement.

Duane
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Don't Cry For Me - Collab 2007/08/17 15:32:03 (permalink)
    Hey everyone!

Just wanted to thank everyone for the wonderful comments! I especially want to thank Duane for letting me be a part of this. He writes some wondeful material. You da man!!! I stopped playing the electric guitar for about a year and decided to just focus on acoustic. After hearing Mark and Tony's guitar playing on Slinky John, they inspired me to pick the darn thing up again. So, I just had to put it to good use! Anyways, this is a great song of Duane's, with or without the added lead work.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: Don't Cry For Me - Collab 2007/08/17 15:47:44 (permalink)
    Duane, Larry,

Nice work on this tune. Great sentiment and structure with sa-mokin' guitar leads, very tasty. Vocals sound nice and close. Could be my headphones but I am hearing a touch of hi-end sizzle on the vocals. I'm with James too about adding some light percussion or maybe some subtle instrumentation to the latter half of the song. Well done.
    Danley
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Don't Cry For Me - Collab 2007/08/18 06:17:50 (permalink)
    Duane,

Very powerfull song that evokes emotion as it builds. I really liked you vocals, and the rythm of the entire piece. As everyone has already commented, the lead guitar was perfect for this piece. Almost haunting in the way it entered the song (Well done Larry!)

A very enjoyable listen!!

Dan

clarkeo
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    RE: Don't Cry For Me - Collab 2007/08/18 09:38:41 (permalink)
    Nice song and nice message in it. I like the guitar work on this. The lead was really nice. Good chord structure. The mix sounds pretty good to my ears. The one thing I didn't care for much was the choir patch. I think it would sound better with backup vocals doing ooohhs rather than the patch you used there. Nice job.

Clark

Sonar PE 8.5.2, Project 5 V2, Firepod
    DuRod
    RE: Don't Cry For Me - Collab 2007/08/18 19:23:26 (permalink)
    Larry, I sure am glad this song inspired you to pick up and dust off that electric, cause you sure don't need to be hiding that kind of talent in the corner. Thanks again Larry for an outstanding contribution.

Bill, thanks for the comment. Coming from a musician with your talent, it means a lot. I did bring the sizzle down some on the vocals and am currently working on adding some stick and hi-hat. Thanks for the tips.....much apprediated.

Clark, thanks for the positive comments. I may try those back-up vocals versus the choir patch.........good idea. Thanks.

Duane
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Don't Cry For Me - Collab 2007/08/18 19:30:51 (permalink)
    Just wanted to thank everyone for the wonderful comments! I especially want to thank Duane for letting me be a part of this. He writes some wondeful material. You da man!!! I stopped playing the electric guitar for about a year and decided to just focus on acoustic. After hearing Mark and Tony's guitar playing on Slinky John, they inspired me to pick the darn thing up again. So, I just had to put it to good use! Anyways, this is a great song of Duane's, with or without the added lead work.

Hey, I thought you were supposed to get all choked up and mention me in any acceptance speaches :-)

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Don't Cry For Me - Collab 2007/08/18 22:08:14 (permalink)
    Darn, I almost forgot! Before I accept the grammy, I wanted to thank Dean Roddey for the unselfish act of kindess by bestowing upon me his POD XT Pro unit! Without him, I would not be where I am today! Hug, cry, hug, sniff.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    RE: Don't Cry For Me - Collab 2007/08/19 00:32:44 (permalink)
    Great song Duane and Larry. Nice work from both of you. A great collab. I would also have to agree with Reece and Heinz. Drums and bass would really finish up this song and lower the keyboard a tad. Very nice work, now finish it so we can here a great finished song from the two of you. Thanks for sharing. John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Don't Cry For Me - Collab 2007/08/19 02:23:12 (permalink)
    Darn, I almost forgot! Before I accept the grammy, I wanted to thank Dean Roddey for the unselfish act of kindess by bestowing upon me his POD XT Pro unit! Without him, I would not be where I am today! Hug, cry, hug, sniff.

So I'm in the audience now, doing the false modesty thing as I get my closeup (after having spent 10 hours in makeup and hair preperation before going to the theater), and tearing up a little bit in return, just like my crying coach showed me how to do based on her thousands of hours of testing in Boise malls.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    DuRod
    Don't Cry For Me - Collab (Re-mix) 2007/08/19 19:27:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for the comments John. I took everybody's comments and added some bass, sticks and high hat, lowered the keys at the end and picked up the lead in the front a little. Please take a second listen and let me know if there are still some UH-Ohs that need to be tweaked. Thanks for all the help.

Duane
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1