Pro-tools help

Author
remlenad
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2007/08/16 11:00:17 (permalink)

Pro-tools help

Hi, I know Sonar and have just been asked to work in a studio with pro-tools, but i don't know pro-tools. are there any real must-knows that I should know before I jump at the offer?

Dan

5 Replies Related Threads

Dizzi45Z
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1040
    RE: Pro-tools help 2007/08/16 23:48:07 (permalink)
    Yeah, I would buy Pro Tools M-Powered and read the Pro Tools manual or do online tutorials to get up to speed fast. Most of the concepts are the same, but you will also see a lot of differences in what you can and cannot do.

-Dave
    Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
    Sonar 8.5 , Melodyne Plug-in, Pro Tools 8 HD2,  Waves Platinum Bundle
    Tascam DM-3200 with IF-FW/DM mkII
    AMD 64 X2 4400
    Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.6 11GB Ram

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Pro-tools help 2007/08/17 04:19:57 (permalink)
    Why not ask your questions in a pro tools forum. It just makes sence to me that if i had a question about a product, i wouldnt post it in the competitions forum. also, youll get better responces, dont ya think.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    BruceEnnis
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    RE: Pro-tools help 2007/08/17 05:24:56 (permalink)
    Hi, I know Sonar and have just been asked to work in a studio with pro-tools, but i don't know pro-tools. are there any real must-knows that I should know before I jump at the offer?

Let's see when I switched over from Sonar to ProTools 2 years ago it took a good solid weekend to learn the basics. And it was a good week before I was ready to do my first paying session. If your going this route and are only trying to learn the product as already suggested I'd purchase a cheap Digi interface like the Mbox 2 Mini. This will give you a free copy of PT LE. Next I'd suggest signing up and taking the on-line tutorials at http://www.grooveboxmusic.com the best I've found on the web for Protools.

Oh and this was the correct place to ask your question not many Sonar users on the Protools forums.

Bruce Ennis
    Studio
    Dizzi45Z
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1040
    RE: Pro-tools help 2007/08/17 10:56:14 (permalink)
    not many Sonar users on the Protools forums.

But quite a few Pro Tools users on these Sonar forums. But your question is quite general. I learned a lot about Pro Tools with www.grooveboxmusic.com too. Those videos are really well done and worth the money. I just wish I would have bought the CD/DVD's instead of just the month or two of access to the videos. There are times that I wish I could go back and refresh my memory on a few things.

-Dave
    Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
    Sonar 8.5 , Melodyne Plug-in, Pro Tools 8 HD2,  Waves Platinum Bundle
    Tascam DM-3200 with IF-FW/DM mkII
    AMD 64 X2 4400
    Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.6 11GB Ram

BruceEnnis
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    RE: Pro-tools help 2007/08/17 16:33:51 (permalink)
    I just wish I would have bought the CD/DVD's instead of just the month or two of access to the videos.

What I did was to go online for a month for that instant gratification and then ordered the cd/dvd's. Also to keep up with changes and learn new features/refresher course have once a year signed up for an additional month. They provide an excellent service never understood why they don't support Sonar.

Bruce Ennis
    Studio
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1