Odd crackling with Moog Modular V in P5

Author
iain_m
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
2007/08/18 00:44:25 (permalink)

Odd crackling with Moog Modular V in P5

Hi all

This is the kind of cross-product niggle that will probably be hard to fix, but here goes:

I am using the latest versions of P5 and also the Arturia Moog Modular V. My sound card is an M-Audio FireWire Solo.

If I use the M-audio asio drivers, I experience crackles when playing the Moog Modular - even with single note polyphony and low cpu levels in the P5 cpu monitor. Typically this happens when notes are released.

It happens at ANY buffer size.

This does not happen with ANY other vsts.

However if I switch to the MME drivers, which I would have thought would be less good, the problem disappears - even on a very low latency of about 5ms.

So my question is, can anyone else confirm this experience with the Moog in P5 - whether with or without the FireWire Solo?

And also, if I switch to MME rather than Asio, are there other issues of which I should be aware? I'd always just assumed Asio was better.

Thanks for any ideas.

2 Replies Related Threads

xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: Odd crackling with Moog Modular V in P5 2007/08/18 06:29:15 (permalink)
    Don't Arturia products also come in DXi flavour too? If so, try the DXi. The problem with MME drivers is they are high latency and ASIO is definitely a much better choice for P5.

I don't have any Arturia products (they are not to my liking), but I do recall issues when demoing some of their plugins where the audio was breaking up...never did figure out why, but I never encountered a similar problem with other companies plugins. I do believe a recent magazine review (in SOS, I think) of their newest plugin, Jupiter-8V, mentioned some issues with audio breaking up, which would suggest this is still a problem with their plugins.
    iain_m
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Odd crackling with Moog Modular V in P5 2007/08/18 06:38:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that and report back!

EDIT - UPDATE:

There isn't a DirectX version, unfortunately. However after more testing I have found out the following:

• The crackling ONLY happens when the Moog GUI is open (regardless of whether or not it is displayed or minimized, and regardless of whether it is being adjusted with the mouse).

• The crackling ONLY happens with the M-Audio FW Solo drivers - not with ASIO4ALL.

• With the M-Audio drivers, the crackling is diminished if you set a VERY large buffer such as 1024 samples+

I would think this would be entirely because of M-Audio, BUT none of this happens when running the Moog Modular outside of Project5 (e.g. as standalone or in Live 5).
    post edited by iain_m - 2007/08/18 19:51:48
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1