from an absolute beginner

Author
telegramsam1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2007/08/22 17:05:14 (permalink)

from an absolute beginner

All right, at the risk of embarrassing myself, I'm going to ask a few questions here. First, here's some info:

What operating system you are using: Windows XP
What MC program you have: MC4
How fast is the processor: Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz
How much memory is installed: 448 GB of RAM
What sound card(s) {for Robo} are installed: Realtek High Definition Audio (at least from what I can tell)

In another forum, someone used the analogy of a burro running the Kentucky Derby while discussing sound cards. I purchased Music Creator 4 a couple of days ago and am feeling a bit like someone who bought a Lambourghini to drive to the grocery store.

For the most part, I've done absolutely nothing before with music electronically. I bought GoldWave to change my LPs to digital, and soon discovered I could cut, paste, and otherwise alter music files to create my own remixes. After completing one track that I was quite satisfied with, I quickly realized how incredibly limited and time consuming using GoldWave would be, and thus purchased Music Creator 4.

So, the first thing I tried with MC4 was to import an MP3 track to cut up, mess with, etc. just to get a hang of the tools. Immediately I was struck with how awful the MP3 sounded when played with MC4. It was full of clicks and other distortions. Nothing I've tried remedies this problem. Why does the MP3 sound so bad?

MC4 has synths and drum maps. Can I actually create music with these tools, or do I still need an external music keyboard to imput raw notes/data that these tools can then alter?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given.

6 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: from an absolute beginner 2007/08/22 18:07:55 (permalink)
    WOW! a newbie who's done his homework! I'm impressed!

OK, MC4 is a very high level piece of software even tho it cost less than $50, so recording in MC and recording in Goldwave are not nearly the same thing.

you've got a few things working against you.

first, your video card. your video card is an onboard chip on your motherboard which shares your RAM instead of having its own dedicated memory. I know this because you listed your RAM as 448M instead of 512M. typically that means it's allotted that 64M to the video card and it's unaccessible to other programs. a dedicated video card with at least 64M of its own memory is my recommendation if you can afford it. what you have might work for now, but it's a consideration for you.

448M left is above the MINIMUM requirement for MC4 (256M), but I think they're assessment of minimum RAM is low. It takes 256M just to run WinXP, then everything else starts using Virtual RAM - which basically means it starts writing it to your hard drive and that causes major problems when trying to record audio. your RAM MIGHT be OK for now, but I'd consider an upgrade if you can sometime in the future.

realtek onboard sound card =

can we get it to work? maybe. most can get it to work, but some cannot. the realtek is actually a chip on the motherboard which also shares resources with the CPU and it is not designed for multitrack recording. an upgrade should be in your future for this if you can afford it. here are some recommendations for sound cards when you get that far:
    http://homerecording.beaglesound.com/9.html

Ok, so lets try to work with what you've got and get you going for now knowing what you're up against...

go to:
    OPTIONS>AUDIO>ADVANCED
    change the DRIVER MODE to MME
    close MC
    restart MC
    let the wave profiler run

see if your problem still exists.

if it does, go back to:
    OPTIONS>AUDIO>ADVANCED
    and move the latency slider all the way to the SAFE side

then try your recording/playback again.

if that doesn't work there's another trick we can try, but you might be hosed.

hope that helps!!

welcome to the forum and the money pit!!!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: from an absolute beginner 2007/08/22 18:22:48 (permalink)
    I am guilty of the burro joke! But Beag is right on here. 448 ram sounds like a 512 chip that is already being taxed by the system i would venture since MC4 is a sonar based progrgam 1 gig would be very useful.

Oh the Card(s) Crack was great! He's here thru Thursday folks don't forget to tip your waitress!!

Also check your buffering slider and make sure you do not have it set to fast to start and also find out what driver mode you are set to.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    telegramsam1
    RE: from an absolute beginner 2007/08/22 18:30:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for such a fast reply.

Let me try your suggestions (first thing in the AM) and we'll see what happens.
    telegramsam1
    RE: from an absolute beginner 2007/08/23 08:55:57 (permalink)
    Your advice was right on. Changing the driver mode solved the sound problem. Now, before I unleash a barrage of questions, I'm going to first run through the tutorials that came with MC4. Thanks again.
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: from an absolute beginner 2007/08/23 10:43:37 (permalink)
    A new guy who volunteers all the needed information, and then works through the tutorials???
    I must be going crazy, this just can't be happening...
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: from an absolute beginner 2007/08/23 17:50:14 (permalink)
    Whats not happening, the volunteering part or the going crazy part?!?

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1