V-vocal pops and clicks and latency?

Author
msr
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 250
2007/10/23 13:32:51 (permalink)

V-vocal pops and clicks and latency?

I am using Sonar 6.2.1 PE and working with V-Vocal clips. I am following all the unwritten rules like only having one V-Vocal clip open at a time and not running a bunch of plug-ins at the same time. But I still get occasional pops and clicks when editing a V-vocal clip. I think if I increase the latency, I might get rid of this. I thought there was a way to adjust the latency within V-vocal. If so, how? Might there be another solution to this problem?

thanks. msr

6 Replies Related Threads

MikeTSH
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 491
    RE: V-vocal pops and clicks and latency? 2007/10/23 14:01:37 (permalink)
    To increase latency, in the main view (like with all the track on there and everything), go to Options>Audio

There'll be a thing at the bottom of the panel with Mixing Latency written on it. Just bump it up.

And those pops and click may be related to your RAM to no. of track ratio. How many tracks are in your project and what are your RAM settings?
    jonreingold
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: V-vocal pops and clicks and latency? 2007/10/24 00:29:46 (permalink)
    I'm not sure if this is what's happening to you, but I sometimes get pops/clicks if I'm not very careful to have the beginning and end of the selection for the v-vocal clip to be at zero wave-crossings.

Jon
    msr
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: V-vocal pops and clicks and latency? 2007/10/24 13:47:17 (permalink)
    MikeTSH: I think you are referring to the settings in the main part of Sonar. I thought there was some other setting completely inside V-Vocal within the clip editing panel. I am not sure what you mean with respect to RAM to track ratio. I have 8 tracks of original audio in the project. How do I check my RAM settings?
    MikeTSH
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 491
    RE: V-vocal pops and clicks and latency? 2007/10/24 17:11:32 (permalink)
    go to control panel and select system. it should have your RAM there :D
    Shadow of The Wind
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: V-vocal pops and clicks and latency? 2007/10/25 17:26:03 (permalink)
    You have to check, whether your pops and clicks go away, if you mix down the clip to a new track. What you have to find out is whether it is a problem of playing the clip in real time, or (, which is not unusuals,) of V-Vocal creating artifacts.
    I found out that V-Vocal dislikes my voice...

Wilko
    DenysJackson
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:V-vocal pops and clicks and latency? 2011/01/09 11:53:29 (permalink)
    Regarding V-Vocal causing Clicks and Pops on an otherwise crystal clear recording.

I've tested several versions of Sonar and V-Vocal and have discovered an issue which plagues all users recording @ 24-bit. 

When using a high quality 24 bit recording that reaches the 0db threshhold.  Converting these recordings to V-Vocal results in pops and clicks which degrades the sound quality.

Through testing I've determined this must be occuring because V-Vocal must be converting this audio sample into 16 bit format.  Thus the dynamic headroom is not sufficient to work with a sample that was recorded in 24 bit.  These clicks and pops occur at any point in the sample upon using V-Vocal in which the dynamic headroom is not sufficient. 

For example: a sample recorded in 24 bit has several instances in which the sample reaches -0.1 db's.  When converting to 16 bit... any instance which reaches this level will click and pop, because of the lack of dynamic headroom.

So in essence... the sound quality of V-Vocal appears to be lacking because it's using 16 bit samples of our work.

THE WORK AROUND (The Fix):

You can use this work around for any sample recorded at 24 bit: 
    A) Normalize the sample to 0db.
    B) Now normalize the sample to -6.0 db.   (This will make the sample's headroom within a range that V-Vocal can work with, without causing clicks and pops.) 
    C) Work with the sample in V-Vocal. 
    D) Bounce to clip. 
    E) Normalize your sample to the db level of your preference.

Until V-Vocal is changed to work with 24 bit audio samples without converting them to 16 bit.  I know of no other way to avoid the clicks and pops that occur.

Why does this occur:

24 bit recording's have more dynamic headroom than 16 bit recordings.  In layman's terms, they can "get louder" so to speak without distorting.  However converting a 24 bit recording, that reaches the 24-bit max level, to 16 bit results in distortions at any level that exceeds 16 bit's capability.

It's like having a calculator which can only work up to the number 100 and trying to plug in the number 101.  It just doesn't fit.  But in the audio world it results in the distorted clicks and pops that occur.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1