What Are The Filepaths For Dim Pro/LE's Raw Samples?

Author
Nick P
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3112
2007/10/25 17:53:08 (permalink)

What Are The Filepaths For Dim Pro/LE's Raw Samples?

I own DimPro and now have installed DimLE as part of my S7 upgrade. If DimLE is more resource friendly, I'd like to try using it. BTW, for some reason my Garritan Pocket Orchestra was not showing up in the DimLE Program browser, but was showing up in the program folder. Thus, the solution was a quick "F5" refresh in the program browser. Now it shows up.

However this has me thinking. Are there now two sets of raw samples for each of these soft-synths? I realize programs only point to samples, so hopefully there's just one pool of samples that both soft-synths access. However I do seem to recall moving the default location of my DimPro raw samples when I installed it.

Also, could someone "point" (no pun intended) me to the thread which explains what to do if you want to change the default location of your Dimension (Pro or LE) programs or samples. As I recall it has something to do with an associated registry entry that must be changed.

Thanks!

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!

12 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: What Are The Filepaths For Dim Pro/LE's Raw Samples? 2007/10/25 23:35:01 (permalink)
    Here are the registry keys for relocating sample sets for the various Cakewalk Expression engine synths. For other instruments like Studio Instruments from Cakewalk (which I don't have) I assume they follow the same basic pattern--perhaps someone with Studio Instruments installed could check their registry to confirm the similar settings:

Project5 Dimension (original)
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Dimension\Multisamples Folder"
    C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Dxi\Dimension\

Dimension LE
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Dimension LE\Multisamples Folder"
    C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Dxi\Dimension LE
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Dimension LE\Contents Folder"

Dimension Pro
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Dimension Pro\Multisamples Folder"
    C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Dimension Pro\Contents Folder"
    C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\

Rapture
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Rapture\Multisamples Folder"
    C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Rapture
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Rapture\Contents Folder"
    C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Rapture

Rapture LE
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Rapture LE\Multisamples Folder"
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Rapture LE\Contents Folder"

RXP
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\RXP\Multisamples Folder"
    C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Dxi\RXP
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\RXP\Contents Folder"
    C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Dxi\RXP

Session Drummer 2
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SessionDrummer2\Multisamples Folder"
    C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\Session Drummer 2
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SessionDrummer2\Contents Folder"
    C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\Session Drummer 2

Notes:
    1. If you find that these don't exist in your registry then the instrument is assuming a default value. You can create the entry and give it a string value pointing to a path on your system where multisamples are located and it will begin looking there on the next instantiation. On my system I have my vstplugins in a different folder than the Cakewalk default ("C:\Program Files\vstplugins" vs "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\vstplugins") because they are shared with other applications. Your system may be different.

2. When creating an entry or modifying an entry you may or may not (depending upon the instrument--see the examples above) need to include a trailing slash / character at the end of the path. The original Project5 Dimension needed the trailing slash and Dimension Pro on my system includes the trailing slash, but Dimension LE and Rapture don't seem to have it.

3. If you change one of these registry entries and then receive errors from the instrument on the next instantiation about it not being able to find samples then you have placed an incorrect value into the registry entry. That is, what you entered into the registry does not match the actual file path location of the multisamples. Just put the correct path in and restart the instrument to resolve this problem.

4. Look at the readme and help files and manuals to learn how the instrument uses these keys to search for its sample sets.

5. The process for moving your sample sets to a new location is two steps: a) physically move your samples; b) update the above pointers in the registry for the appropriate instrument.

6. Moving samples around and pointing instruments to a common directory is an interesting way to share one instrument's multisamples with another. For instance, want to use your Dimension Pro multisamples in Rapture? Point them to the same location.

WARNING: Fooling around with the registry is dangerous and not recommended nor supported.
    post edited by techead - 2007/10/26 08:09:18
    Nick P
    RE: What Are The Filepaths For Dim Pro/LE's Raw Samples? 2007/10/26 06:02:11 (permalink)
    Thx, Bob. What about the actual filepaths to the samples? Or did you give that to me? I'm not a complete expert at Windows, but I do know how to search through a hard drive. Thanks!

techead
    RE: What Are The Filepaths For Dim Pro/LE's Raw Samples? 2007/10/26 07:15:53 (permalink)
    Launch regedit.exe from your "Start | Run" menu in Windows and then navigate to those keys mentioned previously. When you find the key look at its value and it will tell you what path is in use. If a particular value does not exist then the particular synth is assuming a default value from install time. I have added the default assumed values in the previous post with the registry entries and expanded that post with some additional notes and values for other Cakewalk ExpressionEngine instruments. In fact, I'll post this to the Wiki as well.

Edit: Expression Engine Multisample Relocation
    post edited by techead - 2007/10/26 08:10:57
    Nick P
    RE: What Are The Filepaths For Dim Pro/LE's Raw Samples? 2007/10/26 09:00:33 (permalink)
    Thanks again, Bob!

techead
    RE: What Are The Filepaths For Dim Pro/LE's Raw Samples? 2007/10/26 18:24:41 (permalink)
    You are welcome, Nick. Did you try using any of these to relocate multisamples yet?
    Nick P
    RE: What Are The Filepaths For Dim Pro/LE's Raw Samples? 2007/10/26 22:30:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: techead

You are welcome, Nick. Did you try using any of these to relocate multisamples yet?

Not yet. Time is my most valuable and most scare resource right now.

wetdentist
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1129
    RE: What Are The Filepaths For Dim Pro/LE's Raw Samples? 2008/06/03 13:00:58 (permalink)
    i'm trying to make this process happen with Rapture, now that i just purchased the Galbanum Piscis expansion pack last night. i think i pretty much have done the same thing that i did with Dimension Pro (moving my multisamples to my H drive) but whenever i open up Rapture now, i'm getting that error that claims the multisamples cannot be found. any additional pointers would be greatly appreciated

3.5 Ghz AMD 6-Core/16 gigs RAM, Roland Quad-Capture, Win 10, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Komplete 10, z3ta+, Z3TA+ 2, Rapture, Maschine 2.7 (MKI & Jam), Melodyne 4 Studio, Ozone 4, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2, Schecter Damien Elite, Fender Sonoran w/TronicalTune Plus installed, etc 
    go here to hear Wet Dentist (2000-2016 RIP)
    my new sounds: The Das Kaput

Nick P
    RE: What Are The Filepaths For Dim Pro/LE's Raw Samples? 2008/06/03 17:53:00 (permalink)
    As I understand it, with Rapture you're faced with 2 file locations. On XP location 1) is C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Rapture. You can put your multisamples folder in there and create the corresponding registry entry as described above. This, I believe, is the default location, so you may not need the registry entry.

Now for programs, they (assuming Rapture 1.1) go in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Cakewalk\Rapture. Now here's one tricky thing. There's a registry entry that has the file path for program files as C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Rapture. Yet the actual programs folder, and where the browser demands it be it seems, is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Cakewalk\Rapture. Another gotcha - this folder can't be found using a normal drilldown - i.e. My Computer - C - etc... You have to type this location in the address bar of Windows Explorer.

Isn't this inspiring? Just makes you want to run out to a field and create a bunch of real art. Ughh.

wetdentist
    RE: What Are The Filepaths For Dim Pro/LE's Raw Samples? 2008/06/03 18:38:52 (permalink)
    nick, thanks for the tip regarding the Application Data location, but i still need to figure out how to point to the multisamples that i have put on my H drive. currently, i'm in a state where p5 crashes via a deluge of fatal errors when i try to open up Rapture

3.5 Ghz AMD 6-Core/16 gigs RAM, Roland Quad-Capture, Win 10, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Komplete 10, z3ta+, Z3TA+ 2, Rapture, Maschine 2.7 (MKI & Jam), Melodyne 4 Studio, Ozone 4, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2, Schecter Damien Elite, Fender Sonoran w/TronicalTune Plus installed, etc 
    go here to hear Wet Dentist (2000-2016 RIP)
    my new sounds: The Das Kaput

Nick P
    RE: What Are The Filepaths For Dim Pro/LE's Raw Samples? 2008/06/03 20:19:42 (permalink)
    You need to use regedit and make the registry entry. re-read techead's post above.

wetdentist
    RE: What Are The Filepaths For Dim Pro/LE's Raw Samples? 2008/06/03 20:35:32 (permalink)
    Yeah, i've done all that and tried re-installing Rapture a couple times. Rapture doesn't seem to have a Multisamples Folder in its registry. i created one, but that didn't seem to fix anything. maybe i'll give up on this one and just re-install Rapture again and keep all the multisamples on the C drive, left wondering why such a seemingly simple task should turn out to be such a nightmare
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: What Are The Filepaths For Dim Pro/LE's Raw Samples? 2008/06/03 21:44:57 (permalink)
    If Rapture doesn't have an entry an entry:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Rapture\Multisamples Folder"

then I advice you ininstall, and reinstall. The installation process creates these registry entries, and Rapture uses it to locate the Multisamples folder.

If you install with default settings, including the new programs all will work for you.

Don't forget the Rapture Extension Packs 1 and 2 from Cakewalk available for download on the site here to registered users, too.

--kwgm
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1