Output Midi as Audio?

Author
telsam
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2007/11/01 15:04:09 (permalink)

Output Midi as Audio?

Hi, Newbie to this Forum and Sonar, I would like some help please.

I have created a project using both Audio tracks and Midi tracks. The midi tracks contain data from the piano roll feature, and drum mapper and I would like to know if it is possible to convert this data to Audio so that i can export the project to Windows Media Player.
Forgive me, I am a complete novice at this, I am using Realtek HD Audio soundcard set at MMe driver? I have tried to use Dreamstation DXi2 and that works so long as I want a synth, but I am wanting to use the drum sequence I set out in Drum mapper, and piano in the piano roll.
Help, please?

Thanks

29 Replies Related Threads

satorizero
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/01 15:12:30 (permalink)
    Well, if youre completely done with the whole song and wanna hear it in the media player, then the process you can do is hit CTRL + A (which selects all the tracks), and then go to file > export > audio and choose your export option, riff wave etc.

If you want to make them audio WITHIN sonar however, thats another story, and a tiny bit more complicated. The easiest way is what i said at first.
    post edited by satorizero - 2007/11/01 15:24:11
    telsam
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/01 15:33:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for your reply, yes I've tried that and the only output I'm getting from Windows M P are the tracks I recorded as audio tracks, ( namely guitar, vocals) I cannot hear the drum track and piano track from W.M.P. although they are the longest in the project and the file in WMP is the same length as those files. I'm either missing something major, or really small?
    So, after a thought - my problem is > Windows Media Player is not 'seeing' those tracks, which is why I thought they would have to be converted to audio within Sonar.
    I exported theproject under .wma format ??

Sorry if I ned a bit of hand-holding, an artist perhaps, a sound engineer? mmm..

Any furthwer suggestions would be seized upon gratefully

Thanks
    satorizero
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/01 15:39:41 (permalink)
    Yeah, its not the players fault, its sonar not exporting it correctly. Thats very odd, CTRL A'ing the tracks should do it everytime, just wanna make sure, theres no tracks muted or soloed? What you hear is what should be being exported. The other way to do it, is to highlight and "Bounce to Track" each individual midi/synth track you have and put it on a new track, thus making it an audio track. Im not sure what sonar LE has, but if its anything like Sonar Studio or Producer edition, then that option is under Edit> Bounce to tracks. After that is done, just export all audio tracks and that should work. BTW, there may be a good chance the LE version wont let you do some certain things, like export synths and such, just a thought...

p.s. make sure when youre exporting that you choose the preset (if sonar le has them) that says "what you hear"
    post edited by satorizero - 2007/11/01 15:54:50
    telsam
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/01 16:04:55 (permalink)
    Thanks again for replying,
    I've tried your suggestion and still no joy, I've tried bouncing to an audio track but I get a screen saying 'selection does not contain audio data' I hope you can indulge me a little further - As i said earlier I have created these two midi tracks from within the Piano Roll feature with my mouse I do not have any external Midi equipment. I haven't done anything else to the tracks apart from play them alongside the audio tracks within Sonar LE, is there anything else i need to do to the midi tracks to prepare them for export? I did run the piano track thru Dreamstation DXi but it changed the sound to a synthesizer, no suprise there then, but DXi would allow me to change the track to audio, and there ends my knowledge of DXi's !

I am walking away from the PC to re-attach my hair, many thanks for your patience, I hope I have given you a good enough explanation of what I have done, if there is something glaringly obvious I missed I apologise for my ignorance, I you can help me out I would be ever so grateful.

Thanks
    satorizero
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/01 16:11:38 (permalink)
    No, its my pleasure to help you out. I think i may have the answer now, im gonna guess from the first post you posted, that you have no synthesizer/dxi attached to your midi tracks? In order to have the drum and piano sound you HAVE to send it to a synth/dxi. I personally send my drums to Fxpansion BFD and my piano to Akoustik Piano from NI, but newer versions of Sonar come with a fairly descent Piano which is in TTS and (only in the newest sonars) they give you a great drum program called Session Drummer 2, but earlier sonars again had TTS which could do drums and piano. If i am not wrong about this assumption, then that, along with my earlier responses, should take care of it, let me know if i am on the right path....
    post edited by satorizero - 2007/11/01 16:23:11
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/01 16:22:30 (permalink)
    Hello telsam,
    It looks like you are mapping MIDI through the Microsoft Wavetable synth built into the Realtek. There is a way to get the sound recorded, but not with a bounce or export. Satorizero is on the right track, though.
    I'm at work, so I just have a minute.
    Give your hair a break for about four hours, and I will check in when I get home.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    RobertB
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/01 21:15:26 (permalink)
    Ok, I'm back.
    Before we get started, there are a few things you will want to be aware of. This method records the audio after it has made the round trip through your sound card, which will induce some latency. It can be corrected after the tracks are recorded, but it is pretty much unavoidabe with the AC97 chips. Leave some dead space at the beginning of your tracks. This is good policy anyway.
    Open your Windows Volume Control. Click Options>Properties>Recording. Click OK. Select Stereo Mix. Set the volume around midrange.
    Now click Options>Properties>Playback. You will see Volume control and SW Synth, among others. Keep this open, but you can minimize it for now.
    Open Sonar LE. In the Toolbar, click Options>MIDI Devices. At the moment, you may only see Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth as an option.
    If it is not already highlighted, highlight it. Click OK.
    Now, insert an Audio track in the project. Set the Input to Stereo Realtek AC 97 Audio. Arm the track for Record, and hit Play. The meters in the Audio track should move, indicating that you are getting the signal. So far so good?
    Most likely you will only want to record the drum or piano by itself, so Solo that MIDI track. Now rewind, and hit Play. You should only hear the selected instrument. Still good? Rewind, and hit Record. Let it play all the way through. You should see the waveform draw as it records.
    If the levels are not quite right, you can pull the Volume control back up to make adjustments.
    OK, now you have the MIDI on an Audio track, but it is most likely a little behind the rest of your tracks. Highlight the audio track, click Process>Nudge in the toolbar. Select one of the Nudge Left options. This will slide the whole track forward in time. This can be somewhat trial and error, but you'll get it. Once you have everything lined up, you are ready to export to RIFF Wave as you have been.
    The Windows Recording Control is the key, and you will have to open it from time to time to select the proper inputs.
    This is kind of a nuisance, but it reads worse than it really is.
    It is much, much easier with the softsynths satorizero mentioned, but you don't get those with SLE.
    There are a few websites, such as KVRAudio and Gersic.com that offer several free softsynths to work with. I would highly recommend exploring those.
    Hope that helps. Good luck, and have fun!

post edited by RobertB - 2007/11/01 21:28:43

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    pistolpete
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1584
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/01 21:29:32 (permalink)
    RobertB is an avid AC97 fan. However, I would suggest that you upgrade your system with a better soundcard.
    Your sound quality will be greatly enhanced.
    RobertB
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/01 21:59:41 (permalink)
    lol. That's not entirely accurate, but yes, a proper sound card will make for a much more pleasant experience.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    telsam
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/02 00:10:36 (permalink)
    Hi
    Thanks guys,
    I too have to work in a proper job, but, as soon as, I will go thru your instructions letter by letter!
    I will let you know how I get on if that's OK?
    Thanks for the advice on soundcards and soft synths too, I will check those out, ( I have Dreamstation DXi2 and Cyclone, any good?)

Later.....
    RobertB
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/02 00:44:03 (permalink)
    Absolutely. Let us know how you are doing. There are many people stopping by throughout the day, willing to help if you have more questions.
    As to Dreamstation, it is a basic synth. It is fun but it is not designed to emulate the sounds of a General MIDI synth like the MS Wavetable synth.
    Cyclone is a Sampler. It is essentially an empty box as you received it but it is capable of playing many sounds. I haven't messed with it, but I am sure others have explored its capabilities. There are hundreds of synths available for free or purchase, some better than others.
    Do you have a keyboard/MIDI controller?

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    telsam
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/02 00:45:10 (permalink)
    HI again,
    RobertB > I followed your instructions, but the audio track won't record the midi track, I can hear the midi track(piano) through my speakers, and the meter in the audiotrack is 'bobbling' slightly which would indicate a signal ? but it's not picking it up. I have everythng set up on Realtek to your instructions, could somrthing more sinister be at play ??

Now where's my quiet corner !

telsam
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/02 00:47:03 (permalink)
    RobertB > No, I don't have a keyboard/ midi contoller, ( just read your message)

T
    RobertB
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/02 00:53:51 (permalink)
    Double check your levels in the Windows controls. You may have to turn them up a bit.
    It's time for me to go to bed, but I will check those instructions tomorrow to make sure I didn't miss something.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    telsam
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/03 07:21:20 (permalink)
    Hi again, Well I seem to be going round in circles! I have tried what you said I have all i/o set to max, and - nothing, not a squeak. I understand everything you have asked me to do is correct as since you told me what to do I have seen other people on other web pages saying the same thing so I know your'e right, If I may just briefly explain my set-up perhaps it may shed light in a corner??
    I have Sonar LE, Realtek AC97 HD, a Samson USB Mic and that's about it !

I have the AC97 set to mme drivers, and as you specified both I/O open on it.

I can hear the midi track thru my speakers, but the 'recording' audio track just is'nt picking it up.

Apols for being such a pain, I have been looking around for a suitable soft-synth or two ( I know that method of converting Midi > Audio works) problem with that is I like the sound of the piano and drums in Sonar LE and don't want to change them, there is straight conversion software out there but it can be a bit pricey, the free stuff doesn't seem up to much.

Before I go , someone mentioned upgrading my soundcard, but, because I have only ever known AC97 in my brief affair with this PC I'm not sure what's good and what isn't.
    I don't want to start a debate on soundcards, but a nod in the right direction would be fantastic.

Cheers m'dears

telsam
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/03 07:23:15 (permalink)
    Oh Amendment to last message, I use an audio line in my PC for my Guitars too,

Bye for now
    T
    RobertB
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/03 14:17:25 (permalink)
    Hello T,
    For the moment, disconnect the USB mic. I doubt that's the root of the problem, but let's eliminate it as a variable.
    From your Windows Control Panel, open Sounds and Audio Devices. Confirm that Realtek AC97 Audio is selected for both playback and recording. MIDI musc playback should show Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth.
    Now click the Volume button under Sound recording. In the Recording Control, make sure Stereo Mix is checked. Note that this is a radio button. It will allow only one choice. To record your guitar from Line In, you will need to come back here to select that.
    It looks like you have everything else set correctly, and this is the one setting that will allow you to record "what you hear".
    Let me know how it goes.
    What free stuff have you tried? Some of it is actually fairly decent.
    On the sound card front, Beagle, one of our members, has put together a comparison chart that may give you some insight.
    Here's the link
    http://homerecording.beaglesound.com/9.html
    post edited by RobertB - 2007/11/03 14:30:38

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    telsam
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/03 17:36:11 (permalink)
    Hello again,

Ok, everything is as you say it is until I get to 'recording control' I cannot find a button called 'stereo mix' what I get up is a screen with a bank of faders 'CD volume', 'mic vol', 'line vol', and 'master vol', all are set to max, 'line volume' is checked.

I will have another go at recording the soundcard and report back, I'm afraid I cannot remember the free soft-synths I tried but to be honest I don't know if they, or me were up to speed. I have got a trial version of a midi-converter (Wavepad) and that seems to do the business, but I have to select the midi tracks seperately, run them through the converter and back into Sonar for the mix-down.
    Thanks for the soundcard comparison link, I will check it out, it will be interesting for me to see where my AC97 sits in the pecking order !

thanks again

Telsam
    RobertB
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/03 18:15:03 (permalink)
    Aha!
    Your last post tipped of the disconnect. Your Master Vol is what reads as Stereo Mix here. Select that.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    telsam
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/04 04:57:10 (permalink)
    ok, now I have my 'I've-had-enough-where's-the-hammer' head on, there's got to be something wrong with the soundcard. I have done everything you advised, I/O's checked, master vol checked and maxed, and zilch. Bizzarly, if I check 'CD Volume' fader on the screen I mentioned earlier, and mute everything else apsrt from Master Vol, I do get some signal in the recording track, but not strong enought o record.???

I think it's time to walk away from this one

Tel

CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/05 02:57:01 (permalink)
    The Realtec and the usb mic aren't the best things to use and record with, but the realtec is your akelies heal. Since your finnaly walking away from the sound card, you should get onbe with mic pre in it and then get an ordinary condensor mic if your having problems with the usb mic.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    telsam
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/05 14:45:14 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Thanks for that, I will certainly look into the soundcard you mentioned, up to now I've had no probs with the usb mic, I get the same probs with the soundcard whether the Samson mic's plugged in or not, although ( light bulb on head moment) it is still registered as an input when unplugged, Mmmm.....

Anyway, thank you all for the advice you've given, it has helped a lot, it's a bit nerve-racking when asking for advice as a total novice to recording on PC, but you guys have been great.

Fabulous forum, great people.

Tel
    satorizero
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/05 21:57:59 (permalink)
    I think you should upgrade to 7 :-)
    RobertB
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/05 22:11:49 (permalink)
    Tel,
    I totally agree with CJ. We have been trying to make the best of what you have to work with, but it is far from ideal. The particular sound card(chip) you have may not be capable of full duplex activity(ie simultaneous record/playback). A modest investment of $100-200 would make a world of difference. The USB mics tend to limit you to using MME driver mode, which is less than ideal.
    We gave it a good college try, but soft synths are your best bet.
    Don't worry about being a total novice. We all were at one point. I would have been lost without these forums.
    Just keep pushing forward, and ask questions when you need to. Visit some of the other forums, too. There is a ton of information here.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/06 03:54:16 (permalink)
    If you are only using internal general midi sounds you could easily translate them into sound fonts wich can be bounced (and edited with inserts and sends wich can make a world of difference). Google the net for free soundfonts and you will find dozens of web pages with them and either download GM-banks or, preferably, find some nice soundfonts of the instruments you use. Then download rcg audio's free Sfz player, scan for new plugins, open sonar and in sonar open the synth rack and inser as many Sfz as you have miditracks and then load up the soundfonts and move the miditracks to the appropriate sfz midi-track.

Sure, you can find lots of other soft synts that will let you work more with the sounds but sound fonts is a good start.
    telsam
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/07 02:12:15 (permalink)
    HI again everybody,

Thanks for all your comments and advise. I'm actually one step ahead for once!! Decided to go down the soft-synth route for now, I'll use what I have FOR NOW, maybe get christmas out the way and see about upgrading soundcard and Sonar.

After all said and done, this is very much a 'suck-it-and-see' experiment for me, I am generally more of a lyricist, that's where my heaart lies, someone close suggested I recorded some of my stuff myself, when I got Sonar LE shipped with my Samson Mic and i loaded it up it blew my mind!! I had no idea this sort of recording capability could be available to me at these prices and better still FREE!! . I think what I'm saying is > when I get my head around how all this stuff actually works and get some tracks down, then I am definetely looking to upgrade!

Thanks again, ( I will be popping in again, so don't go anywhere!!)

telsam
    telsam
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/17 09:57:12 (permalink)
    Mmm OK, Help again please!,

I am using some soft-synths to produce an output suitable to 'bounce' to audio tracks and that seems fairly straight forward, however, when I have a project with say, 10 tracks, 3 of which are midi with a different soft-synth patched to each one, the rest audio, and I come to bouncing one midi track to audio I'm getting an empty new track, if i include an empty track in the mixdown dialog box along with the track i am bouncing I get a 'Mixdown Abort, ran out of Memory' alert.

Now, this particular project is only three and a half minutes long and not complicated in the slightest.

Surely it cannot be referring to hard drive? (can it?)

If I replicate the same midi track in a project where it is the only track, it mixes down great, but it seems to need the empty track included in the dialog box to bounce to a new track???

Have I explained this properly? I hope so, any help would be great, thanks

Telsam

RobertB
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/17 20:31:16 (permalink)
    Your explanation is fine. What are your system specs?

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    telsam
    RE: Output Midi as Audio? 2007/11/23 04:18:47 (permalink)
    Hi Robertb, thanks for your reply, in between writing my question and answering your reply I think I've got it working.

Basically I am 'Soloing' both the midi track that has the soft-synth patched, and the output track from the soft-synth and then bouncing to track, and that is working for me.

I am fairly sure that the probs I am facing are partly down to the fact that I have a 'regular' kind of soundcard? I'm not quite sure what system I have but I know it's not an 'all-singin-all-dancin' bells and whistles ! I think I have a AMD athlon cpu ? does that sound right ? 80GB harddrive 2MB ram ? Realtek '97, Indeo something -or -other, ( I did warn you I was a novice, right?)

Anyhoo, as I say, I think I have the beast tamed for now ! it's doing what I ask of it, for now, Maybe someone looking over my shoulder might buy me a better system for christmas ? lol
    Thanks again,

Telsam
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1