Reasons Why Pro Mixes Beat Home Mixes

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
RE: Reasons Why Pro Mixes Beat Home Mixes 2007/11/02 18:49:16 (permalink)
Funny... Of course this is technique-related. So it get moved.

Yet truly OT posts (like the "Top Posting" thread) remain. I guess if you want to go OT, you better do it soooooo OT that they can't relocate your post anywhere.

It would be cool if the link to the moved discussions remained on the main forum though, like it used to.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
SvenArne
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2719
RE: Reasons Why Pro Mixes Beat Home Mixes 2007/11/02 18:57:40 (permalink)
As I've stated in a new thread in the main forum, I think that stripping that forum of the valuable and educational technique-related threads makes this whole place a lot poorer. I could certainly bear it if the gear-related threads were also left there.

Sven

droddey
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5147
RE: Reasons Why Pro Mixes Beat Home Mixes 2007/11/02 19:18:07 (permalink)
There are obvious reasons for having separate sections. If everything is in one section, it becomes huge a big white noise. If people aren't interested in techniques, then they shouldn't have to skip over them. If they are, they are just as capable of clicking on this section as we are.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
Dave Modisette
  • Total Posts : 11050
RE: Reasons Why Pro Mixes Beat Home Mixes 2007/11/02 20:15:55 (permalink)
A pro arrangement makes a huge difference on a pro recording.
You've hit one of the major nails on the head.

Want to learn about clear mixes where everything is heard? Do a half dozen record copies and play everything exactly like the record and try to imitate the same effects and all. You'd be surprised how many big punchy tracks, have very little going on in them. Radical EQ isn't necessary because instruments aren't competing for space because the arranger fixed it before tracking begun or the mixer just threw out 6 or 7 doubled guitar tracks.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
droddey
RE: Reasons Why Pro Mixes Beat Home Mixes 2007/11/02 20:50:12 (permalink)
It's not even that there's not a lot going on, so much as choosing instruments and tones that don't conflict with each other. You can have a lot of tracks if they are all well constrained in terms of frequency so that they don't fight each other, and even more so if the song writing is such that they are playing at different times mostly. If lots of frequency space is filled up, but not in a conflicting way, it can sound big without sounding messy.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
RobertB
  • Total Posts : 11256
RE: Reasons Why Pro Mixes Beat Home Mixes 2007/11/02 21:39:31 (permalink)
I have to respectfully disagree with you, Sven. Many of the threads in the Gear and Techniques forums apply to users of all the variations of Cakewalk software and in many cases are not software specific at all.
This particular thread highlights ideas that are of benefit to many users who might never see it, were it in the Sonar forum.
I don't see it as "stripping the main forum" of valuable information. I see it as making this information available to everybody, and in fact making "this whole place" much richer.
post edited by RobertB - 2007/11/02 21:53:15

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
RE: Reasons Why Pro Mixes Beat Home Mixes 2007/11/02 23:50:54 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: nprime

Less is often more.

+1. the tendency for the hobbyist/amateur is to throw on more stuff to make it sound better (which i am more than well acquainted with ). but if it doesn't sound good solo (just you and the guitar/piano/hammond/whatever) then chances are no amount of additional tracks will make any difference.

- jack the ex-cynic
bunnyfluffer
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: Reasons Why Pro Mixes Beat Home Mixes 2007/11/03 03:09:25 (permalink)
performance IS production

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
RE: Reasons Why Pro Mixes Beat Home Mixes 2007/11/03 06:30:26 (permalink)
Great thread, really interesting read.

I think it's unnecessary for this thread to be moved to the Techniques forum. It's the kind of thread that makes the Sonar PE/SE forum interesting to follow. In fact I'd like for the Techniques forum to be removed altogether. I'd like these educational, nice threads to remain in the place where the traffic is!

I'd rather it was here Sven, I suspect it would be 6 pages of nonsense and back-biting by now if it hadn't been moved here...

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
esmail1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: Reasons Why Pro Mixes Beat Home Mixes 2007/11/03 06:32:57 (permalink)

N Prime has said it best... it is all about the arrangement. A properly arranged song, could be mixed with just one instrument and voice and it would be perfect.

The "arrangement" to me... is not an arrangement of Instruments (as commonly misconstrued) it is rather the arrangement of notes. The economy of notes to the progression.

If songs are thought of in this manner, they can easily be played with just one instrument and a vocal...and that is all you need for the "mix".....

Tonight im working on a ballad.... trying to work the right tempo so that it flows best...and the mix will flow from there.

As an example, think "Holding Back the Years" from Simply Red.... that is an example of economy of notes to the progression, which could sound fantastic no matter who is singing it or what arrangement of instruments is behind it...

that makes the mix, imo. everyting after that is just gravy

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lbQl14tJIWM
post edited by esmail1 - 2007/11/03 06:38:31
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
RE: Reasons Why Pro Mixes Beat Home Mixes 2007/11/03 07:10:03 (permalink)
The "arrangement" to me... is not an arrangement of Instruments (as commonly misconstrued) it is rather the arrangement of notes. The economy of notes to the progression. If songs are thought of in this manner, they can easily be played with just one instrument and a vocal...and that is all you need for the "mix".....

Absolutely agree. If the song isn't properly worked out before mixing starts, no amount of tweaking, plug-ins, double-tracking or final mastering will save it. If you have the song nailed, it all flows from there.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
yep
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4057
RE: Reasons Why Pro Mixes Beat Home Mixes 2007/11/03 11:56:56 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: j boy

Don't underestimate the importance of the source in the equation!...

Aye.

The most important factors to a good mix, in decending order are:

1. The musical quality of the recorded performance(s)
2. The skill and talent of the mix engineer
3. The sound quality of the recorded tracks
4. The accuracy or versatility of the acoustical environment and playback system(s) that the mix engineer is using
5. The quality/versatility of the mix engineer's processors, effects, and signal chain

3 and 4 are actually probably a tie, and somewhat genre-dependent. Pro mixes often have home mixes beat on all counts.

A pro arrangement is certainly a huge boon, as is a great song, but sometimes as engineers we are called upon to produce good mixes of lesser material, and there are a lot of tools available to a modern mix engineer to "re-arrange" songs during mixdown. In fact I think one of the prime differences between home producers and studio engineers is a willingness to leave recorded material out of the mix.

A lot of hard rock bands in particular will come into the studio and just play a solid block of two or three alternating riffs straight through the entire song, with every verse and every chorus identical to the last, i.e. no real arrangement. To simply balance all these tracks and let them roll is likely to produce a fairly, dead, boring, lifeless mix, no matter how good the balance and the gear and all that.

So let's say you take verse one and strip out everything but second guitar and the vocal, and thin it all out into a very low-fi, bandwidth limited "telephone" sound. Then maybe chorus 1, you drop out the vocal (heresy, I know) and bring the kick/snare/hi-hat with the jangly guitar 2, all still "telephoned," and then only at the start of verse 2 do you open up the filters and bring in bass and the main guitar riff. Suddenly sounds huge. As the verse 2 vocal comes in, we maybe mute the main riff and just let jangly guitar 2 come through. Chorus 2 is the first time we hear the chorus vocal and now we let all the instruments roll. Verse 3 or the bridge we take out everything but the kick, snare, and vocal, and maybe put the vocal back through the "telephone" with a huge kick/snare beat pounding away, and then bring in the bassline behind it and the rest of the drums. Chorus 3 we open everything up and add in a tiny amount of woodblock or cowbell rushing the quarter-notes to give it a little urgency and let that keep going as we go into Verse 4/outro where we let that main guitar riff finally take center stage and push back the vocals a little bit.

Now you've turned a flat, brick-like arrangement into something pretty dynamic and exciting where no two parts are the same, and didn't even break a sweat. Is it Tin Pan Alley? No, but as rock arrangements go it's maybe not half-bad, certainly a lot more interesting with a lot more textures and changes than simply alternating two riffs that all the instruments hammer on over and over for four minutes, and it's probably going to beat the pants off of a home studio demo where they just let tape roll the whole time and throw in some eq and compression presets.

Cheers.
post edited by yep - 2007/11/03 12:01:13
yep
RE: Reasons Why Pro Mixes Beat Home Mixes 2007/11/03 12:00:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SvenArne

As I've stated in a new thread in the main forum, I think that stripping that forum of the valuable and educational technique-related threads makes this whole place a lot poorer. I could certainly bear it if the gear-related threads were also left there.

Sven

I never go to the Sonar forum anymore, so I'm always happy to see interesting threads down here in the "General" ghetto. The signal-to-noise is much better here, generally (pun intended).

Cheers.
Jessie Sammler
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2111
RE: Reasons Why Pro Mixes Beat Home Mixes 2007/11/03 19:26:28 (permalink)
post edited by Jessie Sammler - 2008/07/08 23:35:37
droddey
RE: Reasons Why Pro Mixes Beat Home Mixes 2007/11/03 20:21:50 (permalink)
Actually, I'm the father of a new school called "Talentless Minimalism". We use fewer tracks because we suck, and that is why we are great artists.
post edited by droddey - 2007/11/04 01:58:12

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
ru
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
RE: Reasons Why Pro Mixes Beat Home Mixes 2007/11/04 01:46:16 (permalink)
i love that new movement. especially the trend toward barely audible tracks. finally, some modesty in the industry.
yep
RE: Reasons Why Pro Mixes Beat Home Mixes 2007/11/04 12:11:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: droddey

Actually, I'm the father of a new school called "Talentless Minimalism". We use fewer tracks because we suck, and that is why we are great artists.

LOL
I remember some years back seeing a flyer for a band that advertized "freeform punk-jazz improvisation." I picture a bunch of slack-jawed punk rocker types with low-slung, out-of-tune guitars just making squeaky feedback noises in free time, and every so often one of them would burst into a follow-the-dots bar chord riff followed by a pick slide.

I'm not sure if it was a joke, but I always kind of regretted not attending the show.

Cheers.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1