Latin song new mix hoping final made in Sonar 7

Author
atljam
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2007/11/04 23:05:56 (permalink)

Latin song new mix hoping final made in Sonar 7

Hi all

Been working on this tune with a Brazillian singer, Nayara Challub who helped me translate my lyrics to Portuguese and sang it.

It has a spanish flavor in terms of chord structure but its rhythmic structure is more bossa.

anyway I'm close to finishing this project using Sonar 7 and wanted to see if anyone had any critique to offer in terms of mix, instruments, etc.

thanks for listening:

HE'S GONE - latin song

Dan
post edited by atljam - 2007/11/05 12:04:47

Sonar 7, Yamaha XS8, ck out how Sonar works at:
http://tech4business.com/music/MusicSampler/tabid/122/Default.aspx

16 Replies Related Threads

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Latin song new mix hoping final made in Sonar 7 2007/11/05 11:37:24 (permalink)
    Shades of Jobim/Gilberto! Sra. Challub does indeed have a lovely voice. However, I think there's considerably too much delay on her voice, it literally sounds like an echo behind her. The mix might use some work. Occasionally it sounds like there's some percussion, but it's really buried. The guitar work is nice, but not as clear as it could be. If there's a bass line I can't hear it. It seems to be suggested by the guitar more than anything. As far as the song itself: it sounds very good, just the mix needs work.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    atljam
    RE: Latin song new mix hoping final made in Sonar 7 2007/11/05 11:51:34 (permalink)
    Hi Mark,

thanks for the input. the vocal track came to me with an echo, must be the vocalist's environment or use of low-q equipment or probably both, so not sure how to offset that issue.
    on the rest of the mix I'll start experimenting with some of the areas you suggested needed attention. I probably mix to much with headsets instead of speakers and I think that has a big effect. There is definitely a bass but it might have got squashed in the last effect I used on the total mix which was in Sonar the Vintage_Channel VC 64 using the master mix preset. The Vintage Channel may be making the vocals worse also.
    As far as bringing percussion out would it best to do a midi split of the drum/percussion track and be able to control those sounds in the mix individually?
    I have a lot to learn in terms of creating mixes, thanks again for input and anyone else I appreciate comments or ideas on improvement.

Dan

DuRod
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1082
    RE: Latin song new mix hoping final made in Sonar 7 2007/11/05 12:51:55 (permalink)
    Dan, really nice latin tune and that is one beautiful voice. I would also recommend de-essing the voice a little if you can, and pulling it back in the mix slightly. Not sure if you can de-ess it at this point. Other than that, I agree with all that Mark already suggested. This is some great work though, just needs a little polishing on the mix.

DuRod
    atljam
    RE: Latin song new mix hoping final made in Sonar 7 2007/11/05 13:02:59 (permalink)
    Thanks Duane,

I have a left and right vocal track with about 3% offset from center, so are you saying spread that some more or what other method to handle that in terms of mix melt.

I split the drum track using the Cal splitter now have about 17 extra tracks various brushes, snare hits, cymbal splashes, kick, toms
    What is the best way to group these and to record their audio, what is the typical miking of a drummer split into?
    the bass track audio was quite diminished so I did an audio gain process on that track. guitars also needed boosting.

Dan

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Latin song new mix hoping final made in Sonar 7 2007/11/05 13:15:55 (permalink)
    Dan - Is that you playing guitar? Shame that she sent you her vox with that verb on it. Sweet tune tho'.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Latin song new mix hoping final made in Sonar 7 2007/11/05 13:16:41 (permalink)
    As far as drum tracks, Dan, I think that's the way to go. My last project was the first in which I used separate tracks for each drum instrument, and it ended up sounding a lot better that way. On a curent project, I'm using ten drum instruments, which will make the mix a lot of fun. As far as grouping: I'm just learning my way around in that respect, so my advice is not valuable. But I'm sure having a blast learning!
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    atljam
    RE: Latin song new mix hoping final made in Sonar 7 2007/11/05 14:25:54 (permalink)
    lhansen,
    yes I played all instruments except some of the canned arpeggios on the drums and bass from the Yamaha Motif.

as far as the voice here is a bit of the raw vocals that I originally received, see if you guys think that I can improve it or some technique to mold it.
    Raw Vocal Clip

On the drums I really don't want to record 17 audio trks so i will just group what seems to make sense.

I found this on one website: does it sound right?
    Kick: Center
    Snare: Center
    Toms: Left - Center - Right
    Cymbals: Left - Right
    Hats: Half Right

Dan

tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: Latin song new mix hoping final made in Sonar 7 2007/11/05 19:56:41 (permalink)
    As you suggested yourself, try the vox in the mix without going through those master effects. Also, you might try running vox through Vintage Channel 64 using the Hard Vocals preset, which I think gives it a drier sound.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Latin song new mix hoping final made in Sonar 7 2007/11/06 08:48:58 (permalink)
    Another useful plug-in for 'drying-up' vocals is Voxengo MSED (free too!) Bill Davies put me on to that one, worked nicely.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Latin song new mix hoping final made in Sonar 7 2007/11/06 08:52:16 (permalink)
    Nice song by the way! Lovely guitar sound and playing. She does have a nice voice, but unless I'm mistaken she is singing a touch flat - you could try a little gentle pitch-shifting on that.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    atljam
    RE: Latin song new mix hoping final made in Sonar 7 2007/11/06 12:02:08 (permalink)
    Voxengo MSED

I'll have to play with that plug-in, I also found a free deesser program which has improved the sibbilance issues.

Yes she does get flat at times, i may ask for a re-record, part of it could be her uneasiness with singing English.

thanks for taking a look at the song.

Dan

tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: Latin song new mix hoping final made in Sonar 7 2007/11/06 13:37:52 (permalink)
    Once you get it dried out, you could try using V-Vocal to repair any pitchiness.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    atljam
    RE: Latin song new mix hoping final made in Sonar 7 2007/11/09 14:48:03 (permalink)
    in trying to use V-vocal the auto correct does not seem to do much,

one area I have question about if anyone can comment is this example:

I noticed this alot with own singing too as your breath exhausts the note starts to fall,

so on this piece that I'm working her vocals will "fall off"
    but in v-vocal I don't see a correction graph of that part of the phrase, so there is nothing to grab and move to correct the dying note.

would a fade out be more appropriate in those cases or a time shift to shorten the phrase?

I got the vocalist to send me a new take and there are elements that are better and some worse in terms of performance and quality of sound, so I will probably use the multiple takes to create a good comp.

the Spitfish deessing plug-in seems so so or I'm not using it well.

also got the Voxengo MSED plugin and it is pretty good at drying up the track but it seems the loss in overall gain is a factor

in removing breaths from a vocal track what are you guys doing in terms of that, I have been basically muting those sections but it is time consuming.

One more question --- to break the vocals into separate clips anyone have a good setting to use the "remove silence" feature.

sorry for all the questions but I'm not smarter than a 5th grader...

Dan

atljam
    RE: Latin song new mix hoping final made in Sonar 7 2007/11/20 19:40:53 (permalink)
    Well I'm done tinkering with this song. I tried to employ some of the suggestions given.

The final mix is as follows:
    HE'S GONE final mix - latin song

I think I had difficulty getting a good take on the vocal, phrasing, pitch etc, tried to mess with some things like V-vocal, splitfish

When listening it all seems to vary depending on what I listen to it with, like headphones, speakers, cd version.

One day I'll get this mixing thing figured out.

the original mix is below:
    HE'S GONE - latin song

Dan

brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    RE: Latin song new mix hoping final made in Sonar 7 2007/11/20 20:48:20 (permalink)
    Hey, Dan. Nice tune. Missed it the first time, but listened to the first mix, read through the comments, and then listened to the final mix. Definite improvement on the placement, EQ and reverb on the vocal. Sibilence and pitch are still issues, and there's an odd "flanginess" in places that probably resulted from the processing to fix those problems. You get an A for your efforts to save it, but what it probably really needs is another take... or two.

The arrangement, playing and clarity of the guitars in the mix is the best part. Nice work there. Some of the percussion is still getting lost; it seems to especially to want a more distinct back beat. And the end is a little abrupt; I'm wanting to hear one final percussion beat on the one of the next bar with a bass note and a sustained guitar chord to finish it out.

post edited by brundlefly - 2007/11/20 21:01:10
    atljam
    RE: Latin song new mix hoping final made in Sonar 7 2007/11/26 00:43:54 (permalink)
    Thanks brundlefly for your comments.

Here is one more mix with a few changes to improve the drum kit, vocals, and extra bass and guitar chord at last measure to give it some finality.
    He's Gone last mix

Dan

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1